The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-02 12:54:15

Haines

Firefox outdated

I do online banking, and my bank now rejects my firefox (firefox-esr, basilisk, tor-browser).  When I use Basilisk, it says my Firefox 68.9 is out of date.
When I run Firefox-esr it says I'm running version 68.0. I don't have the problem with tor-browser, but its painfully slow.

While it recommends Chrome I don't want to use it, and its version may again be rejected. Is there any way I can configure Firefox to lie about its
version?

Haines Brown

#2 2020-10-02 13:35:33

dev2cosmos

Re: Firefox outdated

firefox is not basilisk and tor browser is not palemoon. What are you talking about?

#3 2020-10-02 14:41:18

Marjorie

Firefox-esr was recently upgraded to 78.3 (and was on 68.12 previously) as a security update.
To be honest I don't see much difference or reason not to upgrade.

#4 2020-10-02 14:45:37

Ron

I am confused as to what browser is being used (and rejected). Is it Basilisk? Is it Firefox ESR 68.0? Please clue us in. If you're using Basilisk and getting this error, use a UA override. If you're using an old Firefox ESR, update to the current one, 78.3.1.

Mind telling us what bank this is?

Last edited by Ron (2020-10-02 14:48:57)

#5 2020-10-03 12:14:54

blackhole

Doing online bankiing over tor is not only utterly pointless, it's also potentially dangerous. There is absolutely no benefit as your bank obviously knows who you are - so the entire point of using tor: anonymity, is lost. Your bank needs to know it's you and secures transactions using https.

My suggestion is to just install an up to date chrome or firefix release and just use that specifically for banking / online secure transactions.

#6 2020-10-03 15:33:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

blackhole wrote:

Doing online bankiing over tor is not only utterly pointless, it's also potentially dangerous.

Quoted for truth.

Note that the owners of the exit nodes can read your traffic (although it should be encrypted in the case of bank interactions). Also note that TOR was created by the US Navy and the NSA owns *many* exit nodes...

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2020-10-03 15:57:54

dev2cosmos

Best way to do secure banking is to visit the bank in person perhaps?

#8 2020-10-03 17:01:47

golinux
Administrator

dev2cosmos wrote:

This. ^^^   No online banking for me . . .

#9 2020-10-03 18:24:32

MiyoLinux

dev2cosmos wrote:

Hahaha! That's pretty good. big_smile

As always though, there are exceptions to the rule...

My Credit Union is 30 miles away from me. My work schedule doesn't allow me the ability to visit the CU in person.

Could I use a local bank? Sure! I've used several in the past, and I will never use one again. (Imagine a lot of Yosemite Sam grumbling here)...Brick'a, brack'a, brickin, no-good-for-nothin', frick'a, frackin', low-down-'n-dirty, slop'n-doppin-stinkin' banks...

I also pay all of our monthly bills (other than my city utility bill) through my Credit Union's online bill pay.

However, I have a certain Devuan derivative ( wink tongue ) installed onto a USB, and all that it's used for Is to do my online banking. Not much trouble to boot the USB when I need to do online banking. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#10 2020-10-03 19:05:45

xinomilo
Unknown

i tend to disagree, torbrowser has much better security settings to safeguard from MiTM attacks, and i also trust torproject (foss project) more than google-browser that puts planet data gathering as top priority...
and as said, exit nodes can't read encrypted traffic (i guess all online banking is encrypted by now). some exit nodes that happen to use eg. sslstrip, are reported every month by the torproject, so it's also trasparent.. (challenge : get a similar report from google if you can big_smile )

also on the question of "why visit online bank over tor, when you login and bank knows you?" , an interesting read : https://blog.torproject.org/facebook-hi … ttps-certs

There's no reason to let your ISP know when or whether you're visiting Facebook. There's no reason for Facebook's upstream ISP, or some agency that surveils the Internet, to learn when and whether you use Facebook. And if you do choose to tell Facebook something about you, there's still no reason to let them automatically discover what city you're in today while you do it.

#11 2020-11-09 02:39:27

dzhigit

You are using Firefox ESR from Beowulf. The latest version of Firefox ESR in Ceres and from mozilla.org is 78.4. You could download from mozilla.org, manually copy the files over and make the .desktop entry. Firefox (non ESR) is packaged in the antiX Linux and MX Linux Debian-compatible stable releases, as well as in Flathub which works with any distribution. I use Ceres anyway but in your situation I would choose from one of these options or compile GNU IceCat from source. And see the Debian wiki page for Firefox: https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox/.

#12 2020-11-09 05:37:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dzhigit wrote:

The latest version of Firefox ESR in Ceres and from mozilla.org is 78.4

The latest version of the firefox-esr package in beowulf is also 78.4: https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … b10u2.html

#13 2020-11-09 19:35:06

dzhigit

The latest version of the firefox-esr package in beowulf is also 78.4

Hmm, I wonder why the site says he is running version 68.0. Then the options are to install Firefox (non ESR) from mozilla.org, antiX/MX, or upgrade to Ceres.

#14 2020-11-10 17:12:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dzhigit wrote:

I wonder why the site says he is running version 68.0

Check the date on the OP — I think the firefox-esr package was updated at the end of September.

Board footer