The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-03-27 11:50:39

sgage

Re: Meet Chimaera's deepsea theme

Hi golinux,

I've been using the Chimaera theme for about a week now, and I really like it. But I just noticed a small glitch - on the MATE Desktop, the selection rectangle is an opaque solid white instead of translucent blue, covering up whatever it is one is trying to select. I guess I don't make group selections of things on the desktop very often, because I just noticed this yesterday :-)  Anyway, thought you ought to know.

#52 2021-03-27 13:48:23

fsmithred
Administrator

sgage wrote:

Hi golinux,

I've been using the Chimaera theme for about a week now, and I really like it. But I just noticed a small glitch - on the MATE Desktop, the selection rectangle is an opaque solid white instead of translucent blue, covering up whatever it is one is trying to select. I guess I don't make group selections of things on the desktop very often, because I just noticed this yesterday :-)  Anyway, thought you ought to know.

You're right. I just tried this in chimaera with mate. It also does it in beowulf with xfce and the cinnabar theme. Maybe we can figure out how adwaita does it and do the same in our themes.

#53 2021-03-28 02:03:45

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

Hi golinux,

@sgage . . . thanks for reporting this.  I have poked it a bit and discovered it also happens on all the clearlooks-phenix themes - including the original - on xfce beowulf too yet it works as expected on ascii even though the styling is identical.  If I can't figure it out, I will post to the xfce forum to help me sort it.  Stay tuned . . .

#54 2021-03-28 23:15:13

golinux
Administrator

The fix is in compliments of ToZ on the Xfce forum. The hilighting is now semi-transparent as it used to be.  Either resort to self-help with the patch below or wait for the deepsea theme to get repackaged:

Starting line 158 of gtk-widgets,css, add a ".thunar .rubberband" statement:

.rubberband,
.thunar .rubberband,
view rubberband,
rubberband {
	background-color: alpha (@theme_selected_bg_color, 0.35);
	border-color: @theme_selected_bg_color;
	border-style: solid;
	border-width: 1px;
	border-radius: 2px;
}

#55 2021-03-29 00:14:35

sgage

golinux wrote:

The fix is in compliments of ToZ on the Xfce forum. The hilighting is now semi-transparent as it used to be.  Either resort to self-help with the patch below or wait for the deepsea theme to get repackaged:

Starting line 158 of gtk-widgets,css, add a ".thunar .rubberband" statement:

.rubberband,
.thunar .rubberband,
view rubberband,
rubberband {
}

Alas, this does not work for MATE. I added the stanza as is, and also substituting 'caja' for 'thunar', but no joy. I'm sure the fix is hiding in plain sight...

#56 2021-03-29 00:50:41

golinux
Administrator

@sgage . . . does the ascii darkpurpy theme work OK on Mate?  If yes, try replacing the gtk-widgets.css, applications.css and gtk-widgets-img.css in deepsea with those from darkpurpy.  There is one color change towards the end of gtk-widgets.css that you'll want to keep from deepsea but the rest can probably fall back to the earlier gtk version.

[edit] Actually you probably need to use those files from Clearlooks-Phenix-purpy not darkpurpy.  You can find them here

#57 2021-03-29 01:46:47

sgage

golinux wrote:

@sgage . . . does the ascii darkpurpy theme work OK on Mate?  If yes, try replacing the gtk-widgets.css, applications.css and gtk-widgets-img.css in deepsea with those from darkpurpy.  There is one color change towards the end of gtk-widgets.css that you'll want to keep from deepsea but the rest can probably fall back to the earlier gtk version.

[edit] Actually you probably need to use those files from Clearlooks-Phenix-purpy not darkpurpy.  You can find them here

Yes! That did it. I used the above-mentioned css files from purpy, from the link you provided. I will try to analyze it tomorrow, but it's bedtime. Thanks for your efforts!!!

#58 2021-03-29 01:50:20

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:
golinux wrote:

Yes! That did it. I used the above-mentioned css files from purpy, from the link you provided. I will try to analyze it tomorrow, but it's bedtime. Thanks for your efforts!!!

Excellent!  IIUC, Mate is built on gnome2 which still uses gtk-2 so would choke on the gtk-3 in the more recent versions.

#59 2021-03-29 13:08:21

sgage

Whoops! I spoke too soon. While replacing gtk-widgets.css with the one from Purpy indeed fixes the selection rectangle issue, it creates other problems. Items on the panel have no spacing, the menus don't operate properly (no highlighting as you mouse over items), and perhaps a couple other things. Lots going on in that file! But I poked around and I think I have it solved, and the solution is quite simple.

In the gtk-widgets.css file in the new Clearlooks-Phenix-Deepsea theme, the 'rubberband' code at line begins thusly:

.rubberband,
view rubberband,
rubberband {

I looked at the corresponding code in the css file from the old Purpy (that allowed the selection rectangle to work properly), and it went like so:

.view.rubberband,
.rubberband {

So I deleted the opening ".rubberband" and put a "." in front of the"view rubberband", and the  "rubberband" just before the {, and voila! A translucent selection rectangle with everything else continuing to be layed out properly. So there's no need to replace files or such - just fix what seems to be a typo in the existing file.

I will continue to test and see if anything else crops up. But it seems like all is well now...

Incidentally, MATE was forked from Gnome2 years ago, and is now (allegedly) fully transitioned over to GTK+ 3. Or so they announced a while back.

