The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-27 15:35:52

Panopticon

Boom Times or financial apocalypse

I regularly watch RT news and saw this episode today with Jaromil from dyne.org being interviewed by Max Kaiser on the Kaiser report. Was a good segment and Jaromil brought up some very concerning points about the "zuck buck"....

https://www.rt.com/shows/keiser-report/ … on-market/

catch it on youtube as well, starts at around 11:50 mark.

https://youtu.be/d6GUxl4ZxDU?t=709

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-06-27 15:38:40)

#2 2019-06-27 16:30:37

Ogis1975
Website

Re: Boom Times or financial apocalypse

The world is finally ready for Marxism!

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#3 2019-06-27 17:37:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

# apt install anarchism

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2019-06-27 18:36:13

Dutch_Master

RT? Oh yes, the Russian State sponsored propaganda & disinformation machine roll

aptitude -i iron-curtain common-sense

#5 2019-06-27 18:42:56

golinux
Administrator

Going to close this as it is never going to be useful for anything.  Political opinions never are . . .

#6 2019-06-28 19:04:24

golinux
Administrator

Reopening this thread to see if it can stay on-topic and away from the irrelevancies of  political ideology.

#7 2019-06-29 02:47:28

Panopticon

The trigger may have been the RT link golinux, my apologies. The Max Kaiser report has more to do with finances than political ideologies and the segment with Jaromil from dyne.org was along the lines of feeding the ever expanding web of the surveillance state. Just some interesting insights into cryptocurrency, privacy and facebook ethics.

I have no issues if this thread gets closed again due to political rants as this was not my intention when i posted this thread.

#8 2019-07-01 18:39:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

There has been too much investment in the stock market for quite a while now and a crash is surely imminent.

Vive la révolution! (scnr)

#9 2019-07-01 21:07:42

golinux
Administrator

This is true but  OT for this thread which is about the surveillance potential of zuck bucks,.  Please restrain yourself HoaS and try to keep on topic.

#10 2019-07-02 15:32:06

Panopticon

Hopefully this link is not too controversial.

https://mises.org/wire/its-no-bitcoin-f … currencies

A Libra is a unit of the Libra cryptocurrency that’s represented by a three wavy horizontal line unicode character ≋ like the dollar is represented by $. The value of a Libra is meant to stay largely stable, so it’s a good medium of exchange, as merchants can be confident they won’t be paid a Libra today that’s then worth less tomorrow. The Libra’s value is tied to a basket of bank deposits and short-term government securities for a slew of historically stable international currencies, including the dollar, pound, euro, Swiss franc and yen. The Libra Association maintains this basket of assets and can change the balance of its composition if necessary to offset major price fluctuations in any one foreign currency so that the value of a Libra stays consistent.

This all reminds me of when the euro hit back in the late 90's early 2000's.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-07-02 15:34:54)

#11 2019-07-02 16:01:18

golinux
Administrator

Well, it was educational.  The banking system is all smoke and mirrors or house of cards . . . pick your metaphor . . .  Jaromil's objection iiuc is that this crypto would be tied to individuals through their FB accounts (not anonymous) so  detailed profiles of very personal preferences and habits can be assembled that could be used to further commodify personal data.

#12 2019-07-02 16:17:37

Panopticon

^ we know this but some 2 billion odd facebook user's dont. Majority rules unfortunately, i think this is the beginning of the must have wallet to trade. Employers already want your social status via fb or linked in etc, it wont be long until they want to pay in libra to your fb account or whatever offshoot the zuck buck determines. I find it alarming banks are backing it.

#13 2019-07-02 17:39:49

golinux
Administrator

The lemmings will do what they will.  Swim upstream.  The trend is not alarming.  It is predictable.

#14 2019-07-02 18:34:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

golinux wrote:

which is about the surveillance potential of zuck bucks

Oh, is that what this is about? I'm not enabling javascript for rt.com and I don't watch YT videos big_smile

#15 2019-07-03 14:29:33

siva

Panopticon wrote:

...it wont be long until they want to pay in libra to your fb account or whatever offshoot the zuck buck determines. I find it alarming banks are backing it...

I mean, banks have had deals with credit card companies for awhile now.  Many debit cards, tied to checking accounts, can be processed as credit because of Visa partnerships.  And, as you rightly pointed out, most users never question this.

There is another disturbing worldview developing: the belief that companies have all your information, so there's no reason not to give up everything all the time for any situation.  This kind of cynicism lets people disregard any responsibility for their actions, and as a consequence, they end up giving everything -- and they're okay with that.

Because of user mindsets, it wouldn't be surprising if banks teamed up with Facebook.  On the other hand, I remain skeptical that Facebook in particular might become "the" platform for this kind of transaction, though.  Third-party information sharing is already pretty pervasive.  I challenge the notion that neither banks nor social media behemoths could get further information about users already.

Back to hiding in a cave for another month.

Last edited by siva (2019-07-03 14:30:42)

#16 2019-07-04 08:57:25

Panopticon

siva wrote:

I mean, banks have had deals with credit card companies for awhile now.  Many debit cards, tied to checking accounts, can be processed as credit because of Visa partnerships.  And, as you rightly pointed out, most users never question this.

There is another disturbing worldview developing: the belief that companies have all your information, so there's no reason not to give up everything all the time for any situation.  This kind of cynicism lets people disregard any responsibility for their actions, and as a consequence, they end up giving everything -- and they're okay with that.

