The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-03 22:21:56

crankypuss

VLC has no codecs

Okay, i think the problem came up because i didn't have non-free repositories in sources.lst

It's in there now.  I've uninstalled VLC and reinstalled it, still no codecs.

Thinkpad T510, the dvd player worked when Windows-10 was installed.

I wanna love Devuan.  I'm trying, but compared to Android for installs, not so great.  First ncurses for php, now vlc.

sources.list:

# deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0_i386_dvd-1]/ ascii main non-free

# deb cdrom:[devuan_ascii_2.0.0_i386_dvd-1]/ ascii non-free main

deb http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main non-free contrib
deb-src http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii main non-free contrib

deb http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-security main non-free contrib
deb-src http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-security main non-free contrib

deb http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-updates main non-free contrib
deb-src http://us.deb.devuan.org/merged/ ascii-updates main non-free contrib

#2 2019-05-03 22:45:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: VLC has no codecs

To get DVDs working install libdvd-pkg.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2019-05-04 01:51:24

crankypuss

Okay, installing libdvd-pkg (synaptic) brings the following up:

"This package automates the process of launching downloads of the source files for libdvdcss2 from videolan.org, compiling them, and installing the binary packages (libdvdcss2 libdvdcss-dev).

Please run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg" to launch this process for the first time."

Seems like it should tell you to exit synaptic first, if you don't things are locked.

Running it produces this:

libdvd-pkg: Downloading orig source...
I: libdvdcss_1.4.0
/usr/bin/wget --tries=3 --timeout=40 --read-timeout=40 --continue -O libdvdcss_1.4.0.orig.tar.bz2 \
          http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvd … .0.tar.bz2 \
        || /usr/bin/uscan --noconf --verbose --rename --destdir=/usr/src/libdvd-pkg --check-dirname-level=0 --force-download --download-current-version /usr/share/libdvd-pkg/debian
--2019-05-03 19:45:48--  http://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvd … .0.tar.bz2
Resolving download.videolan.org (download.videolan.org)... 2a01:e0d:1:3:58bf:fa02:c0de:5, 88.191.250.2
Connecting to download.videolan.org (download.videolan.org)|2a01:e0d:1:3:58bf:fa02:c0de:5|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 364373 (356K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘libdvdcss_1.4.0.orig.tar.bz2’

libdvdcss_1.4.0.ori 100%[===================>] 355.83K   576KB/s    in 0.6s   

2019-05-03 19:45:49 (576 KB/s) - ‘libdvdcss_1.4.0.orig.tar.bz2’ saved [364373/364373]

libdvd-pkg: Checking orig.tar integrity...
/usr/src/libdvd-pkg/libdvdcss_1.4.0.orig.tar.bz2: OK
libdvd-pkg: Unpacking and configuring...
libdvd-pkg: Building the package... (it may take a while)
libdvd-pkg: Build log will be saved to /usr/src/libdvd-pkg/libdvdcss2_1.4.0-1~local_i386.build
Current: = cap_chown,cap_dac_override,cap_dac_read_search,cap_fowner,cap_fsetid,cap_kill,cap_setgid,cap_setuid,cap_setpcap,cap_linux_immutable,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_broadcast,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_ipc_lock,cap_ipc_owner,cap_sys_module,cap_sys_rawio,cap_sys_chroot,cap_sys_ptrace,cap_sys_pacct,cap_sys_admin,cap_sys_boot,cap_sys_nice,cap_sys_resource,cap_sys_time,cap_sys_tty_config,cap_mknod,cap_lease,cap_audit_write,cap_audit_control,cap_setfcap,cap_mac_override,cap_mac_admin,cap_syslog,cap_wake_alarm,cap_block_suspend,cap_audit_read+ep
Bounding set =cap_chown,cap_dac_override,cap_fowner,cap_wake_alarm,cap_block_suspend,cap_audit_read
Securebits: 024/0x14/5'b10100
secure-noroot: no (unlocked)
secure-no-suid-fixup: yes (unlocked)
secure-keep-caps: yes (unlocked)
uid=0(root)
gid=0(root)
groups=0(root)
libdvd-pkg: Installing...
Selecting previously unselected package libdvdcss-dev:i386.
(Reading database ... 165303 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libdvdcss-dev_1.4.0-1~local_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libdvdcss-dev:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libdvdcss2-dbgsym:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libdvdcss2-dbgsym_1.4.0-1~local_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libdvdcss2-dbgsym:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libdvdcss2:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libdvdcss2_1.4.0-1~local_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libdvdcss2:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Setting up libdvdcss2:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Setting up libdvdcss-dev:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Setting up libdvdcss2-dbgsym:i386 (1.4.0-1~local) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u4) ...

i'm not seeing any error messages at the end of the output.