Last edited by sgage (2021-03-29 13:58:18)

#60 2021-03-29 14:26:16

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's the final version (I think). Tested in xfce (thunar) and mate (caja), both in chimaera. I'll rebuild the package later today.

.rubberband,
.view .rubberband,
view rubberband,
rubberband {
}

#61 2021-03-29 15:30:28

sgage

fsmithred wrote:

Here's the final version (I think). Tested in xfce (thunar) and mate (caja), both in chimaera. I'll rebuild the package later today.

.rubberband,
.view .rubberband,
view rubberband,
rubberband {
}

This works fine for me using MATE (caja). What I had ended up with, which also works fine w/ caja, was simply this:

.view.rubberband,
.rubberband {
}

Maybe it wouldn't work w/ thunar, though. In any case, your 'final' version seems to work fine with both. I can't claim that I really understand the css lingo...

#62 2021-03-29 17:02:10

golinux
Administrator

I suspected that switching files out might break other things and was going to start investigating after a good night's sleep.  Looks like sgage and  fsmithred and ToZ on the Xfce forum saved me the headache. Gtk-3 is such a pox . . .

#63 2021-06-19 13:06:36

zapper

golinux wrote:

I suspected that switching files out might break other things and was going to start investigating after a good night's sleep.  Looks like sgage and  fsmithred and ToZ on the Xfce forum saved me the headache. Gtk-3 is such a pox . . .

is gtk4? any better?

Last edited by zapper (2021-06-19 13:07:04)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#64 2021-06-19 22:26:12

golinux
Administrator

Putting together the last bits of Chimaera. pkginfo and bugs will follow the same styling.

chimaera www

#65 2021-06-20 16:13:50

zapper

There is a typo though, 3.1 is the latest version of devuan beowulf. Isn't it?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#66 2021-06-20 16:37:18

golinux
Administrator

Hahah . . . good catch but . . . this is about the look of the site not the content.  I am working locally with old files that I used to theme beowulf when it was released.  It won't have updated chimaera content until it is released after bullseye goes stable.

#67 2021-06-21 00:38:50

zapper

golinux wrote:

Hahah . . . good catch but . . . this is about the look of the site not the content.  I am working locally with old files that I used to theme beowulf when it was released.  It won't have updated chimaera content until it is released after bullseye goes stable.

That would make sense. I wonder when Chimaera will be out. wink

Peace Be With us All!

#68 2021-06-21 01:02:21

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:

Someone at the last meet said mid-July, maybe the 12th?  So I figured I'd better get it done sooner rather than later.  Next up pkginfo and bugs.

#69 2021-06-21 11:49:20

zapper

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:

Someone at the last meet said mid-July, maybe the 12th?  So I figured I'd better get it done sooner rather than later.  Next up pkginfo and bugs.

Hmm, its almost in testing right for Devuan?

I am curious though when Debian will release its newest version.

It does have an effect on your distro right?

Peace Be With us All!

#70 2021-06-21 14:25:46

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

We have been in Chimaera "testing" since  Beowulf was released last year..

As stated above, Bullseye ETA is mid-July.

Yes, we can't release Chimaera until Bullseye goes stable.  There are Chimaera installation isos available for testing if you'd like to contribute to Devuan..

#71 2021-06-21 16:54:34

zapper

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

We have been in Chimaera "testing" since  Beowulf was released last year..

As stated above, Bullseye ETA is mid-July.

Yes, we can't release Chimaera until Bullseye goes stable.  There are Chimaera installation isos available for testing if you'd like to contribute to Devuan..

Ah, I didn't know debian EVEN had a release schedule... 

Thought it was like, released when we say its ready. tongue

Good to know, also, I thought chimaera's images were still in alpha...

I probably should, but sometimes I am way too lazy for it...

That being said, I assume you just report issues that you see...? Could do that, beyond that, I don't know.

Last edited by zapper (2021-06-21 16:55:07)

Peace Be With us All!

#72 2021-06-21 17:33:20

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

They don't have a fixed schedule.  They have a "when it's ready" schedule as does Devuan.

zapper wrote:

They are.

zapper wrote:

That being said, I assume you just report issues that you see...? Could do that, beyond that, I don't know.

Confirmation that it works or if not what the problem is would be helpful and appreciated.

#73 2021-06-21 17:53:18

zapper

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

They don't have a fixed schedule.  They have a "when it's ready" schedule as does Devuan.

zapper wrote:

They are.

zapper wrote:

Confirmation that it works or if not what the problem is would be helpful and appreciated.

Hmm, I don't usually use alphas, on my system...

I usually wait till beta to actually consider using it. 

wink

Unless I have a virtual machine of it, which isn't a bad idea. smile

I don't know what I will do, given my current focus, which is more or less Hyperbola, but its a thought to consider.

Peace Be With us All!

#74 2021-06-21 18:20:33

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

This. The installer itself needs to be tested.  Devuan-specific bugs to be reported as outlined in the link posted above.

#75 2021-06-21 20:08:52

sgage

zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

zapper wrote:

They are.

zapper wrote:

Hmm, I don't usually use alphas, on my system...

I usually wait till beta to actually consider using it. 

wink

I don't know what I will do, given my current focus, which is more or less Hyperbola, but its a thought to consider.

The installer iso's are alpha, not the distro. Chimaera, based on Debian Bullseye (which is almost ready to be released), is well tested. I've been using it without issues for months now.

Board footer