The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-07-18 03:11:07

bimon

An example of how Trinity Desktop Env (TDE) can look on Devuan ASCII

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-23 22:13:55)

#2 2021-07-23 15:59:33

bimon

Re: An example of how Trinity Desktop Env (TDE) can look on Devuan ASCII

A small update:

attachment.php?aid=3154388&nr=1&thumb=1&picture=1

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-23 22:12:12)

#3 2021-07-23 16:01:50

bimon

A small vertical launch bar on the left side of the screen is auto-hidden:

attachment.php?aid=3154388&nr=2&thumb=1&picture=1

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-23 22:13:14)

#4 2021-07-23 20:18:22

samhain

Your screenshots don't show. "This content has been restricted. Using Cloudfare's basic service in this manner is a violation of the Terms of Service ..."

Could you please attach the screenshots to your postings?

Last edited by samhain (2021-07-23 20:18:58)

#5 2021-07-23 21:25:31

golinux
Administrator

Hmmmm . . . I moved that thread from Desktop and Multimedia because it is not a support issue but this really isn't the right place either.  I think I'll try to append it to https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2120 a little later.  But then when I went there I noticed that the image in the first post  has a similar issue.  Will check a bit later with the backend crew to see if something has changed there.

#6 2021-07-23 22:02:37

bimon

samhain wrote:

Your screenshots don't show. "This content has been restricted. Using Cloudfare's basic service in this manner is a violation of the Terms of Service ..."

Does this forum support attachments?

#7 2021-07-23 22:28:27

golinux
Administrator

bimon wrote:
samhain wrote:

Does this forum support attachments?

No.

#8 2021-07-24 05:08:50

andyprough

I can see them just fine, I don't get a cloudflare error message. I'm using LibreWolf browser with noscript and ublock - maybe there's some difference in my browser setup.

#9 2021-07-24 06:42:08

bimon

andyprough wrote:

I can see them just fine, I don't get a cloudflare error message. I'm using LibreWolf browser with noscript and ublock - maybe there's some difference in my browser setup.

Picture's URLs have been replaced already, you would not see them via old URLs at least from this forum thread.

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-24 06:42:41)

#10 2021-07-24 12:18:22

steve_v

As much as I loved KDE3 back in the day, the setup in those screenshots is way, way to busy and far too... Lime for my taste.
No offence, that's just me, I kinda have a thing about 900 icons all over the place when there's a perfectly good application menu to be had.
Each to their own I guess.

On a semi-related note, I just recently installed KDE1.1 on one of my retro-boxen. big_smile
IMO the default setup there needs a bunch of redundant icons removed from the panels to not be a visually-overwhelming mess as well... Just like I remember doing in 1999.
I even got a pre-insanity GNOME up and running, a fully configurable and completely nautilus-free experience if you will. It's kinda nice too.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#11 2021-07-24 18:22:59

andyprough

bimon wrote:
andyprough wrote:

Picture's URLs have been replaced already, you would not see them via old URLs at least from this forum thread.

I saw them just fine when they were first posted also, and I don't recall a time when the pictures were not available for me to view. But maybe there was a small period of time when cloudflare was blocking them and I missed it.

#12 2021-07-25 10:19:55

NicePics13

steve_v wrote:

On a semi-related note, I just recently installed KDE1.1 on one of my retro-boxen. big_smile

Do you also need an old distro or is it possible to do on Devuan?

#13 2021-07-25 22:19:02

bimon

It was a disaster for me after KDE4 yet on Debian has being constantly updated and often broken less or more, especially when they migrated KNotes to SQLite and added systemD trojan.

Almost each apt-get upgrade revealed some new bugs or inconveniences. I have even tried to switch to XFCE temporary, but I am used to be a WinXP/KDE user. Even start menu was broken several times and I was in hurry to make my current work done instead of tweaking that KDE4 hell. My upgrade to KDE5 was just a test of zfs rollback feature almost in 5 minutes after my first login to KDE5 joke.

I treat most things happening in desktop development like systemD, Wayland, KDE5, etc. like a Linux on the way to migrate to Windows 10 like OS. It may be good sometimes for games or may be multimedia works, but for a daily work I prefer a rock solid Xorg + Trinity without nasty systemD shit.