Because of user mindsets, it wouldn't be surprising if banks teamed up with Facebook.  On the other hand, I remain skeptical that Facebook in particular might become "the" platform for this kind of transaction, though.  Third-party information sharing is already pretty pervasive.  I challenge the notion that neither banks nor social media behemoths could get further information about users already.

Back to hiding in a cave for another month.

Good to see you back siva, yes quite right you are, question everything.

This will always be facebook/zucks unofficial trademark or moniker if you will.... 'They trust me, dumb $%^&'s".

Ill disappear back to my den for few days also wink

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-07-04 08:57:56)

#17 2019-07-08 15:57:26

jaromil
Website

Good food for thought! thanks for posting it here and for the thread. I do find Siva's insight fascinating: indeed there is a "third-party information market" already in place which is somehow submerged and very profitable for many less known firms. The value proposition of the zuckbucks will then be to provide better quality of data and more consistent updates; I am faithful this will be blocked by regulations, at least in EU, where not only monetary policy will kick in, but also anti-trust policies triggered by a monopolistic configuration of the market. Will the world be a better place then? probably not, but still not worst than it is now.

Not reading often here, if urgent contact me via E-Mail: J @ Dyne.org
GPG fingerprint: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02  C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10

#18 2019-07-09 14:23:51

Panopticon

Your welcome jaromil.

Ive always been careful online with my privacy but there is only so much one can do when faced with big tech and the gov when push comes to shove and then it is out of my sphere in influence or control etc. I just hope my data is secure, but where i am in some transactions we must do in regards to work, tax etc there is always the thought of what are the doing with my information, they have all of it due to the infrastructure created around being a contribute to the society banking and social norms. I like what you are trying to accomplish at dyne and elsewhere in regards to data privacy, some long term goals that are truly worthy of the people to consider.

#19 2019-07-16 01:19:49

alupoj

I would not blindly trust neither Russia Today nor any big and significant western mass media.

All of them on the very top are controlled by ZOG and used to manipulate people for a profit of ZOG. They artificially pump up a difference of potentials (like a voltage) in people minds to make more people's debts as a goal to extract more labor from people. ZOG issue (electronically "print") as much money by themselves as they need, but they do not have unlimited labor force, that is why they need a people debt and also for a control.

In Russia this information is actively banned and deleted almost instantly on most forums.
Therefore I conclude they are even afraid of people know about their lie. When I wrote about this on different russian forums they artificially and remotely (I guess by some type of a radio channel may be from satellite, GSM or WIFI) produced a pain in bone marrow of my mother and she called me to get some analgesic for her, I have all (several) calls recordings corresponding by their time to posting on russian forums threads saved to web archive (now deleted from forums).

Also russian people often experience from suffering their human rights (augmented by attackers lie, criminal pressure even from government institutions may be occupied by ZOG agents too) , Russia is not a good place to get truthful official information from, their official big news channels are targeted to get gains and profits only for their government and oligarchs without usual respect to the rest of general people. Mass media generally produce a mixture of truth and false hardly to distinguish from each other just for a manipulation of audience minds, all of them finally lie for ZOG profit.

Last edited by alupoj (2019-07-17 01:20:32)

#20 2019-07-16 10:52:31

alupoj

pod-lampoj.jpg

#21 2019-07-16 12:49:53

Panopticon

alupoj wrote:

I would not blindly trust neither Russia Today nor any western mass media.

All of them on the very top are controlled by ZOG and used to manipulate people for a profit of ZOG. They artificially pump up a difference of potentials (like a voltage) in people minds to make more people's debts as a goal to extract more labor from people. ZOG issue (electronically "print") as much money by themselves as they need, but they do not have unlimited labor force, that is why they need a people debt and also for a control.

In Russia this information is actively banned and deleted almost instantly on most forums.
Therefore I conclude they are even afraid of people know about their lie. When I wrote about this on different russian forums they artificially and remotely (I guess by some type of a radio channel may be from satellite, GSM or WIFI) produced a pain in bone marrow of my mother and she called me to get some analgesic for her, I have all (several) calls recordings corresponding by their time to posting on russian forums threads saved to web archive (now deleted from forums).

Also russian people often experience from suffering their human rights (augmented by attackers lie, criminal pressure even from government institutions may be occupied by ZOG agents too) , Russia is not a good place to get truthful official information from, their news are finally targeted to get gains and profits only for their government and oligarchs without respect to the rest of  general people. All mass media produce a mix of true and false hardly to distinguish from each other just for manipulation of audience minds, all of them finally lie for ZOG profit.

For the most part your reply is beyond the scope of this thread. All main stream media outlets are bias towards whatever political agenda they serve, this is nothing new. Reading in between the lines is for most.

#22 2019-07-16 19:25:59

F_Sauce

Well done Jaromil!!

Lets just discuss everything!
Political filters (as well as religious ones), sorting out, is just stupid; among various aspects of this OS I do recognise Devuan in a global political context, and as such, the former statement follows logically!

Please, let us not be like so many other forums/plenums but just open up discussions concerning «everything 'relevant'»; the virtual part of our existence is increasingly playing an influential role in peoples lives, thus, discuss and argue, concrete or abstract, analyse and synthesise ...

Although this is primarily a distro forum I think it's not inappropriate to open up for a (even) wider discussion, not at least given the founding premises for its formation.

Cheers,
Olav

#23 2019-07-16 20:31:56

Dutch_Master

I foresee a permanent lock coming on roll

#24 2019-07-16 20:40:00

golinux
Administrator

That would be the second lock on this thread.  Let's see if Devuan users can get it together to stay on topic and not wander off into flights of fancy (that might be very real to them).  Anyway . . . it IS in OT.  Time will tell . . .

Board footer