The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-31 15:00:09

superfufuze

Installing devuan without pulseaudio.

Good Morning Ladies and Gents,

Thanks for having me here. I've surfed till the ends of the internets, yet I can't find a single solution to my issue.

How can I install ascii without pulseaudio rather than install it with, then perform some tinkering to get rid of it?

I apologize in advance if that topic was already covered, I trolled these forums and didn't find anything.

#2 2019-01-31 17:13:58

PedroReina
Website

Re: Installing devuan without pulseaudio.

May be there are other posibilities better than mine, but I share what I do: using netinstall.iso I choose minimal system and then install only the packages I know that I need, almost one by one at first (consuming task, but I'm used to do it and now I've some bash scripts). This way, you can see if pulseaudio try to get installed and when.

Two pieces of advice: do not install recommended packages and use apulse instead of pulseaudio when needed (I use it for Firefox).

#3 2019-02-01 12:20:12

superfufuze

Something fun for me to do this week end, cheers!

#4 2019-02-02 15:41:31

thierrybo

I don't know if it is easy to remove pulseaudio with the default apt settings. However on a system installed from scratch with recommended packages disabled, I added and removed pulseaudio later without any issues (ascii)

Last edited by thierrybo (2019-02-02 15:41:51)

#5 2019-02-02 15:45:38

Ron

Does Miyo have pulseaudio already removed? It's not installed on my system and I don't remember removing it.

#6 2019-02-02 19:53:30

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Does Miyo have pulseaudio already removed? It's not installed on my system and I don't remember removing it.

Hi Ron! Hope you're doing well!

Miyo was "pulse-free" until Miyo-Modern was released late last year.

With that release, I decided to include it for two reasons...

1. Miyo is meant to make it easier for those who may be interested in a window manager, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet (for whatever reason).

2. Though I personally prefer using alsa, there are many folks who have more than one soundcard. Unfortunately, alsa doesn't automatically choose the correct one; whereas, pulseaudio does. So...for those who may be unaware of how to set their correct soundcard with alsa, I decided to use pulse in my latest builds in order to help folks.

Those who are familiar with setting their sound card with alsa will have no problem removing pulse...and yes, I've removed it with no issues on actual installations. Just run these commands...

sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio*

sudo apt-get remove --purge pavucontrol*

sudo apt-get autoremove

After that, set your soundcard with alsa (if needed), reboot, and bam! Sound without pulsification! tongue big_smile

So, unless you've reinstalled with Miyo-Modern or Miyo-Basic...you didn't get pulseaudio from me!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-02-02 19:55:54)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#7 2019-02-02 21:04:17

Ron

Thanks for the info, MiyoLinux. So at risk of hijacking this thread, will future releases of Miyo-Openbox (or Awesome) continue to not include pulseaudio?

#8 2019-02-02 21:59:15

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks for the info, MiyoLinux. So at risk of hijacking this thread, will future releases of Miyo-Openbox (or Awesome) continue to not include pulseaudio?

That's a good question.

I'm currently working on a new i3 version (as I have time), and it will also include pulse. I've tried building a Miyo based on beowulf, and for now, pulse isn't working no matter what I try to do. LOL!

As I've pondered this, I've thought about no longer including pulse in any of my builds, and leaving instructions in the release notes on how to enable the correct sound card with alsa. I have a wiki page on Sourceforge on how to do this (thanks mlsmith0!), but I don't know how many people view it. The problem is, very few people actually read release notes, and they just jump right in...myself included! LOLOLOL!!! tongue

My ultimate goal is this...

1. To introduce people to Devuan as easily as possible.
2. To introduce people to window managers as easily as possible.

When "things" don't work out of the box, it turns people off. If I can "introduce" them to something, and hopefully somehow...someway...encourage them to dig a little deeper, then that makes me happy. I may not always be successful, but that's my goal and what I try to do. So to answer your question as to whether Miyo will continue using pulse...

