The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-23 07:43:38

aluma

Firefox is becoming too chrome like.

Then again, modern firefox is becoming too chrome like, so maybe.

In my opinion, this is quite natural.

Google really cares about performance, and is not involved in shuffling directories, moving programs to another location, changing the familiar interface, etc. passing it off as a great achievement, examples of which we see in the Linux community.

A week ago I tried to use my Lenovo S205 laptop as a smart set-top box for my TV. Among others, I installed Chrome OS Flex (by default it created 12 partitions on the hard drive smile).

So, its speed and video resolution are one step ahead of all Linux. Alas!

#2 2024-05-24 05:02:47

steve_v

Re: Firefox is becoming too chrome like.

its speed and video resolution are one step ahead of all Linux.

LOL, ChromeOS is Linux... Just with more cloud/CaaS bullshit.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2024-05-24 05:03:17

zapper

@aluma I hope this is sarcasm because Google doesn't care one iota about anything except money.

Their desire is to shred privacy to death. What's left of it anyhow

I assume this is sarcasm though in which case well done.

Just covering my bases though. wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#4 2024-05-24 05:27:33

quickfur

What's left of privacy? You mean there's anything left to begin with?? 😂

#5 2024-05-24 05:55:18

aluma

@zapper
Yes, what sarcasm, more like regret.
Non-stop video in Chrome OS Flex 720p, in Linux without systems - 480p.
The netbook is weak, the difference is clearly noticeable.
Maybe my conclusions are wrong, just check if you want, everything is in the public domain. 
I ended up installing PclinuxOs.

P.S. Devuan is no worse in performance, it’s just that when controlling via a wireless mouse, having a GUI to configure the system is more convenient for me.

Last edited by aluma (2024-05-24 08:26:07)

#6 2024-05-24 15:54:10

delgado

Reminds me on a Raspi 2.
A real slow micro-computer, but it can be used for video playback, if you purchased a license for "video decoding on the graphics hardware" additionally.
Chrome OS may include proprietary firmware with such a feature?

#7 2024-05-24 17:14:09

aluma

I don’t know how true this is; on one of the forums there was an assumption that YouTube is the property of Google and it’s a matter of codecs. Monopolists... smile

#8 2024-05-25 05:57:55

soren

Monopolists...

You mean alphabet inc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabet_Inc.

#9 2024-05-25 07:53:35

aluma

Yeah. Thank you, I'm behind the times. smile

#10 2024-05-28 18:40:06

zapper

@quickfur you can still block ads. that is a form of privacy.

When you can no longer do that, things get real bad!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#11 2024-05-28 19:30:36

quickfur

Blocking ads is just plugging a single hole in a cheesegrater. There are so, so, many other ways in which information about you, your browsing habits, and other such data can be, and are, collected every day.  The moment you stepped online, you've basically already given up privacy.  The only remaining question is the degree to which your privacy will be sacrificed.  That it is non-zero is already indisputable.

#12 2024-05-31 02:21:03

zapper

@quickfur Even with an openwrt based router?

I have one of those, hence my question.

It also uses ath9k wifi card.

I tend to doubt it is already zero.

Aka, there is some privacy left, if you use linux, coreboot, intel me is diabled type situation with ath9k and your OS has no backdoors.

If that's the case you aren't being spied on by default till you go online and if you have openwrt ath9k router,, another layer.

That's my understanding. However if you go on a non-libre website, then yes, your privacy is trashed on that website even with ublock origin and other precautions in web browser

Point being, you have to jump through so many hoops to have basic protections against privacy invasion.

But then at least you aren't being watched on the OS level with all your files revealed to the web.

Though that's still far from perfect.

This being said, better to starve the data collection beasts of what they want as much as possible.

Its best to protest evil deeds like data collection by starving them as much as you can handle

Last edited by zapper (2024-05-31 02:34:14)

Peace Be With us All!

#13 2024-05-31 05:59:25

steve_v

Zapper wrote:

Even with an openwrt based router?

I have one of those, hence my question.

It also uses ath9k wifi card.

Uhh, what on earth does your router OS or wireless chipset have to do with any of this?
If you think a router or firewall is going to do anything useful about the data harvesting that goes on on the modern garbage fire internet, think again.
Blocking advertisements (whether at the router, on the client machine, or in your browser), does exactly what it says on the tin and no more. Ads are indeed a privacy concern, but they're only one of many.

Last edited by steve_v (2024-05-31 06:00:02)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#14 2024-05-31 10:45:20

bilhook

Recent days I've been getting annoyed with browsers as we do, they're about as funny as gonorrhea, except the battle at the end of time will be between gonorrhea and the cockroach and googull won't feature.
So this morning I looked at the situation for about forty-five minutes.
Looking at debian dot org forward slash security, firefox-esr basically features regularly routinely every month, which to me demonstrates some organisation/system, and the security issues are numerous matters.
chromium as we know seems to feature all the fucking time, actually it averages at about two and a half times the time of firefox, and most of the time the matter is memory heap corruption.

I'm using firefox-esr this morning and find the performance about the same as chromium, and using ublock of course.

So I have formed the opinion,
The routine of firefox-esr is impressive.
The regularity of chrome is not.
Many more people use chrome, pc's, smartphones etc., so the bullshit AI automatic data thieving bastards are probably more of a nuisance in chrome.

