The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-11 13:27:35

Dutch_Master

[package bump request] Youtube-dl

Could someone update the youtube-dl package for Ascii please? The current package is from mid-2017 and it's now failing on certain (but not all) YT URL's.

TIA!

(this is probably the wrong place, but I couldn't think of a better location. Probably tiredness, sorry!)

#2 2019-01-11 16:49:43

golinux
Administrator

Re: [package bump request] Youtube-dl

First, make sure a newer package isn't in backports etc. at https://pkginfo.devuan.org/ 
If not, submit a bug report at  https://bugs.devuan.org/ and send the report via email
Or compile it yourself.

#3 2019-01-11 16:52:57

GNUser

Once you've installed youtube-dl from a .deb package, you can update it to newest version with this command:

sudo pip install --upgrade youtube-dl

No need to recompile or hunt down a newer package.

#4 2019-01-11 17:11:00

golinux
Administrator

Thanks.  Never heard of that one.  I don't dl something often but use vlc when I do.

*edit*  So I poked around a bit and found advice not to use sudo pip.  I'm not saying it's not OK just providing info.

#5 2019-01-12 03:18:52

dzz

su -c 'youtube-dl --update
Password:

Updating to version 2019.01.10 ...

Simple as that..

Last edited by dzz (2019-01-12 03:22:23)

#6 2019-01-12 11:59:17

GNUser

Thanks, golinux. I did some research and, indeed, PyPI has fewer safeguards than a linux distro repo. So probably a good idea not to run pip as sudo/superuser.

Here is a paranoid solution that avoids running pip as superuser and also avoids running youtube-dl as superuser:

$ sudo apt remove youtube-dl
$ pip install youtube-dl
$ sudo ln -s $HOME/.local/bin/youtube-dl /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
now use youtube-dl as regular user

In this solution, user keeps youtube-dl updated with $ pip install --upgrade youtube-dl and neither pip nor youtube-dl ever run with root privileges.

Last edited by GNUser (2019-01-12 12:07:36)

#7 2019-01-12 16:33:02

Ron

Whenever YT-DL comes out with a new version, I just do:

sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

then

sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

#8 2019-01-12 16:58:46

alphalpha

if you intalled youtube-dl like Ron described you can simply

youtube-dl -U

to update

#9 2019-01-12 20:13:30

Dutch_Master

When I do that (installed from a .deb package) it tells me it detected yt-dl was installed via a package manager and I should use that to install a new version, then quits. It does not update the package!

@golinux: No offense, but I'm not cool with your 'compile it yourself' advise every time someone asks for the inclusion of a new or updated package. Yes, I could compile stuff myself, but then I'd be installing s/w outside of the apt tool chain, so what's the use of that? Taking that a step further, if I install tools/apps outside of the package management tools provided by Debian/Devuan, what's the purpose of a package manager? Then I could just switch back to Funtoo, which is a source-based distro anyway roll

#10 2019-01-12 20:50:51

golinux
Administrator

Dutch_Master wrote:

@golinux: No offense, but I'm not cool with your 'compile it yourself' advise every time someone asks for the inclusion of a new or updated package. Yes, I could compile stuff myself, but then I'd be installing s/w outside of the apt tool chain, so what's the use of that? Taking that a step further, if I install tools/apps outside of the package management tools provided by Debian/Devuan, what's the purpose of a package manager? Then I could just switch back to Funtoo, which is a source-based distro anyway roll

Fair enough . . . But please consider that Devuan's purpose is to provide an OS free of systemd.  We do that.  It is not "our" job to provide every package that a user may want.  Why?  This is a USER-supported effort.   If you would like to see the youtube-dl package included in the Devuan repos, great!  Please offer to build and maintain it for Devuan so ALL users can benefit.  Just don't expect a non-essential package like that to be maintained by someone on the Devuan team.  That's not our job.  Being uncool with that is hardly a productive solution.

PS.  Advice is a noun.  Advise is a verb.  wink

#11 2019-01-13 08:55:21

yeti

Dutch_Master wrote:

@golinux: No offense, but I'm not cool with your 'compile it yourself' advise every time someone asks for the inclusion of a new or updated package. Yes, I could compile stuff myself, but then I'd be installing s/w outside of the apt tool chain, so what's the use of that?

You can bake your own deb packages. So who is stopping you from packaging the stuff you compiled yourself? And with stuff that already is available in older versions it even is easier. You have a working example.

~$ apt-cache policy youtube-dl
youtube-dl:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2017.05.18.1-1
  Version table:
     2018.11.07-1~bpo9+1 100
        100 http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii-backports/main armhf Packages
     2017.05.18.1-1 500
        500 http://deb.devuan.org/merged ascii/main armhf Packages

Having two examples patching in the diff to youtube-dl's 2019 version really shouldn't need magic!

Last edited by yeti (2019-01-13 09:26:14)

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#12 2019-01-13 10:17:55

KatolaZ

Dutch_Master wrote:

Could someone update the youtube-dl package for Ascii please? The current package is from mid-2017 and it's now failing on certain (but not all) YT URL's.

TIA!

(this is probably the wrong place, but I couldn't think of a better location. Probably tiredness, sorry!)

Dear Dutch_Master,

with the risk of re-stating the obvious: Devuan (as Debian) is not a rolling release. Devuan ASCII is the stable branch of Devuan. Once a release becomes "stable" it will not receive updates any more, except for security issues, which will go anyway in <codename>-security, and simple issues related to the Debian packaging itself, which will go under <codename>-updates. This means that the versions of packages are freezed at the time the release went out (actually, a few months before that happens). There is a place for higher versions of some packages in Debian/Devuan, and that place is "<codename>-backports". This is a suite of the repo that offers newer versions of some packages to a stable release, guaranteeing that they will work without requiring anything that is not already available in the "main" suite and/or in the "<codename>-backports" suite itself.

Since youtube-dl is a script that keeps changing over and over again, and does not have many dependencies, the best options for a single user are probably to either 1) use the "source" version, and update it every once in a while,  or 2) install the deb from Ceres, and pin it down appropriately.

The third option would be to have youtube-dl included in Devuan's ascii-backports. But that needs somebody who is willing to maintain it for backports, i.e., to update it and make sure that it works properly in ASCII. There is no point in getting upset if you are suggested/requested to maintain a package you need, as there is no point in asking somebody else to do that on your behalf :-) Devuan is mainly a community effort, and the people currently working on Devuan development have no time to handle backports. Nevertheless, literally anybody is welcome to join such development effort, so this situation can change in the future if people interested in having such and such package backported to stable actually step up and do some work for that to happen.

HTH

KatolaZ

#13 2019-01-13 12:32:40

alphalpha

Dutch_Master wrote:

When I do that (installed from a .deb package) it tells me it detected yt-dl was installed via a package manager and I should use that to install a new version, then quits. It does not update the package!

the "youtube-dl -U" option does not work if you installed via package manager, thats why you should install it like ron said

sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rwx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl

#14 2019-01-13 17:46:19

yeti

We aren't discussing how to package the newest KiCad nightly!
Come on... one script only... it's a nice 1st contact to chiselling the first own deb!

Last edited by yeti (2019-01-13 17:47:48)

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#15 2019-01-26 21:02:14

Jens

You can also copy it to ~/bin and write a nightly user cron job. I wrote a Howto in the debian wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/JensKorte/youtube-dl

Board footer