The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-25 16:03:46

rolfie

[Solved] Mate and permissions problem

Just installed on a PC: Jessie cli, upgraded to ASCII, then installed xorg, lightdm and Mate desktop.

Now I have got a few issues with permissions.

1.) As user when I try to shutdown/reboot the PC the user is logged off, I end up in lightdm. The shutdown/reboot icons in lightdm are also dimmed. I have to go through a root terminal.
2.) When I connect a USB stick I get a message in Mate that I am not authorised to mount the stick. When I mount the stick in a root terminal, its also shown on the desktop, looks like I can use it as usual.
3.) Synaptic does not start from the menu. Does in the root terminal.
4.) Have installed gnome-system-tools. I can call up users-admin and display one or the other property, but I have no access to the advanced settings.

One or the other permission must be off. Where do I need to tweak?

Thanks, rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2018-03-26 18:55:11)

#2 2018-03-26 09:30:07

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Mate and permissions problem

Those are common problems. See this -
(dead link removed - see better links below)

#3 2018-03-26 18:54:49

rolfie

Thats it, had the systemd-backend installed. After switching to *-consolekit: all problems fixed.

Thanks, rolfie

Last edited by rolfie (2018-04-30 11:56:59)

#4 2018-08-01 17:13:18

baneth

Sorry for digging up an old&solved thread, but link provided by @fsmithred is dead. And I can't find a proper solution to this.

I have very similar issues with permissions as OP:
1. Restart/Shutdown/Suspend/Hibernate icons are greyed out.
2. wicd an vpn client are not showing in notivication area (notes is visible)
3. synaptic cannot be launched through pkexec
4. / /boot /home /tmp /var and unmounted cd icons appeared in file manager & desktop

I don't have systemd-backend installed. I'm using SLIM and xfce.
Also since ConsoleKit is deprecated is switching to ConsoleKit2 (https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2) a proper solution?
Thanks in advance for any hint.

#5 2018-08-01 17:43:00

golinux
Administrator

baneth wrote:

Sorry for digging up an old&solved thread, but link provided by @fsmithred is dead. And I can't find a proper solution to this.

I have very similar issues with permissions as OP:
1. Restart/Shutdown/Suspend/Hibernate icons are greyed out.
2. wicd an vpn client are not showing in notification area (notes is visible)
3. synaptic cannot be launched through pkexec
4. / /boot /home /tmp /var and unmounted cd icons appeared in file manager & desktop

I don't have systemd-backend installed. I'm using SLIM and xfce.
Also since ConsoleKit is deprecated is switching to ConsoleKit2 (https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2) a proper solution?
Thanks in advance for any hint.

I think this may provide the content of the dead link or at least similar.  SLIM with ASCII should work ootb so not quite why you're having an issue except for synaptic etc for which I have gksu launcher(s).   Also please read the ASCII Release Notes if you haven't already.

#6 2018-08-01 19:00:56

rolfie

An addition to this thread: on a fresh install an a different PC based on the ASCII RC CD, the systemd-backend was not installed, but the consolekit option did not work. I had to switch to the elogind option. Refer to: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2023

All with cli installed from CD, then installed xorg, lightdm and Mate desktop with apt.

Regards, rolfie

#7 2018-08-01 20:20:14

baneth

Thanks golinux.
Post and release notes you've linked cleared things for me - at least in theory.
I don't have elogind packages installed.
But maybe I should mention that quickly before the problem occured I installed passwdqc with required libraries. Purging it didn't make any effect thou. I'm already running synaptic through gksu. This whole problem is present on every user account - either old or fresh.

Running sudo pam-auth-update gives me only 3 options:

[*] Unix authentication
[*] GNOME Keyring Daemon - Login keyring management
[*] Inheritable Capabilities Management 

I have checked all 3.

I don't know if I understand correctly point 5 from linked post:

After making changes to the session management you should either reboot
the system or at least cycle through runlevel 1.

Is removing unwanted backend equal to making changes to session managment? I've already cleared previous sessions, and in Settings Editor -> xfce4-session I can't find anything related to polkit. After reboot there's no effect.

Relevant snippets from .xsessions-error:

dbus-update-activation-environment: systemd --user not found, ignoring --systemd argument
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Permission denied
Usage: dbus-send [--help] [--system | --session | --bus=ADDRESS | --peer=ADDRESS] [--dest=NAME] [--type=TYPE] [--print-reply[=literal]] [--reply-timeout=MSEC] <destination object path> <message name> [contents ...]
dbus-update-activation-environment: systemd --user not found, ignoring --systemd argument
(xfce4-session:3695): xfce4-session-WARNING **: xfsm_manager_load_session: Something wrong with /home/hawk/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-hawk:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?

(xfsettingsd:3719): libupower-glib-WARNING **: Couldn't connect to proxy: Could not connect: Permission denied
(xfsettingsd:3719): libupower-glib-CRITICAL **: up_client_get_lid_is_closed: assertion 'UP_IS_CLIENT (client)' failed
(xfsettingsd:3719): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
(xfsettingsd:3719): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/gtk/wicd-client.py", line 69, in <module>
    from wicd import dbusmanager
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 102, in <module>
    DBUS_MANAGER = DBusManager()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 63, in __init__
    self._bus = dbus.SystemBus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 194, in __new__
    private=private)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 100, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 122, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Permission denied

(xfdesktop:3723): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor is not supported

(xfce4-panel:3718): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor is not supported

(xfce4-session:3695): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Permission denied
(xfce4-session:3695): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_set_visible: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(Thunar:3721): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor is not supported

Board footer