VLC still cannot play a dvd.  Its media-information display is empty, all tabs are empty, though it shows the correct name of the dvd.

It plays audio disks fine, dvd's are no-go.

#4 2019-05-04 06:57:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please use code tags when posting terminal output.

crankypuss wrote:

Seems like it should tell you to exit synaptic first, if you don't things are locked.

Seems like the error message given if you try that is quite sufficient.

Devuan is intended for competent GNU/Linux users, perhaps try one of the derivatives if you're finding it a challenge.

crankypuss wrote:

dvd's are no-go

Try

# apt install libdvdread4

#5 2019-05-05 04:47:46

crankypuss

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Devuan is intended for competent GNU/Linux users, perhaps try one of the derivatives if you're finding it a challenge.

Try

# apt install libdvdread4

That worked, and thank you for the insult. 

Care to explain why i had to go through all this in order to get the codecs that should have been installed as part of the VLC package?

No, you probably don't; it would involve admitting that the package is broken, and linux advocates do not ever admit that anything is broken, badly designed, etc---instead they insult the user to make him/her go away.

It's been this way forever, Catch-22, you have to read all the code to get anything done.  It's typical of test-level code, pre-beta stuff that somebody slapped into the distro kinda sorta.  It's a community issue.

Anyway thanks to your insult and your suggestion, i'm able to play dvd's.  Now i get to try and figure out what bluetooth components are missing/mal-installed and preventing a DOSS SoundBox from connecting.

People probably wonder why Android and ChromeOS are so popular and linux less so: installing apps on those platforms just works, unlike linux.  That's because Google put the work in to make things install correctly.  Unlike *any* linux platform i've used in the past however many years since ubuntu-oneric was current.

Why does the linux community have to remain stuck like this?

#6 2019-05-05 05:05:52

golinux
Administrator

I must say that you're living up to your nick.

#7 2019-05-05 05:22:48

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Well, totally right in that about insults, though. Not the Google bit, obviously, but the rest smile

#8 2019-05-05 09:58:20

MiyoLinux

smile  tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#9 2019-05-05 10:56:02

PedroReina
Website

crankypuss wrote:

Care to explain why i had to go through all this in order to get the codecs that should have been installed as part of the VLC package?

Because not every user of VLC needs to see DVDs. But, IMHO, libdvdread4 could be a recommended package of VLC.

#10 2019-05-05 13:00:02

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

crankypuss wrote:

Because Devuan derives it's packages from Debian and the extra content needed to play DVDs violates the DSFG and so cannot be included in the official repositories.

You would already know this if you spent your time researching the subject instead of whinging like a spoilt little baby.

#11 2019-05-05 13:13:47

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@Head_on_a_Stick I can't decide if I should label you stupidly arrogant or arrogantly stupid. In any case I look forward to you growing up.

#12 2019-05-05 14:57:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

I look forward to you growing up.

*blows raspberry*

#13 2019-05-05 15:29:22

Panopticon

Someone needs to brush up on their FOSS.

Dvd rom and CD rom will be a thing of the past in the not too distant future imo.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-05-05 15:29:45)

#14 2019-05-05 21:07:33

SmokeyGrey

I'm not a lawyer, so take this with the appropriate amount of salt.

libdvdcss2 is opensource GPL software designed to bypass the encryption on DVDs.

The reason why it can't be included by default in Debian/Devuan is because of US copyright law. As I understand, it is illegal in the US to distribute software designed to bypass copyright protection. VLC can produce and distribute libdvdcss2 because they are based in France, where copyright law is less restrictive. Notice how the package downloads the source code from VLCs servers and builds it locally.

This has nothing to do with "beta quality software" or "the Linux community". Windows, and other proprietary operating systems, can play DVDs out of the box because they are able and willing to pay licensing fees for proprietary codecs. They don't need to jump through hoops to enable users to view content they legally purchased. If anything, the problem is with DVDs themselves.

If you want a Linux Distribution that can include codecs, try Linux Mint. It's based in Ireland, which also has less restrictive copyright law. Mint is also more likely to "just work" without putting in the effort, which seems to be what you're looking for. Just be prepared to get frustrated when it becomes a massive pain to do any significant customization, and expect systemd to give you grief.