Try firefox-esr, go to settings and turn ALL that shit off, install webext-ublock-origin-firefox, the performance is the same as chrome which we lazily use.

Now I need to find where the settings are stored, chromium is .config/chromium, which I backup.
And figure out if I can ditch the on mouse over scrollbar.

What numerous thieving have I not mentioned here, e.g. cloud.

Last edited by bilhook (2024-05-31 10:50:29)

#15 2024-05-31 10:52:45

bilhook

Anybody who thinks that privacy is dead is mistaken.
Privacy and freedom are the same thing, and if we do not have freedom, we are not here.

#16 2024-05-31 11:47:12

bilhook

chromium got 27 dependencies, firefox 14, and which are say 'regular' and which are juvenile bells & whistles.
Supposedly it's good luck to have gullgoo drop on you.
Perhaps a clever person could create and copyright the word and make some money.
Also this hijacking (why is PageUp PageDown not working,) of input device is shady.

#17 2024-05-31 11:51:59

bilhook

scrollbar is in settings, pity it's narrow, wastes time.

#18 2024-05-31 11:55:42

bilhook

see if a newer ublock from sid installs

#19 2024-05-31 13:27:53

steve_v

bilhook wrote:

where the settings are stored

about:config, or about:support -> Profile Directory -> Open Directory -> screw about with user.js
Also see arkenfox and the like, for a wide range of tweaks you might want to implement.

Ed.

bilhook wrote:

scrollbar is in settings, pity it's narrow

about:config, play with 'widget.gtk.overlay-scrollbars.enabled', 'layout.css.scrollbar-width-thin.disabled', and 'widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size.override'
I don't recall exactly which get you always-visible scrollbars of a usable size right now, but some combination will.

Last edited by steve_v (2024-05-31 13:39:12)

#20 2024-06-02 08:43:49

bilhook

settings are .mozilla
when you network up, Recommended by Pocket manifests in settings. Super.
It appears to me that when you turn that pocket billiards off, performance is quite superior.

#21 2024-06-02 09:38:15

bilhook

If you've got an Android device, or tried the outstanding Android-x86, I suggest you try Lightning Browser (Mozilla,)
an app I have been using for years, can login to the bank, the lot,
3.2MB (6.3MB installed,) Anthony Restaino acrdevelopment dot org.
Get from apk4fun apkpure dot com.

#22 2024-06-03 17:25:58

zapper

@steve_v I was actually talking about more than just ads in that context. Backdoors for example as well.

Privacy isn't dead but close to it even with every safeguard you put in place possible.

Only libre software
non backdoored hardware computer + router
ath9k wifi card in both.

My goal is more to protest than to get fully privacy. That would be impossible.

I do however think if malicious entities can get into your files on your computer due to a backdoor, etc...

At that point, your privacy is utterly dead.

That is my definition of privacy being dead.

IF they can view all your files on your computer then yes its dead.

Last edited by zapper (2024-06-03 17:30:04)

Peace Be With us All!

#23 2024-06-03 17:52:10

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated . . .

#24 2024-06-03 20:08:21

quickfur

@zapper: how certain are you that they haven't already accessed your files?

The best hackers are not the ones you read about in the news, the ones who are careless enough to leave traces and get caught. The ones you really should be afraid of are the ones who infiltrate your system, copy data off it, and then wipe out all traces of their presence and leave your machine in pristine state, such that you wouldn't even know they had broken in at all.

Have you ever noticed your network interface blinking busily when you're not even using your computer? Do you know where that network traffic is coming from? Do you know which process(es) are triggering this traffic? Are you sure the process isn't compromised? Do you know what exactly is being transmitted? Perhaps your files have already been uploaded to some basement server in Algeria and are right now being auctioned in the black market.

We're not even talking about Kernighan-level of surreptitious compiler compromise yet. Or hardware level backdoors, which are impossible to detect from software, needless to say naked eye inspection which tells you nothing. You say use only open source software, but have you personally reviewed every line of code to ascertain whether there's malicious stuff in it? What if your compiler is already backdoored? Or your hardware?

As long as you're online, there's a non-zero chance that your data is already compromised. The moment you hooked up to the internet, privacy is no longer guaranteed. It's as simple as that.

(Actually, in these days of IoT devices that come built in with WiFi connectors and other phone-home devices, you can't even be sure about privacy anymore even if you didn't personally connect your devices online: they can and do automatically connect themselves. One of my son's stuffed teddy bears came with a built-in Wi-Fi interface that I didn't even know existed until someone managed to download a custom voice clip into it. It's only a small step from this to a toy that contains a hidden microphone and transmitter that uploads your conversations to some unknown server somewhere out there. Still think privacy isn't dead?)

#25 2024-06-03 21:29:22

golinux
Administrator

Dowse has been available in Dyne's offerings since about the time they started the Devuan project. There was a live demonstration at the Conference. It provides a way to turn off those phone home devices:

https://dyne.org/software/dowse/

Question I don't have any phone-home or other devices needing wifi . . . everything is wired. Am I still at risk for wifi messing with my machine(s) if wifi isn't activated on my account or router?

Board footer