The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-21 02:13:30

Will W.

RFC: Boobian

After a recent precedent in Debian community where package was removed from repository for non-technical reason[1] I expect more users to escape from Debian because of not accepting such politicized decisions (especially keeping in mind what the package which was a subject to deletion was allowing to grab information from websites without seeing advertisements, so the real reasons behind removing it are not clear).

So to advertise what Devuan is a really free community, not only free from corporate invasion of systemd but also free of pushing political agendas into world of free software I suggest to rename project to ironical name "Boobian".

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … =907199#47

Last edited by Will W. (2018-12-21 02:16:31)

#2 2018-12-21 02:47:05

golinux
Administrator

Re: RFC: Boobian

A link about that was posted on IRC.  I actually saw the "boobian" thing at that link.  You can't fix stupid.

#3 2018-12-21 03:14:58

Will W.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of  a discussion going on IRC, are there any outcomes of this discussion or is it still going on some channel?

Also could you please share the link?

Last edited by Will W. (2018-12-21 03:16:48)

#4 2018-12-21 03:17:40

golinux
Administrator

Will W. wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't aware of  a discussion going on IRC, are there any outcomes of this discussion or is it still going on some channel?

It was just a link dropped on #debianfork.  Almost no discussion.

Did you join this forum just to try to stir things up?  Seems a little odd for a first entrance.

#5 2018-12-21 04:05:45

Will W.

Because for solving technical questions just searching forum, reading wiki and mans is enough, but for things like that yeah, i need write permission so I had to register.

And also, the most important question (from which I should probably start): if WebOOB package be still shipped by Devuan?

#6 2018-12-21 04:20:37

golinux
Administrator

Will W. wrote:

And also, the most important question (from which I should probably start): if WebOOB package be still shipped by Devuan?

Sure, if someone steps up to maintain it long-term after it gets removed from Debian.

#7 2018-12-21 23:18:23

Will W.

Particularly as a (in the process of being former) Debian user I am concerned what some of the packages which I am using also have offensive (purposely or not) names (think of libass for subtitles).

And it could became such situation as it was in Fedora some years ago, when they had quite a lot of packages but a some useful one were missing as they were non-free and so they were not being officially supported and users had to connect some third-party repositories (maintained by smaller group of eyes).

And now in Debian it comes to a situation where it will have a lot of packages in the official repositories, but some of the useful ones will be not present (and won't be able to present officially) so users again will have to deal with third-party repos (or building packages locally).

And I'm saying above just solely from the practical side, without touching user's freedoms.

Last edited by Will W. (2018-12-21 23:19:37)

#8 2018-12-22 01:34:30

golinux
Administrator

@cynwulf . . . I know 'tis the season to be grumpy but can you please take it down a notch?  None of us here are happy about the direction Debian is going.  But let's just move on and do something constructive.  Maybe you would if you even used Debian or Devuan these days . . .

@Will W. . . . As I indicated in my previous post . . . if packages that you use are removed in Debian, feel free to build and maintain them for Devuan.  If no one steps up to do that, you're on your own to get them however you want.   Just don't bitch about it here expecting someone else to do it for you.

Board footer