The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-02-25 14:49:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Meet Chimaera's deepsea theme

Fantastic work golinux, thank you for your sterling efforts.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#27 2021-02-25 17:12:24

berni51
Website

I like it when an OS has a corporate identity in its look out of the box. So I let my ASCII in gray, my Beowulf in red and my Chimaera will stay in ocean-blue as soon as the official version is available.
Thx for the good job. : )

Regards
Berni

Last edited by berni51 (2021-02-25 17:13:13)

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#28 2021-03-12 23:39:57

ruenoak
Website

Absolutely beautiful! The colours of the ocean are always close to my heart. as the ocean is too.
There is allot of research on colours and chemical changes in the brain. We naturally gravitate to natural tones of nature, Earth, Sky, Oceans.
it's calming and generally pleasing to use. You see this in product manufacturing all the time.
Again beautiful theme, can't wait t use it.

ruenoak.

"Has cat, eats cheese, drinks coffee, Chaotic Neutral " smile

#29 2021-03-15 03:08:26

golinux
Administrator

Thanks, ruenoak.  Don't know how thorougly you read the thread but you might want to have a look at this post to discover what inspired the colors.

#30 2021-03-15 11:03:33

berni51
Website

golinux wrote:

This is the last time I am putting myself through this ordeal.  Someone else is going to have to step up to do the next ones.

Why that? Is it too tricky and complicated or are you tired of the discussions & nagging?

Regards
Berni

Last edited by berni51 (2021-03-15 15:53:08)

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#31 2021-03-15 15:12:09

dice
Website

berni51 wrote:
golinux wrote:

This is the last time I am putting myself through this ordeal.  Someone else is going to have to step up to do the next ones.

Why that? Is it too tricky and complicated or are you tired of the discussions nagging?

Regards
Berni

Ive tried modifying gtk3 themes, gnome does not make it easy on any level. One needs a technical traineeship just to understand it. So i feel golinux pain from someone who has dabbled but not actually put the foot into the waters.

Saying that though i really dig the themes golinux has put out, the chimaera ocean blue theme is really nice.

#32 2021-03-15 16:58:16

golinux
Administrator

berni51 wrote:

Why that? Is it too tricky and complicated or are you tired of the discussions & nagging?

The short answer is old age.  The mental gymnastics and long hours are just too demanding.  Also am I weary of behaving for the machine and long for simpler times and the natural world (what little is left of it).

#33 2021-03-16 18:56:53

berni51
Website

@golinux: I am sure that you are not so old - compared with me. wink

SInce 2 weeks I'm working with a machine with a chimaera image (from refracta). The system works fine for and seems to be rock solid. Unfortunately it comes without the @golinux deepsea theme - it comes without any theme. As I like deepsea but dont want to copy the deepsea idea, I modified my chimaera with a, lets 's say bluespace theme. So I integrated a tga image to Grub and png images into slim and openbox.
Now my chimaera looks like this:

Grub:
Grub background

Display Manager slim:
slim background

Openbox background:
slim background

Far away from a perfect corporate identity, but good enough for me.

Regards
Berni

Last edited by berni51 (2021-03-16 20:10:36)

#34 2021-03-16 20:30:34

golinux
Administrator

Everything is relative.  If you want to play that game . . . . I have completed nearly eight decades on this rock hurtling through space . . .

I see that you are using one of Josh's offerings.  Good that they are being put to good use.  You could also have gotten the chimaera backgrounds from Devuan's git.  The theme isn't packaged yet - I still need to double-check a few things - but is only an email away.

#35 2021-03-16 21:38:40

berni51
Website

My chimaera is a pre-beta version - so an early package might be appropiate. Would you kindly send me an email?

Regards
Berni

#36 2021-03-19 13:04:29

mckaygerhard
Website

Is the first time i praised a artwork made by devuan ... PICCORO APROVED!

#37 2021-03-19 18:18:34

berni51
Website

Thanks to @golinux I have got the pre-beta-deepsea-theme-package and replaced my bluespace look with it. That meets exactly my taste in computer environment and fits perfect with the pre-beta Chimaera, which I have just running (btw: this refracta snapshot is very, very good and stable like a rock).

ds1.jpg
Grub
ds2.png
slim
ds3.png
fluxbox

Now my chimaera looks all of a piece.
I expected to find a small deepsea chimaera hidden between images and icons, but I was wrong. No magnificent beast at all.

Regards
Berni

Last edited by berni51 (2021-03-19 18:19:37)

#38 2021-03-20 09:42:27

zapper

I am surprised, but your theme for some reason is growing on me a little bit.  tongue

I dunno why, but it looks better than I thought before.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#39 2021-03-20 17:02:37

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

I am surprised, but your theme for some reason is growing on me a little bit.  tongue

Thanks for noticing.  berni51's timely interest in the theme was sufficient motivation for me to finally get my act together.   Also, I like to live with a theme for a while to make sure the colors are just right.  I can obsess about one increment in a hex for days!  I think that there have been 3 iterations presented in the first post.  The first 2 obviously didn't pass the long-term test. Maybe that's why you like this version better.

