The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-10 21:48:22

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

question regarding hyperbola os

does anyone know why hyperbola won't install on air-gapped equipment?
(tried to install but it requires an internet connection just to install?!?!)

after reading:
ttps://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46559#p46559
and visiting:
ttps://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:project:social_contract

and further reading/reviewing of many of the additional links/webpages/philosophy/etc:
(including this installation page)
ttps://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation

perhaps there are air-gapped instructions somewhere that we have missed?

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you

#2 2024-03-10 21:56:22

golinux
Administrator

Re: question regarding hyperbola os

Just curious why you aren't asking the hyperbola folks? Or maybe you are . . .

FYI . . . I am personally starting to get annoyed that you don't post live links so probably won't be looking at many of them . . .

#3 2024-03-11 15:32:39

re: purposefully dropping the "h" in link(s)/URL(s)

if you review these two previous posts:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46316#p46316
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=46353#p46353

you will see that the forum software truncates the complete URL which means that quick screenshots don't acquire the URL properly and so to make sure that the URL is not truncated most people just drop the first "h"

it is much less frustrating to add the "h"(which you always know should be there)
versus
attempting to come up with a correct and complete URL from a truncated screenshot(?)

#4 2024-03-11 15:58:47

aluma

you will see that the forum software truncates the complete URL

I do it differently, I just paste the URL into the Quick reply window, the forum itself adds the url tag to it.

#5 2024-03-11 16:14:06

@aluma, re your reply "I do it differently, I just paste the URL into the Quick reply window, the forum itself adds the url tag to it."

here is a link to one of your recent posts where the URL is truncated and, as such, in a screenshot it is impossible to know what the real complete URL is(hopefully this makes sense and helps to explain more fully what was explained earlier):
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=48767#p48767

nevertheless, thanks for the thoughts and posts!

#6 2024-03-11 16:25:45

aluma

I probably don't understand something.
This is what it looks like for me.
4.png
What kind of truncation are we talking about?
If we talk about the url of the picture itself, it appears when you hover over it and opens the original.

P.S. I can only add, I don’t know about you, but links without the letter h don’t add joy or convenience to me. Completely unnecessary gestures.

Last edited by aluma (2024-03-11 16:37:50)

#7 2024-03-11 17:53:23

golinux
Administrator

My workflow uses R click to C/P urls. If there is no "h" it is not recognized as a link so requires highlighting the text before it will even copy the link to paste and then requires manually adding the missing "h". Interestingly . . . your solution to the truncation has never popped up before in all the years this forum has been running. But one time, I think rrq turned off the live linking because of the abbreviated links but that was quickly reversed. wink

#8 2024-03-11 18:59:52

aluma

ttps://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation
https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation
Is this the truncation we are talking about?
I don’t know, maybe it bothers someone, but it doesn’t bother me, but I’m too lazy to poke the keyboard again. smile

#9 2024-03-11 19:37:21

golinux
Administrator

@aluma . . . Yes. Truncating the "live" link if it is too long is default behavior on this forum. Since I like to see at a quick glance where the links are on the page and maybe have a quick look, I prefer them to stand out with a contrasting "link" color and be instantly clickable.

@stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn . . . I understand your reasons but wonder how many users actually screenshot a post. I don't know that I have ever done that. I have saved posts as text files and then manually corrected links if they are broken.

#10 2024-03-11 20:18:03

rolfie

When the violett URL is clicked on the link is opened, and usually correct. I don't use screenshots to save URLs.

#11 2024-03-11 20:50:33

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Here are some options:

1. e.g. ttps://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation is a h-chopped link

2. e.g. https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation is that unchopped link in plain text

3. e.g. https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id … stallation is that link with simple "url" tag wrapping:

[url]https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation[/url]
  4. e.g. (the link) is that link with "url" wrapping that split acutal link from highlight text:

[url=https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation](the link)[/url]
  5. e.g. https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation is that link likewise split and used as both link and as high-light text after an initial space:

[url=https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation] https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id=en:manual:reference_installation[/url]

(without initial space in the highlight, the forum renderer reduces it to option 3)

I suppose the ordinary poster would use option 2 as it requires little to no thought around the resulting link presentation.

Option 5 is of course "The Correct Way" technically but it's rather fiddly to achieve and somewhat prone to discrepancy between the actual link and its highlight.. And option 5 actually also allows for, say, tracking parameters on the actual link without showing them.

On the other hand the general safety advice would be: Don't follow any link without first copy-paste it into a plain text editor so you can review it and be satisfied about its parts. In that spirit, the h-chopping is ideal.

#12 2024-03-11 21:05:10

golinux
Administrator

Doesn't everybody copy paste before visiting a site? Devuan users shouldn't need the forum to babysit them by making it less visible and more cumbersome to use . . . wink

#13 2024-03-12 07:45:03

aluma

In that spirit, the h-chopping is ideal.

Perhaps for some browsers that I don’t use.

FF, Chromium and Konqueror, when you hover over a shortened link, show it in full in a line at the bottom of the screen.
And saving links as a screenshot is inconvenient, in my opinion. Then you have to type all this Chinese writing by hand.

As a result, there is extra work for the one who deletes h and the one who then opens this link.

#14 2024-03-12 20:25:37

boughtonp
Website

Forums truncating URLs is a common annoying anti-feature.

With the (poorly written) FluxBB software this forum uses, it is hard-coded to occur above 55 characters. (The internal forum links are 53 characters, so do not trigger it.)

The auto-linking functionality can be bypassed by deleting the entire protocol, which means also avoiding the truncating functionality, is less ugly than deleting just one letter, and can be either screenshotted or copy-pasted without issue, and without need to manually add h to the start.

It can be done by holding ctrl whilst tapping del twice - compared to deleting a single letter it's a tiny amount of extra work for the author, and removes the need for readers to add a letter.

(Also, if an unlinked URL is the only thing on a line, it can be quickly selected by triple-clicking.)

3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

#15 2024-03-14 09:17:24

@boughtonp, what was that ctrl_del_del supposed to do exactly? it didn't do anything unless there were lines/words after the cursor, in which case it made two deletions. thanks in advance!

#16 2024-03-14 09:31:15

also as an additional point of reference and/or amusement

visit this forum using lynx(or similar)

further thoughts and/or questions, does a screen-reader(for those who require such) stumble over truncated content?

#17 2024-03-14 17:13:30

chris2be8

I just hover my mouse pointer over chopped URLs and the browser shows the full link on the bottom bar. By now it's a habit.

It also helps on web pages where the link doesn't match the visible text. Eg hover on the name of a poster.

#18 2024-03-15 03:08:43

aluma

Yeah, I already told him earlier in the thread.
Well, I want my colleagues to be different from everyone else, to stand out in some way. Find individuality...
Here common sense does not always come first. smile

Board footer