Trinity looks for me like a Windows XP on steroids and on Devuan ASCII + Libre kernel 4.19.latest + ZFS its stability on relatively small desktop loads is comparable to SunOS Solaris most likely.

I did not install Trinity earlier only because I did not know about it and even if I would knew about its existence I would not believe how stable it is between upgrades, no menus or buttons are broken or lost their positions.
Workstation running many different browsers and WINE programs dayly can run for weeks and even months from a single boot without any hangs, even xkilling some hung apps generally would not lock the whole TDE.
And if realy needed kicker can be easily (x)killed and started again even without restarting slim DM.

I have not found any significant bugs in Trinity so far since 2019 except some glitches with keyboard layout switch which sometimes (may be 2-3 times per month) looses Russian variant and I have to reapply the settings to return it back. But may be it is some bootkit activity and not a Trinity bug, who knows.

There are some ideas about migrating Trinity DE to Qt4, and I do NOT welcome such ideas smile

Trinity already works just fine with almost any KDE5, GTK and other applications from repository, is not it enough ? TDE developers, please just keep it stable as long as possible without any major upgrades.

And I would like very much if Debian_STRETCH / Devuan_ASCII would prolong their support period by say 2030 smile

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-26 14:54:57)

#14 2021-07-25 23:02:38

bimon

Virtual machine takes 3 Gbs of RAM and the desktop with OS (including ZFS) consumes only 1Gb:

attachment.php?aid=3157577&nr=1&thumb=1&picture=1&d=1627254082900

#15 2021-07-26 05:14:02

steve_v

NicePics13 wrote:

Do you also need an old distro or is it possible to do on Devuan?

Slackware 7.1. Same as I ran back in the day when my daily driver was similar hardware.
Modern Debian/Devuan is far to fat for the box in question. Even a CLI-only install would be barely usable, and modern X is a no-show as proper support for the GPU chipset disappeared somewhere around 2002...
AFAIK the latest distro that still has the required XFree86 3.x is Slackware 8.1, but that ships KDE 3.0.something, and I don't think KDE3.x is going to be much fun with a 100Mhz CPU.

Also modern Devuan kernels do not fit on floppy disks, and the old IDE driver for the VLB chipset is gone too. sad

It's probably possible to run KDE1.x on a modern distro though, for some definition of possible... I expect it would need some patching for compiler / libc changes at the very least.

NicePics13 wrote:

the desktop with OS (including ZFS) consumes only 1Gb

Bloat!
Slackware 7.1 consumes <4MB RAM at the CLI with default services loaded, and somewhere around 18MB at a KDE 1.1 desktop. tongue

Last edited by steve_v (2021-07-26 05:14:15)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#16 2021-07-26 05:32:16

bimon

steve_v wrote:
NicePics13 wrote:

the desktop with OS (including ZFS) consumes only 1Gb

Bloat!
Slackware 7.1 consumes <4MB RAM at the CLI with default services loaded, and somewhere around 18MB at a KDE 1.1 desktop. tongue

Please take into account that my Devuan ASCII is capable to run relatively modern software from its repository and ZFS 0.8.6 from more recent Debian releases, many WINE version till the latest, many Windows compatible programs like Microsoft Office, Far, IrfanView, DotNet tools like DevArt Entity Developer.

And only ZFS alone takes over 512Mbs of RAM for its ARC and L2ARC tables and ZFS requires 64bit OS which consumes more RAM than 32bit one.

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-26 05:44:38)

#17 2021-07-26 07:01:02

steve_v

bimon wrote:

Please take into account that my Devuan ASCII is capable to run relatively modern software from its repository and ZFS 0.8.6 from more recent Debian releases, many WINE version till the latest, many Windows compatible programs like Microsoft Office, Far, IrfanView, DotNet tools like DevArt Entity Developer.

You did notice the [razz] on the end of my post, right? Here, I'll do it again for good measure tongue

Then again, I'm not really sure why one would want to run ASCII with a bunch of backports now that Beowulf is stable... Does TDE not build on Beowulf or something?

Last edited by steve_v (2021-07-26 07:01:47)

#18 2021-07-26 07:12:06

bimon

steve_v wrote:

Then again, I'm not really sure why one would want to run ASCII with a bunch of backports now that Beowulf is stable... Does TDE not build on Beowulf or something?

