The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-02-21 20:40:49

MLEvD

Keeping sysvinit in LMDE3 :)

Yes, I'm moving over to Devuan because debian and lmde have gone all systemd, and versions 3 and 4 of LMDE will remove sysvinit during upgrade if allowed.
Having accidentally once upgraded from LMDE2 to LMDE3, managing to keep the choice of two inits, set about this weekend nailing it down. It seems the trick is:

apt-mark hold sysvinit-core 

This keeps it installed. Next experiment is to see if this works in upgrading to LMDE4 too.
In the meantime, trying to figure out how to report the one bug that is stopping me using Devuan. Which is the best free webmail?

Last edited by MLEvD (2021-02-21 20:41:49)

#2 2021-02-22 10:14:50

PedroReina
Website

Re: Keeping sysvinit in LMDE3 :)

MLEvD wrote:

Which is the best free webmail?

If you mean a server that manage mail with a web interface, a lot of people, like myself, agree on roundcube.
https://roundcube.net
May be I have missunderstand you.

#3 2021-02-22 10:27:21

MLEvD

HI, slightly, I just need the address, not the whole server getup, like there used to be in the 90s, I just want an email address that I can dump if it gets spammed, for public forum use

#4 2021-02-22 23:45:13

Ron

Protonmail. I've been using it quite a while and I don't think I've gotten any spam on it. It's based in Switzerland for privacy reasons.

https://protonmail.com/

#5 2021-02-24 18:10:51

MLEvD

Thankyou, I got the email address but have been so far unable to successfully report the bug, rejected via email, and via reportbug, it runs through to the end and I confirm to send but I have seen and heard nothing.
Likewise, emailing owner@devuan.org gets no reply sad

Wasn't successful keeping sysv into LMDE4, will try again.

Last edited by MLEvD (2021-02-24 18:11:12)

#6 2021-02-24 18:19:13

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Can you not just reinstall sysvinit-core after upgrading? How about runit-init?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2021-02-25 05:33:09

brocashelm

I take it you've seen this article already?

#8 2021-02-25 07:32:25

golinux
Administrator

brocashelm wrote:

Good news that there is interest in doing this.  Almost exactly 3 years ago, I had brief contact with the LM developer and we discussed the possibility of basing LMDE on Devuan.  Then I never heard from him again.  Now it seems this idea might finally be taking off. Would be great if it happened!

#9 2021-03-19 10:05:26

MLEvD

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Can you not just reinstall sysvinit-core after upgrading? How about runit-init?

I started but it wanted to punish me by removing lots of stuff so I left it for now, but there is a better way, I have been busy,
Plus, I wanted to retain the situation I had - sysvinit boot on 0, and on "1>1" booted to systemd without lightdm.

Installing sysvinit-core on LMDE4 or Debian 10  results in removal of systemd.

I have, however, managed to hack it again... watch this space...

Last edited by MLEvD (2021-03-19 10:43:34)

#10 2021-03-19 10:22:01

MLEvD

brocashelm wrote:

Never seen it, but he seems to have had a rather difficult time of it, compared to my recent experiences

I start with LMDE2 cinnamon to get the dual boot to begin with, then hold sysvinit-core so it is not removed, then upgrade to LMDE3 cinnamon, which is when I remove cinnamon and install mate desktop, install cmatrix and mate-menu and put these, along with gnome-system-monitor, on hold, because later versions meh.

Upgrading to LMDE4 just removes sysv or refuses to upgrade if not.
So I followed this - https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … owulf.html
However, sysvinit was already process 1 for me so no need for reboot, and I'd already downloaded all packages needed to reinstall networking graphical laziness.

Just one

apt-get upgrade

did the entire migration for me, I was on Beowulf mint within an hour! Systemd was removed. The sound settings bug from Beowulf was not present in this one, and it also, as a bonus, remembered networked output audio setting too! A bit of tinkering got memory use down to around 110MB idle, going up to 170MB with all desktop bells and whistles required for minimal comfort, laziness, and eye candy.

After the upgrade, added the LMDE4 debbie repo and checked - all mint apps can be installed but mintmirrors and mintsources need to be reworked to not break things. Mintsystem seems to need systemd, as does parts of mintreport. Oh, mintwelcome isn't happy either but who needs it?
I'm going to do this setup again on another machine, and be more experimental i.e attempt to reinstall systemd and keep sysvinit. Systemd wants to remove elogind first. Does devuan  still work with logind and udev?

#11 2021-03-19 10:24:43

yeti

smilie_girl_020.gif

golinux wrote:

Almost exactly 3 years ago, I had brief contact with the LM developer and we discussed the possibility of basing LMDE on Devuan.  Then I never heard from him again.  Now it seems this idea might finally be taking off. Would be great if it happened!

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

Board footer