The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-15 19:05:53

Sailor17

How to get rid of Swap file during installation...

because of issues icreasing dynamic disk space in virtual systems like VirtualBox.

Hi everyone

I've installed devuan on VirtualBox. VDI with 32 MB dynamic memory allocation.
But that is not  enough to build a 5.10.30 Kernel Module and I crashed with out of memory during compilation.
Then I increased the amount of disk space to 120 GB for the VDI.

But shit happens the compiling crashed again at 32 GB. There was no dynamic increase of memory.

What is going on? I started gparted and found that there were some partitions created during installation (all by default).

SD1  32 GB  used 8GB
SD2  Extended
         SWAP 1GB
         EXT4   88 GB not assigned

There was now way to assign that free space of 88 GB to SD1 and increase the space. Like the system itself failed to increase disks space over 32 MB, because in between sits the SWAP file.

I followed a description on Click TecMint Blog to deactivate and finally delete the SD2 partition with gparted and increased disk space successfully to 120 GB.
But now on boot system is hanging while trying to set up SWAP file until a timeout. Then  boot process continuing. Boring!
Also commenting out the SWAP part  in FSTAB didn't help.

I think this must be deactivated in the startup scrips but this is beyond my knowledge at this time.

Well I updated this message because the next suggestion in this post leads directly into a full system crash!
Now I'm trying to find an option during installation to disable Swap during installation and not going into trouble anyway.

Please point me in the right direction. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best regards Hans

Last edited by Sailor17 (2021-04-16 10:28:05)

#2 2021-04-15 19:51:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: How to get rid of Swap file during installation...

Edit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume to

RESUME=none

Then

# update-initramfs -u -k all

Note that you don't appear to have a swap file at all so you should probably remove that term from the title and OP.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-04-15 20:06:31

aitor
Website

Sailor17 wrote:

Also commenting out the SWAP part in FSTAB didn't help.

Did you try replacing its <options> from defaults or sw to noauto instead of commenting out the line in /etc/fstab? For example:

# <file system>                                                     <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
UUID=17dcf181-b71d-4f1c-918d-2d3fff480d85     none                    swap      noauto               0              0

With noauto, the device can be only mounted explicitly.

Reload fstab:

# mount -a

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#4 2021-04-15 21:40:36

Sailor17

RESUME=none

Then

Note that you don't appear to have a swap file at all so you should probably remove that term from the title and OP.

Well I did this and in case I have not misunderstood things this leads to a total system crash.
Look at this.
drive.google.com/file/d/15EAGskhOkEC2Oz … OsHAp/view
Sorry for the google drive link. But it is to my personal folders. I don't want to open a "share picture account".

Any suggestions to get my system back?
Or how to install devuan without that dam SWAP.

Hans

Last edited by Sailor17 (2021-04-15 21:43:28)

#5 2021-04-15 21:48:42

Sailor17

aitor wrote:
Sailor17 wrote:

Also commenting out the SWAP part in FSTAB didn't help.

Did you try replacing its <options> from defaults or sw to noauto instead of commenting out the line in /etc/fstab? For example:

# mount -a

Unfortunately not because my system crashed totally following the steps from the other post.

If this is going on, I will say goodbye linux and welcome windows. The actual development of linux is taking us back to the Middle Ages of Windos 3.
To my own surprise windows10 actually works fast, without any bad surprise under the hood. Except of the monstrous size, but this is the same as Ubuntu and others. At this time I can not get one Linux systen depending on debian working out of the box in a VirtualBox.
Lets say until Ubuntu 16.X. this was no problem.

Thanks systemd!!!

Cheers
Hans

Last edited by Sailor17 (2021-04-15 21:57:28)

#6 2021-04-15 23:13:50

aitor
Website

Sailor17 wrote:
aitor wrote:

# mount -a

Unfortunately not because my system crashed totally following the steps from the other post.

Please, in quoting the answer of another member of the forum try to keep the content of the frame in coherence. Thanks.

#7 2021-04-16 09:10:47

steve_v

Sailor17 wrote:

Sorry for the google drive link. But it is to my personal folders. I don't want to open a "share picture account".

And I'm not going to open a google account just to view your log.
Pro tip: If you want people to spend their free time helping you, don't make it difficult for them. There are plenty of free no-signup imagehosts and pastebins.

Sailor17 wrote:

Pretty sure the netinstall iso still allows you to do that with manual partitioning.

Sailor17 wrote:

If this is going on, I will say goodbye linux and welcome windows. The actual development of linux is taking us back to the Middle Ages of Windos 3.

If that's your attitude, goodbye and good riddance.

Sailor17 wrote:

To my own surprise windows10 actually works fast, without any bad surprise under the hood.

If you like windows so much, nobody is preventing you from using it. vOv

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#8 2021-04-16 10:11:20

Sailor17

steve_v wrote:
Sailor17 wrote:

And I'm not going to open a google account just to view your log.
Pro tip: If you want people to spend their free time helping you, don't make it difficult for them. There are plenty of free no-signup imagehosts and pastebins.

Sailor17 wrote:

Pretty sure the netinstall iso still allows you to do that with manual partitioning.

Sailor17 wrote:

If that's your attitude, goodbye and good riddance.

Sailor17 wrote:

To my own surprise windows10 actually works fast, without any bad surprise under the hood.

If you like windows so much, nobody is preventing you from using it. vOv

Don't waste your time not answering questions. This is complete out of topic! :0

#9 2021-04-16 10:30:36

Sailor17

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

RESUME=none

Then

Because this suggestion leads directly into a full system crash!
Now I'm trying to find an option during installation to disable Swap installation and not going into trouble anyway.

