The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-08-22 17:56:27

fsmithred
Administrator

Wicd in Chimaera (It's not, but...)

Wicd is no longer maintained and is not in chimaera or ceres repos. However, someone in IRC yesterday mentioned that wicd did not get removed when they upgraded from beowulf to chimaera. So I decided to try it.

On my laptop running chimaera with xfce, I removed connman, added a single line for beowulf main repo, ran 'apt update' and then 'apt -t beowulf install wicd-gtk'. Below is posted a copy of my apt history.log showing what else got pulled in. (Disclaimer: I have not checked versions of any those packages to see which repo they came from.)

I tested wired and wireless connections, and wicd seems to be working normally. I commented out the beowulf line and ran 'apt update' again when I was done.

Start-Date: 2021-08-21  18:57:13
Commandline: apt -t beowulf install wicd-gtk
Install: python-gtk2:amd64 (2.24.0-5.1+b1, automatic), wicd-gtk:amd64 (1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1), python-is-python2:amd64 (2.7.18-9, automatic), python2-minimal:amd64 (2.7.16-1, automatic), python2:amd64 (2.7.16-1, automatic), libglade2-0:amd64 (1:2.6.4-2+b1, automatic), libpython2-stdlib:amd64 (2.7.16-1, automatic), python-dbus:amd64 (1.2.8-3, automatic), python-pkg-resources:amd64 (40.8.0-1, automatic), python-glade2:amd64 (2.24.0-5.1+b1, automatic), python-cairo:amd64 (1.16.2-1+b1, automatic), python-numpy:amd64 (1:1.16.2-1, automatic), wicd-daemon:amd64 (1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1, automatic), python-gobject-2:amd64 (2.28.6-13+b1, automatic), python-wicd:amd64 (1.7.4+tb2-6+devuan1.1, automatic)
End-Date: 2021-08-21  18:57:28

Edit: OK, I checked two packages. python-gtk2 and python-dbus are from beowulf. I don't yet know if I broke anything that depends on python3.

#2 2021-08-22 22:26:43

Magnus
Website

Re: Wicd in Chimaera (It's not, but...)

That's the way to do it if you need something that is not in the distro you are running.

Personally, I want the latest KDE, the one in Debian Experimental, so I added Debian Experimental to my sources.list and ran "aptitude upgrade -t experimental". Then I also got some other new candy. I have now been doing this every day for several weeks and have only had one problem, that VirtualBox-DKMS did not want to be compiled with Experimental's kernel 5.13.0 trunk. So I have to settle for 5.10.
In addition, I use libc6 2.33 from the latest Ubuntu release Hirsute Hippo, to be able to use the Firefox plugin ScrapBee. But now I saw that 2.32 came in Debian Experimental so I take and test it instead.
And then I run LibreOffice nightly builds 7.3_alpha because I'm love and need the new outline function which is next as good as Emacs Org Mod's outline mode. https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/dail … F/current/
I almost forgot to tell you that I use DisplayCal and for this I need some python 2 packages from Debian Buster. (I like to download my packages from Debian because I think it is easiest (I'm used to) to search for packages there.)
Must recommend snapshot.debian.org It's a real goldmine with all the packages and versions since the beginning of time. http://snapshot.debian.org/

This is one way to have fun, develop yourself and learn more about Linux. Should something go wrong I learn even more.

Last edited by Magnus (2021-08-22 22:52:41)

#3 2021-08-22 23:16:45

golinux
Administrator

That answer is non -responsive. This thread is about wicd in Chimaera not about using Debian repositories directly which btw is not a good idea but then you get to keep all the pieces.  big_smile  Please keep on-topic going forward as being able to use wicd safely will be important to many upgrading to Chimaera.

#4 2021-08-23 03:32:14

zapper

golinux wrote:

That answer is non -responsive. This thread is about wicd in Chimaera not about using Debian repositories directly which btw is not a good idea but then you get to keep all the pieces.  big_smile  Please keep on-topic going forward as being able to use wicd safely will be important to many upgrading to Chimaera.

Using debian repositories directly in devuan sounds... nutty to me.

But sometimes it works, some applications work fine that way, such as palemoon and wine... last I checked anyways.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2021-08-23 04:46:29

golinux
Administrator

PLEASE keep this thread focused on the possibility of running wicd in Chimaera.  Does it  work for you?  What issues if any?  Is it secure? Report your experiences here.

