The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-14 00:18:19

GlennW

wasted $ on multi function keyboard and mouse

Hi, just a heads up, as far as I can find...

I was reminded by a post here, I just went through my /etc/apt/sources-list.d/ and found the useless razer repo there... and deleted it.

I use a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate RZ03-0038 keyboard. It has macro recording for some special keys.

It worked really good in M$win-blows, but is mostly useless with GNU/Linux as far as I have found.

May as well just use software based macro recording. Up to now I haven't bothered to get into that.

I have not found any open-source apps or driver modules that enable macro keys to this date that just works. ( i am not a programmer)

With M$win I had it setup to do multiple keystrokes for gaming. But it was also very useful for programs like Excel and Word, while I was at University.

Just recently my logitech bt mouse failed (the type that comes with it's own usb bt dongle),

So I hunted down a decent replacement, but using my wifi/bt card resources instead of a usb dongle.

I got a logi MX Master 3S, it has multiple scroll wheels (2) scroll latching/smooth button and 3 extra side buttons.

With out hacking it too much, it's mostly useless (VLC has some default settings that switches thing around a bit),

but generally does function as any other simple mouse.

I have solaar, that keeps an eye on the battery level, and some simple adjustments, like resolution.

The BT registration is useless, if I pair it to another OS on this box, it unpairs from the other.

Pain in the butt! I still need a usb mouse on the desk in case I want to try anything else.

It does have 3 different (what I thought were) pairing options with a special button but no info about them in the manual, or online as far as I have found.

I hope this helps someone save some money and brain-power trying to maximise their usage of these somewhat expensive door stops.

Cheers, Regards Glenn

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#2 2024-02-14 09:09:08

aluma

Re: wasted $ on multi function keyboard and mouse

The middle mouse button for pasting the contents of the clipboard is a legacy of Unix, which is how it differed from Win in ancient times.
Later “innovations” are usually commercial products and Linux comes last for them.
I'm afraid of them and I've never had them.  smile

#3 2024-02-14 21:22:06

Altoid

Hello:

GlennW wrote:

... mostly useless with GNU/Linux ...

Happens ...

For Linux users, it is good practice and healthy for their billfold to avoid getting carried away with some apparently novel hardware, especially input hardware.
ie: keyboards/mice/touchpads/cameras

A constant example of this are the 'feature' buttons in some netbooks/laptops that, without the proper divers/modules, are mostly useless.
Even then, after a while the drivers/modules stop being maintained or supported and a kernel upgrade sends their usability down the loo.
An example I have at hand is my trusty ca.2009 Asus 1000HE and its hotkeys once supported in the Linux kernel.

The good practise I refer to above is best exercised before putting down the cash on the countertop.
ie: doing the due diligence and ascertaining that the device in question is Linux compatible and then checking in on-line fora if such claim is indeed true.

Bear in mind that most (if not all) that type of hardware is thought for and destined to MS Windows users, not the likes of us.

That said, after trying a great many known brand keyboards, in both MS and Linux environments, I ended up late in life with one of the first keyboards I ever used: a ca. 1995 IBM Type 'M' keyboard made by Lexmark.

I purchased it second (third/fourth?) hand, absolutely filthy but in good working order and with no missing kcaps.
After a very thorough cleaning plus the mandatory DIN/USB adapter graft it has been happily clicking away on my desk for the last 4 years or so.

It will surely outlast me.

Best,

A.

#4 2024-02-14 21:34:19

golinux
Administrator

I use a generic usb Logitech K120 and  Dell PS/2 Ball Mouse. Nothing fancy but it "just works". Shiny new s*** is just a cash cow targeting gullible folks who fall for the hype . . .

#5 2024-02-14 21:47:51

GlennW

I am guilty as accused, ... But when I got this keyboard I still used windows.

I am considering trying the software in wine...

Not too sure about it, and I reload my OS far to frequently to re-establish hardware through a virtual software interface.

On the other hand, when I ran DiD's F22 off winxp from vBox (virtual Box), Mandriva, I was using the macro keys to shortcut the multi keys required to

turn the radar on, check for targets, aquire targets, select weapons, list & fire when in range, turn off radar. Each confrontation, forgive my memory.

I had a logitech (i think, had a couple over the years) 3 axis 9 button joystick with a shift key, razer oroochi mouse, and this keyboard. It was complex but immersive.

Anyhow, have a great Day.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#6 2024-02-15 00:44:19

golinux
Administrator

GlennW wrote:

I am guilty as accused . . .

Please don't take my observations personally. All too often I see humans, much like the fish chomping on a juicy worm hiding the hook, not getting quite what they bargained for. Over the years I have learned to curb my appetite and found it makes life much less complicated . . .

#7 2024-02-15 08:22:21

aluma

I ended up late in life with one of the first keyboards I ever used: a ca. 1995 IBM Type 'M' keyboard made by Lexmark.

I had one like this with 486.
Wonderful thing, tactile, auditory feedback and all that.
It's a pleasure to type with her.
One drawback is the loud clicking sound. When my youngest son was learning to type touch-type, there was a clunking noise like in a typing bureau...

Even then, after a while the drivers/modules stop being maintained or supported and a kernel upgrade sends their usability down the loo.

This is possible if it was originally a proprietary driver compiled by the manufacturer for one version of the kernel.
While tinkering with assembling the kernel for myself, I became convinced that the latest ones retain all the codes that were once used in the kernel.
Another problem is possible: function keys must be supported by DE. Minimalist ones often suffer from a lack of solid support.

Last edited by aluma (2024-02-15 08:42:07)

#8 2024-02-26 00:52:17

stultumanto

Sometimes you can actually find a way to make those extra keys and buttons work yourself. I have an Alienware 18 laptop with a bunch of extra keys, and I was able to identify the keycodes with evtest. I then created a custom mapping at /etc/udev/hwdb.d/61-custom-keyboard.hwdb file to remap them to useful things, including keys the Alienware didn't include, such as SysRq. It's pretty easy once you get the keycodes. The hardest part is finding a keyboard definition that works, but you can usually manage by copying the definitions from the system files until you find one that works. It helps to use a lot of wildards. Mine looks something like this:

evdev:atkbd:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svn*:pn*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_92=sysrq       # macro key 1
 KEYBOARD_KEY_93=scrolllock  # macro key 2

Note, however, that the keycode assignments must be indented with exactly one space, just as you see above. A tab, or a different number of spaces will not work! Here's everyone's favorite developer addressing this totally sane requirement. wink
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/5677

Board footer