The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-22 17:05:42

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] Miyo-i3 Releases

Unless something happens, and if this stinkin' internet here cooperates, I hope to have both 32 and 64 bit versions of Miyo-i3 uploaded to Sourceforge tomorrow.... tongue  LOL!  I'll upload screenshots and the download link after they're available.

Until then, I'm giving these bad boys a real testin' with some Trans Siberian Orchestra. wink

https://youtu.be/S1ydb6F3cEg

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-12-23 14:59:42)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2017-12-23 15:23:45

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] Miyo-i3 Releases

Okay...the Miyo-i3 releases are now available.

Here's the condensed version of the release notes...

THE INSTALLER, LIVE USER NOTES, AND RELEASE NOTES ARE LOCATED IN THE DESKTOP FOLDER OF THE FILE MANAGER.

PLEASE READ THE "LIVE USER NOTES" FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET AND HOW TO CHANGE YOUR KEYBOARD LAYOUT IN THE LIVE SESSION.

Miyo-i3 was made so that users could have a minimal and base system on which to add the software and applications that they choose. Miyo is simply an acronym for "make it your own".

PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS INCLUDED IN MIYOLINUX.

Live User Information:

Username = miyo
Password = miyo
Root password= miyo

RELEASE NOTES

While the Jessie .isos were made in December 2017, I'm releasing them as 2018 releases. smile

These versions of Miyo-i3 are based on Devuan Jessie.

1. In addition to dmenu, Miyo-i3 includes gmrun and the Menutray menu.
2. This release uses Devuan's Amprolla3 repositories.
3. Logout, Restart, Shutdown, etc. are immediate...no warning dialog.
4. Number Lock is included but not activated.
5. Added a "Start Up" sound when the desktop loads.
6. Didn't include GUFW, but UFW is installed.
7. Didn't include an Archive Manager to allow users to choose their own.
8. i3Lock usage (for those unfamiliar with it).
9. MiyoLinux Accessories.
10. Wallpapers are handled with Nitrogen instead of Feh.
11. Regarding the use of Compton.
12. For users who may want to upgrade to Ascii.
13. For users who would like the Update Notifier.
14. Keybinding for opening a web browser.
15. Mounting Removable Devices.
16. How to change the MOD key.
17. Volume Control on the i3bar.

More information for each is given in the full Release Notes.

By the way, I took dmenu (aka suckless-tools) from Ascii to give better font rendering in its menu. wink

Miyo-i3 is light on resources, but you can make it even a little lighter by disabling Wicd in the system tray. smile

If you install Miyo-i3, don't be surprised at how the installer appears on your screen...it's i3 after all, but the installer works the same. wink

For those who have been interested in i3 but didn't feel comfortable trying it, my hope is that Miyo-i3 will help you feel at least a little more comfortable. i3 isn't for everyone, but it's certainly fun to use and learn. Miyo-i3 still tiles windows, but I've included the Menutray menu to hopefully make the acclimation a little easier. Menutray looks similar to the LXDE menu and/or the menu in MiyoLinux...it's made by the same developer who made Obmenu-Generator. smile  Notes on how to use it are included in the Release Notes.

Edited to add: The Menutray menu is the little icon in the lower right that looks like a little house. Just click on it to open the menu.

Also, while i3 offers a seemingly endless amount of configuration, if you're new to i3, just familiarize yourself with the i3 Configuration file first. It's found in...

~/.i3/config

...or, there's a link to it in the Menutray menu for easy access. After you get the basics down, then explore deeper. A great place to learn more is the official i3 site ...  https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

Edited to add again: In these screenshots, I have my wireless connection commented out on i3bar...didn't want my IP showing here. tongue  The default is to show Wireless and Ethernet. Both show on the i3bar, but depending on which one you're using, the active connection will be green, and the other will be red and show Down...hence the "E down" in the screenshots...not using Ethernet.

Here are some screenshots with the two new MiyoLinux wallpapers...click to enlarge them...

The default desktop with dmenu showing at the top...I moved the Conky to the left side of the screen so that it wouldn't clash with Menutray...

2017-12-23-093211-1366x768-scrot.png?1514040697

The default desktop with the Menutray menu...

2017-12-23-093356-1366x768-scrot.png?1514040809

The second wallpaper with a quick adjustment to the conky colors showing dmenu...

2017-12-23-094042-1366x768-scrot.png?1514040904

...and the second wallpaper with the Menutray menu (different theme chosen)...

2017-12-23-094138-1366x768-scrot.png?1514040982

Finally, here's the link to where it can be downloaded. Have fun, and make it your own! smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … elease/i3/

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-12-23 17:29:41)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#3 2017-12-26 01:49:49

MiyoLinux

A little overview of Miyo-i3...

https://youtu.be/wGpjQIpVcnE

#4 2017-12-26 03:58:23

golinux
Administrator

Hey, Miyo . . . what a great video!  Loved the music (tho a little dramatic) and your ever-present sense of humor.  i3 looks interesting.  Might try it if I weren't snowed under theming ascii etc.