...at this point, I can't answer that! LOL! tongue

I would prefer not to, but I tend to look at the bigger picture. Such as, will "user-Joe" be able to listen to his mp3s or YouTube out of the box, or will he not have any sound if he doesn't read the release notes or visit the wiki page? If he doesn't read the release notes or visit the wiki page, and he has no sound, will he go to a forum somewhere and proclaim that Miyo (and Devuan) doesn't work?

I remember when I first started using Linux...I had very little knowledge about it...and when things didn't work like I hoped, I blamed the distro. It took me a while to get past that in my understanding. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#9 2019-02-02 22:18:54

golinux
Administrator

@Miyo . . . More and more apps like Firefox are depending on pulseaudio with each release.   In this forum and elsewhere, there have been discussions on how to substitute apulse/alsa for pulseaudio.  I have not tried it (still on Jessie).  Alessandro Selli offered to post a howto for apulse on this forum but it hasn't appeared yet.  I will not upgrade to Firefox that requires pulseaudio until I know that I can get around it.  Stay tuned . . .

#10 2019-02-02 22:54:01

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

@Miyo . . . More and more apps like Firefox are depending on pulseaudio with each release.   In this forum and elsewhere, there have been discussions on how to substitute apulse/alsa for pulseaudio.  I have not tried it (still on Jessie).  Alessandro Selli offered to post a howto for apulse on this forum but it hasn't appeared yet.  I will not upgrade to Firefox that requires pulseaudio until I know that I can get around it.  Stay tuned . . .

Thank you ma'am.

I'm a rebel and use Firefox Quantum...download the tar file from Firefox, extract it, and just run the executable. I made my own desktop file to run it with apulse with the following Exec line...

Exec= apulse /the/path/to/the/executable

Works great. Never have taken the time to figure out how to do it correctly. LOLOLOLOL!!!  big_smile tongue

#11 2019-02-02 23:14:20

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux wrote:
golinux wrote:

Thank you ma'am.

I'm a rebel and use Firefox Quantum...download the tar file from Firefox, extract it, and just run the executable. I made my own desktop file to run it with apulse with the following Exec line...

Exec= apulse /the/path/to/the/executable

Works great. Never have taken the time to figure out how to do it correctly. LOLOLOLOL!!!  big_smile tongue

By the way...that also works with a desktop file for the default firefox-esr...

Exec=apulse firefox-esr

smile

...try it from the Run Command or terminal too. It stinkin' works whether YouTube likes it or not! LOLOLOL!!! tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-02-02 23:19:07)

#12 2019-02-03 00:10:55

golinux
Administrator

Miyo to the rescue!!!  Thanks.

#13 2019-02-03 08:47:43

PedroReina
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Never have taken the time to figure out how to do it correctly.

That is the right way smile

#14 2019-02-03 12:07:38

MiyoLinux

PedroReina wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Never have taken the time to figure out how to do it correctly.

That is the right way smile

Oh. smile

#15 2019-02-15 07:18:26

Tatwi
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
Ron wrote:

1. Miyo is meant to make it easier for those who may be interested in a window manager, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet (for whatever reason).

2. Though I personally prefer using alsa, there are many folks who have more than one soundcard. Unfortunately, alsa doesn't automatically choose the correct one; whereas, pulseaudio does. So...for those who may be unaware of how to set their correct soundcard with alsa, I decided to use pulse in my latest builds in order to help folks.

Those who are familiar with setting their sound card with alsa will have no problem removing pulse...and yes, I've removed it with no issues on actual installations. Just run these commands...

sudo apt-get autoremove

After that, set your soundcard with alsa (if needed), reboot, and bam! Sound without pulsification! tongue big_smile

So, unless you've reinstalled with Miyo-Modern or Miyo-Basic...you didn't get pulseaudio from me!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I can confirm that it is that easy to simply remove Pulse Audio after installation. Personally, I remove PA, because it causes regular drops in signal ("choppiness") when recording audio through the RCA inputs on my TV tuner card (which is hooked up to my sound board).