Being called stable does not mean being actually stable especially in terms of compatibility with old third party deb packages and scripts.

Some things could be depricated in new release, somewhere CLI syntax or API could change slightly.

I have Chimaera with kernel v5.13.latest with lockdown=confidentiality in a KVM guest which you can see on the right side of the last screenshot and it works fine. I can access it and its programs by many ways like VNC, X2GO and ssh -X chimaera gui_program.

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-26 08:19:39)

#19 2021-07-26 11:06:33

bimon

steve_v wrote:

Does TDE not build on Beowulf or something?

There are ready prebuilt stable packages of the Trinity desktop environment for both ASCII and Beowulf:

deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian ascii main

deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/trinity-r14.0.0/debian beowulf main

and even beta packages for Chimaera:

deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trinity-testing chimaera deps main
apt-get update
aptitude install tde-trinity

https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_ … structions

Last edited by bimon (2021-07-26 11:13:56)

#20 2021-07-26 21:23:47

Kelsoo

TDE certanly is light and very configerable.  My TDE desktop based on Devuan dirivative http://exegnulinux.net/ is somewhat less busy weighing in at well under 200MB

https://derryth.com/s/TDE

A very nice deskop for users wanting a more traditional approach

#21 2021-07-26 21:50:36

samhain

Traditional? Is there an other approach? I mean, ok, pure WMs like fvwm or tiling WMs are different ... but DEs? All "modern" DEs simply fall flat when it comes to configurability.

#22 2021-07-27 04:56:52

steve_v

samhain wrote:

All "modern" DEs simply fall flat when it comes to configurability.

IME KDE5/Plasma isn't too bad. It's not quite as configurable as KDE3 was, but it's pretty flexible and can certainly still be set up for the traditional desktop paradigm.

I can't really comment on it's "lightness" WRT Debian/Devuan, but it's pretty light over here on Gentoo. There are advantages to compiling in only the stuff you actually want.

GNOME on the other hand... I've never understood the direction GNOME went, and it gets more bizarre with every release.

Last edited by steve_v (2021-07-27 04:59:36)

#23 2021-07-28 01:02:32

zapper

Trinity Desktop looks nice, I only wish it didn't have dbus and other annoying dependencies...

Also, it is somewhat bloated, even like other DE's, even Lumina my favorite DE, is somewhat bloated aka.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#24 2021-08-11 01:56:15

Micronaut

Every time I have asked about Trinity desktop in any Linux forum I see these claims that it is hugely insecure due to being such an old code base and no one with any sense would dare use it.

First, how can a desktop be a security risk? You are using it locally. Does the desktop code have any connection to the networking code?

Second, is this claim of 'ancient code' remotely true? Just because they forked it from KDE 3.x doesn't mean they haven't fixed any bugs since then. That's the point of the fork, to get control of the code. smile

#25 2021-08-11 02:04:31

bimon

I generally use Trinity for offline programs and run online programs like browsers and chats in a KVM virtual machine with a minimum IceWM DE, later I will move online VM to another hardware host, even other architecture like ARM or PowerPC.

Trinity is an ideal full featured DE for an offline desktop, say for development or office works.
While IceWM is good for minimal relatively secure VMs, even for docker containers having SSH, VNC and X11 forwarding.

You can run highly secure firecracker dockers with IceWM and online programs on a different dedicated host.
https://firecracker-microvm.github.io/

I guess the best security can be achieved if using SmartOS (SunOS) hypervisor with Firecracker and OpenBSD guest VMs  for online programs inside them.

SmartOS -> Solaris zones -> BHYVE VM -> Alpine guest with Firecracker & SELinux enabled -> Alpine nested VM with Docker -> Container with IceWM on Debian/Devuan  and other needed online programs.
or
SmartOS -> Solaris zones -> BHYVE VM -> OpenBSD guest with IceWM and other needed online programs.

Virtualization Management Solution:
https://danube.cloud/#features

https://docs.danube.cloud/user-guide/esdc/features.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/com … _cloud_ce/

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/com … pdate_now/

Chat:
https://gitter.im/erigones/DanubeCloud

SmartOS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartOS

https://www.joyent.com/triton/compute

Last edited by bimon (2021-08-11 02:35:43)

Board footer