#5 2017-12-26 05:11:34

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

Hey, Miyo . . . what a great video!  Loved the music (tho a little dramatic) and your ever-present sense of humor.  i3 looks interesting.  Might try it if I weren't snowed under theming ascii etc.

Wow. Thank you for the kind words ma'am! It's greatly appreciated!

Kind of funny that you used the word "dramatic"...when I searched for music for the video, I used "dramatic" as a keyword! tongue

I like my videos like I like my corn...

Corny. big_smile

Whether you try Miyo-i3 or not, I sincerely thank you for your kind words. Take care!

#6 2018-10-08 18:18:49

catprints

@ miyo    This thread is nearly a year old. It took that long to check out various window manager/file manager/ascii combinations and end up back where I started.  i3/pcmanfm/ascii-nice combo. I was put off by i3 complexity and keyboard shortcuts when I first looked at it but it is really growing on me. I only use my miyo disk to look through the files and help me with my own desktop built from the jessie minimal install. But I am grateful to have a reference and an interesting reference at that. Seriously-it helps. Belated Thank you!

"The obstacle is the path."

#7 2018-10-08 22:31:23

MiyoLinux

catprints wrote:

@ miyo    This thread is nearly a year old. It took that long to check out various window manager/file manager/ascii combinations and end up back where I started.  i3/pcmanfm/ascii-nice combo. I was put off by i3 complexity and keyboard shortcuts when I first looked at it but it is really growing on me. I only use my miyo disk to look through the files and help me with my own desktop built from the jessie minimal install. But I am grateful to have a reference and an interesting reference at that. Seriously-it helps. Belated Thank you!

catprints,

Thank you...that's one of the nicest compliments I may have ever received. I'm so glad to know that it's helped. smile

Take care!

#8 2019-02-09 21:47:25

MiyoLinux

Quick preview of the upcoming Miyo-i3...  smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgr1Wf7R00

#9 2019-02-09 22:34:30

golinux
Administrator

Wonderful!  You always make me smile.  big_smile

#10 2019-02-09 22:42:53

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

Wonderful!  You always make me smile.  big_smile

Well...not to toot my own horn, but I am a smiley kind'a guy...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! tongue

#11 2019-02-16 21:36:36

MiyoLinux

The new versions of Miyo-i3 are now available. smile  I've made a few improvements over the last release of Miyo-i3...I think. LOLOLOLOLOL!!! tongue

Here is a video overview of it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkXMRCxM0E&t=116s

Downloads include 32 bit, 64 bit, and a 64 bit EFI version. They are available for download here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … elease/i3/

#12 2019-02-25 21:46:12

cmul

MiyoLinux,

Thank you for your work on Miyo-i3!  I am a happy devuan and i3 convert, and I have been looking for a simple installation medium to get me easily rolling with i3 for a while.

Great work on this, and I look forward to leading others your way for their computing needs as well!

Sincerely,

cmul

#13 2019-02-26 02:18:17

MiyoLinux

cmul wrote:

MiyoLinux,

Thank you for your work on Miyo-i3!  I am a happy devuan and i3 convert, and I have been looking for a simple installation medium to get me easily rolling with i3 for a while.

Great work on this, and I look forward to leading others your way for their computing needs as well!

Sincerely,

cmul

Hi cmul! Today was the first time I've visited the forum in SEVERAL days, so I'm glad I saw this on the day you wrote it...  smile

Thank you for the kind words, and I'm really happy to know that Miyo-i3 is working well for you! It's always good to know that I've done something right. LOL! tongue

I do hope you enjoy using the system, and thank you so much for taking the time to let me know.

Take care!

#14 2019-05-10 07:55:28

MiyoLinux

Hi everyone!

Sorry...I'm battling a migraine, so I'll keep this short and sweet. Just wanted to let anyone interested know that there are new Miyo-i3 versions available...based on beowulf.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … 3/beowulf/

#15 2019-05-11 14:15:04

catprints

Wow. You are not lazy miyo. A lot went into your i3/beowulf work. I have been very happy with i3/pcmanfm/ascii and then beowulf upgrade for some time now. I figured I could get some new info from your efforts and I have already. Many Thanks.

"The obstacle is the path."

#16 2019-05-11 18:05:33

MiyoLinux

catprints wrote:

Wow. You are not lazy miyo. A lot went into your i3/beowulf work. I have been very happy with i3/pcmanfm/ascii and then beowulf upgrade for some time now. I figured I could get some new info from your efforts and I have already. Many Thanks.

Thank you catprints. smile

Yes, well...not being one to brag, but yes...it's true. I am the Distro-Ninja, the OS-Extraordinaire, the King-of-Desktop-Bling, the Master-of-Linux-Casters.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! tongue

Sorry...I couldn't resist. big_smile

I do hope it was helpful, and thank you for the kind words. Take care!

Board footer