#40 2021-03-20 17:16:10

sgage

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

Thanks for noticing.  berni51's timely interest in the theme was sufficient motivation for me to finally get my act together.   Also, I like to live with a theme for a while to make sure the colors are just right.  I can obsess about one increment in a hex for days!  I think that there have been 3 iterations presented in the first post.  The first 2 obviously didn't pass the long-term test. Maybe that's why you like this version better.

Hi golinux - When will the deepsea packages be in the repo? Or are they tucked away somewhere where I can get at 'em? I've been making do with a 'your-way-deepsea' png pressed into service for grub and lightdm :-)  I'd love to have the genuine articles. Such a soothing deepsea vibe... and I know it's not just by accident - I really appreciate your time and effort and caring, and your subtle perception of colors. Many thanks!

#41 2021-03-20 20:49:02

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:
golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

Hi golinux - When will the deepsea packages be in the repo? Or are they tucked away somewhere where I can get at 'em? I've been making do with a 'your-way-deepsea' png pressed into service for grub and lightdm :-)  I'd love to have the genuine articles. Such a soothing deepsea vibe... and I know it's not just by accident - I really appreciate your time and effort and caring, and your subtle perception of colors. Many thanks!

It's really nice to know that not everyone changes the default desktop first thing after installing.  big_smile   I'll try to get the files posted soon and share the links here.  Packaging will come later so the files will have to be copied to the appropriate places in /usr/share/themes/ and pointed to manually in settings etc. .

#42 2021-03-20 21:30:50

sgage

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:
golinux wrote:

It's really nice to know that not everyone changes the default desktop first thing after installing.  big_smile   I'll try to get the files posted soon and share the links here.  Packaging will come later so the files will have to be copied to the appropriate places in /usr/share/themes/ and pointed to manually in settings etc. .

I think I can figure it out - I've been looking into how the theming for grub and lightdm work. Lots of indirection vial symlinks and such - very interesting!

Looking forward to some links...

#43 2021-03-20 23:11:42

GlennW

I use this to update/upgrade grub backgrounds...

Editing the /etc/default/grub file to reflect the name of the pic...

(I just use the largest pic I can find.)

#restore grub modifier files
rsync -avh /home/glenn/local/other/backup/backup-etc-sys/etc/default/grub /etc/default/
chown root:root /etc/default/grub
chmod a+rx /etc/default/grub

rsync -avh /home/glenn/local/other/backup/backup-etc-sys/boot/grub/*.png /boot/grub/
update-grub

I hope this gives someone an idea of the locations used.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#44 2021-03-20 23:43:30

golinux
Administrator

All the locations are described in the beowulf thread.

All the files have now been uploaded to gitea

I have been using a set of older "mist" icons but thinking I may recolor a set so stay tuned

#45 2021-03-20 23:47:40

golinux
Administrator

GlennW wrote:

rsync -avh /home/glenn/local/other/backup/backup-etc-sys/etc/default/grub /etc/default/

rsync -avh /home/glenn/local/other/backup/backup-etc-sys/boot/grub/*.png /boot/grub/
update-grub

Devuan's grub theme is much more than a background.  That is only one small part.

All the necessary changes to manually use parts of the chimaera theme happen in /usr/share/ as described in the post above this one.  I should have posted in reverse order.  Sorry about that.

#46 2021-03-21 00:13:05

sgage

golinux wrote:
GlennW wrote:

update-grub

Devuan's grub theme is much more than a background.  That is only one small part.

All the necessary changes to manually use parts of the chimaera theme happen in /usr/share/ as described in the post above this one.  I should have posted in reverse order.  Sorry about that.

I've got it all squared away now - grub, lightdm, and all. Good stuff!

#47 2021-03-21 07:58:12

GlennW

Thank you for your efforts, I really appreciate it.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#48 2021-03-21 15:54:36

fsmithred
Administrator

I just built the package. It's in the ceres repo and will propagate to mirrors in the next few hours. Then it will move into chimaera in a week, I think. Note that this is only the desktop window theme and doesn't even include the desktop background image.

Note2: There's an earlier version I built a month ago. If you already installed that, it'll get upgraded to the new version when the new one moves down. Ignore the big jump in version numbers. That has nothing to do with the extent of the changes between the versions.

It's here if you absolutely can't wait.
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/poo … -1_all.deb

#49 2021-03-26 19:23:52

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's deepsea-icon-theme. It's in ceres now and will move down to chimaera next week.

deb package is here:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/devuan/poo … .0_all.deb

#50 2021-03-26 20:30:06

golinux
Administrator

Thanks fsmithred! Screenshot added to first post of this thread.

Board footer