If you're not familiar with setting the priority of your sound card in ALSA, here is what I do:

1. List sound cards installed
cat /proc/asound/cards

Output:

0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xfeb00000 irq 16
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfea60000 irq 49
 2 [SAA7134        ]: SAA7134 - SAA7134
                      saa7133[0] at 0xfe700000 irq 20
 3 [U0x46d0x825    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x825
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x825 at usb-0000:04:00.0-1, high speed

2. List playback devices
aplay -l

Output:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 11: HDMI 5 [HDMI 5]

3. Edit Alsa config
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

options snd-hda-intel id=Intel index=0
options snd_hda_codec_hdmi id=HDMI index=1
options saa7134_alsa id=SAA7134 index=2

Where 0 is the default output option and snd-hda-intel is the audio out on my motherboard.

If you're using Xfce, you may also find that it is helpful to have a volume icon on the toolbar. Thankfully there is an option for that in the repo!

sudo apt-get install volumeicon-alsa

And then add it to the startup
(Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart)
Command: volumeicon

#16 2019-02-15 13:41:55

thierrybo

I also removed pulseaudio and admittedly only an advanced user/geek will do that. Having to edit a text file using a root account to be able to change output device is not something you can use for average linux user.

I wonder why this is so difficult for a developer to write a gui for alsa with on the fly device change like pavucontrol does. I tried alsamixer, alsamixergui and gnomealasamixer, none does that.

However to ease things I do not use /etc/asound.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf, but ~/.asoundrc to not have to use root access each time I want to switch between my speakers or my headset.

# motherboard sound card
defaults.pcm.card 0 
defaults.pcm.device 0
# Headset
#defaults.pcm.card 2
#defaults.pcm.device 1

#17 2019-02-15 16:34:08

Panopticon

thierrybo, I use alsamixer in xterm and it has the ability to change sound cards on the fly, atleast i think that is what below commands do as i dont have another sound device i could check it on. I know its not gui but its just as good.

xterm -e alsamixer

then press F6 to select sound card

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-02-15 16:35:46)

#18 2019-02-15 18:31:58

thierrybo

Panopticon wrote:

thierrybo, I use alsamixer in xterm and it has the ability to change sound cards on the fly, at least i think that is what below commands do as i dont have another sound device i could check it on. I know its not gui but its just as good.

xterm -e alsamixer

You are lucky that F6 works for you, because for me it is only used to select the card you want to edit controls. It does not change the currently used sound device.

#19 2019-02-15 21:51:39

Ozi
Website

Might I add that Star doesn't have pulseaudio and never has had, only alsa and now also apulse. All the way back to before Star Genesis (Debian Wheezy).

#20 2019-02-16 10:53:11

Panopticon

thierrybo wrote:
Panopticon wrote:

thierrybo, I use alsamixer in xterm and it has the ability to change sound cards on the fly, at least i think that is what below commands do as i dont have another sound device i could check it on. I know its not gui but its just as good.

xterm -e alsamixer

You are lucky that F6 works for you, because for me it is only used to select the card you want to edit controls. It does not change the currently used sound device.

Im not certain of that as i dont have another audio device apart from a bluetooth speaker which uses jack anyway i think? What sort of sound devices do you need to use?

#21 2019-02-16 13:52:17

thierrybo

well it is just changing from the speakers to an usb headset.

#22 2019-02-16 16:14:32

Panopticon

thierrybo wrote:

well it is just changing from the speakers to an usb headset.

Sorry i dont have much experience with that sort of thing, if it doesn't have an audio jack its just not worth it. I dont like the current trend of audio tech leading into usb connection, the quality imo is just not there.

#23 2019-04-24 20:58:46

garyk

MiyoLinux wrote:
Ron wrote:

sudo apt-get autoremove

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Thanks for this howto.  It helped me get rid of pulseaudio and go back to straight alsa.   This post and the following link on how to configure /etc/asound.conf proved to be the solution for me.

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Board footer