#15 2019-05-06 03:37:24

crankypuss

golinux wrote:

You know what?  I have supported packages.  Not here, not linux, not lately.  In the '80s and '90s within IBM there was a repository called vmtools.  I'm not fresh off the street.  In fact i was learning to write code before Linus was born, and in 1972 i was writing kernel code as a new grad.  It was a good time.

I've been watching the software industry go downhill since around 2000, and it was bad enough then, but actually it's been going downhill since the late 1970s when Apple was just getting started and Microsoft was doing its thing.

I've been using linux since Ubuntu-oneric, whenever that was, almost a decade i guess, ligaf.  I dug in and learned.  I saw linux early on, when all there was were a few cd's available in any bookstore.  I looked at it then and i've kept an eye on it since.

About the time i got ubuntu tuned up to where it was almost fit to use, putting it bells and whistles like a login page that tells you which of your dozen partitions you are actually running, blah blah.  Wrote some utilities to make life easier.  Life was good, time to get down to some serious code for a change.

Then the next release broke pretty much everything, systemd had its effects.  I fixed my stuff release after release, somewhat incredulous at the primitive tools people were using.

I understand the legal mess.  I understand the technology we invented in earlier generations because i was there and doing some of it.  I understand the emasculating effects of non-competition agreements.  I've started businesses, sold software, perhaps been ripped off by Microsoft but that's dead and gone.

So when i see some of this stuff... bash for krissake, IBM passed beyond that decades ago, and they quit being leaders with OS/360, they no longer have the balls to bet the company.  It's getting worse and worse.  Now everybody is following Apple, first getting rid of the Delete key, then moving everything to the cloud.  Adobe has made Photoshop "rental only", and is gimp ready to step in?

Whatever.  When i was actively in the industry, i had a family to support.  Since i retired in 2000 i haven't been doing much software.  Since my wife died i've been doing even less.  Now i'm coming back to life and the whole FOSS thing pisses me off.

Oh, i'm absolutely in favor of free-and-open-source-software, but the legalities of it all rather displease me.  And mixing FOSS and proprietary is a huge mess for legal reasons.

But folks, we don't have to let it stay this way!  We can actually start software moving forward again, instead of getting our emojis updated!

Bah, nobody cares, and nobody believes some used-up old never-was.

That's okay, i don't care that much either.  I'll only ever write one more app anyway.

At least there are some folks here worth arguing with, a couple of them could use a thump upside the head with the stupid-stick, but karma is real and the effects you've caused will come around to kick your ass sooner or later. 

We know what can be done, we just don't bother to do it.

#16 2019-05-06 05:37:40

golinux
Administrator

As I was saying . . .

#17 2019-05-07 14:51:38

roluan17

Thanks a lot for the answers in this thread. It helped me to find out, why my totem player did not play DVD's.
But it helped me too through the day (I was in a kind of stinking mood, because I wanted to watch that film and not seeking errors)

That was good! ;-)
(Did you look up "crankypuss"? I did:

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/1422856694 … 9/?lp=true

even better:
https://crankypuss.wordpress.com/

Thanks again for both: help and laughter

#18 2019-05-07 15:05:23

roluan17

Oh, I forgot:

whinging like a spoilt little baby

That was good too.
Hope ralph.ronnquist doesn't grumble now.

#19 2019-05-07 15:49:42

crankypuss

roluan17 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the answers in this thread. It helped me to find out, why my totem player did not play DVD's.
But it helped me too through the day (I was in a kind of stinking mood, because I wanted to watch that film and not seeking errors)

That was good! ;-)
(Did you look up "crankypuss"? I did:

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/1422856694 … 9/?lp=true

even better:
https://crankypuss.wordpress.com/

Thanks again for both: help and laughter

Glad you got something useful from the thread.

That's some other crankypuss.  I used to have a blog (on blogger) called "the Totally Portable Software project" but when i now go to the link i have for it, it demands that i "confirm your profile" and it can kiss my ass because i don't want to confirm any goddamn profile.  Probably if you look it up with your favorite search engine and take the link, it won't ask you to confirm any profile, or maybe Google have decided it was a bad idea and wasted it, no great loss blogger never was good for much imo.

#20 2019-05-07 15:53:30

crankypuss

roluan17 wrote:

Oh, I forgot:

whinging like a spoilt little baby

That was good too.
Hope ralph.ronnquist doesn't grumble now.

There's no accounting for morons.  It can't be helped.  You can try to train them, but their brains are lacking a few connections or something.  If you thump one upside the head enough to get it to listen, it'll accept pretty much whatever you pour in, but it still fails to discern fashion from engineering, and can't come up with something new without a diagram drawn in crayon.

Board footer