Please point me in the right direction. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Best regards Hans

#10 2021-04-16 11:17:32

rolfie

Hi Hans,

some comments from somebody who has installed many distros in VBox over the years.

Sailor17 wrote:

Are you sure you are talking about MB? Or do you mean GByte?

Anyway, my suggestion for a working VM that dynamically expands without issues if required:
As memory assign at least 4 GByte RAM, better 8 or 16GByte, depending on whats available on your HW.
Use one VDI file, 32 GByte, dynamically allocated.

When running the installer, use MANUAL PARTITIONING, don't use the guided procedures. After a few intermediate steps, assign the VDI drive completely to /, no sub-structure. You will get asked if you want to continue without using swap.

I would use a LVM and assign one logical volume for swap with the same amount as the memory available to the VM.

rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2021-04-16 11:18:17)

#11 2021-04-16 16:44:30

Sailor17

rolfie wrote:

Hi Hans,

some comments from somebody who has installed many distros in VBox over the years.

Sailor17 wrote:

Are you sure you are talking about MB? Or do you mean GByte?

Anyway, my suggestion for a working VM that dynamically expands without issues if required:
As memory assign at least 4 GByte RAM, better 8 or 16GByte, depending on whats available on your HW.
Use one VDI file, 32 GByte, dynamically allocated.

When running the installer, use MANUAL PARTITIONING, don't use the guided procedures. After a few intermediate steps, assign the VDI drive completely to /, no sub-structure. You will get asked if you want to continue without using swap.

I would use a LVM and assign one logical volume for swap with the same amount as the memory available to the VM.

rolfie

@rolfie

Hi rolfie thanks for the suggestions. Yes I'm using 32GB VDI on SSD  :0 , 4GB of 8GB RAM and 128 MB for graphic. This worked even for Ubunto 20.X. The only trouble is guest additions in VirtualBox do not work properly. But this is another story.

Today I've been running trough a new installation with the desktop ISO, but there was no option to run manual partitioning.Unless there was a prompt which continued after a while with default answer. I wasn't all the time in front of the monitor. This installation of devuan is surprisingly very slow.

From other distros I know that during installation there is a prompt which ask whether to configure manual or use defaults.

Disabling and deleting the SWAP partition and resizing the disk is no problem. Only on start-up the system tried to find the SWAP and waited until a timeout. I followed this Fedora Forum post to deactivate the SWAP in GRUB. But I'm struggled at point 3 (look at the ed of the post) because in my /etc/default/grub file is no entry for the SWAP file.

So two questions to be answered

1.Is there a way to force manual configuring using the desktop ISO or use alternative installations?
2. How to remove SWAP partition safe and manually.

Hans

Last edited by Sailor17 (2021-04-16 16:51:20)

#12 2021-04-16 17:22:53

rolfie

Look at this page: https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … all-devuan, topic 9. There you get the choice.

rolfie

#13 2021-04-16 17:25:57

fsmithred
Administrator

After you configure the clock/timezone, you get the following screen. Choose "Manual".
https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … disks1.png

Here's the link for that page: https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … all-devuan

#14 2021-04-16 21:34:59

Sailor17

fsmithred wrote:

After you configure the clock/timezone, you get the following screen. Choose "Manual".

Here's the link for that page: https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … all-devuan

Oh men! The problem is almost sitting in front of the system. :0

But now I tried the manual configuration. When I choose "USE ALL SPACE IN ONE PARTITION"

- Nevertheless a SWAP will be created.
- And Installation will not continue until I accept the SWAP partition.

I can not find a way to continue without swap partition.

#15 2021-04-17 00:58:35

aitor
Website

Sailor17 wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

Oh men! The problem is almost sitting in front of the system. :0

But now I tried the manual configuration. When I choose "USE ALL SPACE IN ONE PARTITION"

- Nevertheless a SWAP will be created.
- And Installation will not continue until I accept the SWAP partition.

I can not find a way to continue without swap partition.

Hi Sailor17,

Choose a manual partitioning in debian-installer and ignore the alert message appearing if you have not selected any partitions for use as swap space. Say you don't want to return to the partitioning menu:

https://www.gnuinos.org/ceres/screensho … -12-29.png

I've just uploaded the sequence of screenshots detailing each step during the installation process. Hope they help you:

https://www.gnuinos.org/ceres/screenshots/

The iso image used above is an unofficial image of devuan ceres:

https://www.gnuinos.org/ceres/

It has been built only for testing purposes during our development of the live-sdk. The username and password for live sessions are user and live, respectively.

Another clarification: select the text mode of debian-installer because the version of main-menu.udeb from chimaera/ceres may fail in graphical mode.

Note: Don't use any of the images of gnuinos beowulf because they won't work properly in your virtual machine, since they are VDEV experiments.

Last edited by aitor (2021-04-17 01:16:37)

#16 2021-04-17 12:05:11

rolfie

Sailor17 wrote:

Oh men! The problem is almost sitting in front of the system.

I would underline that.

You are NOT doing everything manually, you still use guided procedures. This option "Manual" in the installer is just an entry point. Select the device listed and play around with all options until you understand how to set everything according to your needs. Since its a VM you can't damage anything. If you fail, you can easily start again from the beginning.

rolfie

#17 2021-04-26 05:30:34

MLEvD

Just let it do the install with a 1 MB (yes 1 megabyte) swap partition. After install, delete the swap partition and comment it out of fstab.

Board footer