The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-18 01:19:03

pekman

Feedback devuan rc2

Hello Devuans.

I am using RC2, happy with what I am getting, but I want to discuss some points.

1 - Quodlibet - I believe that this in and the best choice. We have other best: Audacious, Guayadeque, Deadbeef... Guayadeque would be a good choice, because the great support for radio and shoutcast.

2 - VLC - I think that MPV AND THE BEST CHOICE, mainly because the deps QT required by VLC.

3 - Libreoffice - and really necessary? It would be better the user install if you want?

4 - I Came - How many users will use came in the XFCE version?

Devuan could look more to the minimalism and enhance the intelligence of its users.

Make Devuan less swollen and more minimalist. Good job to everyone.

I am waiting for the feedback from the community!

#2 2017-05-18 01:50:03

golinux
Administrator

Re: Feedback devuan rc2

@pekman . . . you can't get more minimal than the minimal-live isos.  You can build up from there.

#3 2017-05-18 16:00:06

FOSSuser

Maybe you should take a look at a couple of distros based on Devuan --> MIYO or Good Life.

There are quite a few of us that like to put our own choice of programs on our computers, these 2 seem to have it right, & they include firmware for wifi. smile

#4 2017-05-19 01:07:33

smoki

pekman wrote:

4 - I Came - How many users will use came in the XFCE version?

XFCE is used by about 15% according to Debian's popcon.

Linux communities are real diverse... i like to say - traditionaly most people on Linux Desktop use Gnome or KDE, but majority uses something else and that is not Unity not even Gnome's leftovers like MATE and Cinnamon big_smile

So if suggestion is not obvious now you have an idea, as if you wanna minimal Desktop... then ditching any of these is good starting point. And maybe also think twice if you need some app that depends on some parts of their frameworks, as that is rule for breakages, general PITA as leads to bloat.

Now, if you ask... but what is left if i ditch all these? Exactly that, your minimal Desktop of choice smile You might share results with others or not, again your choice.

Last edited by smoki (2017-05-19 02:03:39)

#5 2017-05-19 18:16:29

greenjeans
Website

I agree 100% about Libreoffice, that should be left to the user to choose to install or not, it's been my experience that ~95% of end-users never use it.

The QT in VLC aggravates me too, unfortunately the other bad thing about VLC is that it has become almost the only game in town. Everything just always works, and that's a great comfort to someone trying to make a user-friendly system.

MPV needs a little work, I can't seem to get it to play DVD's on openbox, and doing it in mate took some work.  Needs moar gui.

I like Exaile for music, works really well for me, internet radio works great with lots of stations pre-programmed in now, you can even add "now playing" info from Exaile into a conky display.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#6 2017-05-19 18:28:24

golinux
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:

The QT in VLC aggravates me too, unfortunately the other bad thing about VLC is that it has become almost the only game in town. Everything just always works, and that's a great comfort to someone trying to make a user-friendly system.

The QT VLC did not work for me when it was first installed on jessie.  I ended up snatching the GTK version from Wheezy which works just fine.  Of course that's a very short term solution . . .

#7 2017-05-19 19:47:15

greenjeans
Website

golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

The QT VLC did not work for me when it was first installed on jessie.  I ended up snatching the GTK version from Wheezy which works just fine.  Of course that's a very short term solution . . .

Interesting, was that using Xfce?

Worked fine for me on Mate.  It doesn't take all the QT libraries to run, just a few, I just hate having any QT at all on my pristine GTK system.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#8 2017-05-19 20:25:45

golinux
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:
golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

Interesting, was that using Xfce?

Yes.

#9 2017-05-20 00:07:59

smoki

greenjeans wrote:

MPV needs a little work, I can't seem to get it to play DVD's on openbox, and doing it in mate took some work.  Needs moar gui.

And in recent mpv DVD is disabled by default:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/releases

MPV actually tend to remove a lot of older MPlayer's functionality, so if you need old things working MPlayer keep these so it is better from that POV and partiiculary it is better for old hardware without decode functionality... MPV is sort of an Mplayer guy who wanna be modern and ignore or care less about old things.

Both are active in git/svn (i use these instead of old packaged versions actually) so i can't favor nor decide between these two... depends on age of hardware and what user wants to achieve i guess.

Board footer