#6 2021-08-23 07:13:08

zapper

golinux wrote:

PLEASE keep this thread focused on the possibility of running wicd in Chimaera.  Does it  work for you?  What issues if any?  Is it secure? Report your experiences here.

Yeah... my bad... I have not tried chimaera's wicd yet, last I tried was beowulf and it worked there.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2021-08-23 11:07:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Is it wise to use wicd now that Python2 is obsolete? https://packages.debian.org/experimental/python3-wicd might be a better idea even if it's from experimental.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2021-08-23 18:12:32

fsmithred
Administrator

In addition to the possibility of unknown breakage, there is the possibility of security vulnerabilities that will never be fixed and probably not even reported.

I tried wicd-gtk and wicd-cli from experimental. The gtk program does not start. The cli program gives an error message. (I'd have to try it again to get the message, but I gave up after five minutes.)

HELP! Is there a python programmer in the house?

#9 2021-08-23 19:25:44

fsmithred
Administrator

Here are error messages when trying to run the experimental version of wicd in chimaera.

$ wicd-gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py", line 41, in <module>
    import gtk
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'gtk'

$ wicd-cli
Please use --wireless or --wired to specify the type of connection to operate on.
No operations performed.

$ wicd-cli --wired
No operations performed.

$ wicd-cli --wireless
No operations performed.
$ wicd-curses

Runs
I can connect and disconnect wired. Sometimes.
It sees the one router in the house, but doesn't see the second router, which is 2 meters away. It also sees my neighbor's router. Also, iwlist does see the router across the room.

Select my router from the list and press right-arrow to configure gives the following error message.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/overrides/GLib.py", line 664, in <lambda>
    func_fdtransform = lambda _, cond, *data: callback(channel, cond, *data)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1148, in call_update_ui
    self.update_ui(True)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 97, in wrapper
    return func(*args, **kargs)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1161, in update_ui
    self.handle_keys(input_data)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1039, in handle_keys
    self.diag = WirelessSettingsDialog(pos, self.frame)
  File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/netentry_curses.py", line 502, in __init__
    self.encrypt_types = misc.LoadEncryptionMethods()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wicd/misc.py", line 368, in LoadEncryptionMethods
    parsed_template = _parse_enc_template(enctype.strip())
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wicd/misc.py", line 408, in _parse_enc_template
    cur_type["required"] = __parse_field_ent(parse_ent(line, "require"))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wicd/misc.py", line 380, in __parse_field_ent
    for val, disp_val in grouper(2, fields, fillvalue=None):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wicd/misc.py", line 655, in grouper
    return zip_longest(fillvalue=fillvalue, *args)
NameError: name 'zip_longest' is not defined

#10 2021-08-23 22:06:49

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

PLEASE keep this thread focused on the possibility of running wicd in Chimaera.

+1
Thank you.

A.

#11 2021-08-25 14:11:08

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Is it wise to use wicd now that Python2 is obsolete? https://packages.debian.org/experimental/python3-wicd might be a better idea even if it's from experimental.

Depends on if tauthon is added to devuan's repos which would mean it would exist in debian too.

Tauthon is the continuation of python2...

If its in debian's repos, it may not be a problem to use wicd.

That being said, dhcpcd-gtk is the better option if you have wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd working properly.

They are at least updated more than wicd/wicd-gtk.

Last edited by zapper (2021-08-25 14:12:26)

Peace Be With us All!

#12 2021-08-30 10:01:50

pcalvert

NetworkManager works fine, and I prefer it over wicd because it has plugins that make setting up and using a VPN fairly easy.

Based on the packages I have installed, I believe that this is the way I installed it:

aptitude install network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn-gnome

I only mention this because, based on a tutorial I saw that mentions replacing NetworkManager with wicd, it appears that some people believe that NetworkManager doesn't work in Devuan. That is not the case. Although I'm not certain about Chimaera, because I haven't used it, NetworkManager definitely works fine in Refracta/Beowulf.

Phil

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.
Another one is called Luxxle.

#13 2021-08-30 10:17:47

larsH

Hi

It is the default and works just fine in Chiamera :-)

Have a nice day

Board footer