You are not logged in.

#1 2023-07-17 17:35:34

oui

a good and a bad new for the Devuan community

Hi

I have a good and a bad new for the Devuan community:

The DEVUAN DERIVATIVES have now a new and really strong child:

Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce

the last creation from developer Josejp2424. It is not his first Devuan Derivative!!!

I did try to rebuilt an analog base distro without some Puppy.

As Josejp2424 did use the actual version of the Midori browser, I did try to proceed analog.

At https://astian.org/midori-browser/download/ it was possible to download the same package (probably) as Josejp2424 did use himself.

But, the reaction from Devuan to do a better work as usual was

DISAPPOINTING

See yourself:

$ sudo dpkg -i midori-ng_10.0.2_amd64-beta-2.deb
(Reading database ... 70881 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack midori-ng_10.0.2_amd64-beta-2.deb ...
Unpacking midori-ng (10.0.2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive midori-ng_10.0.2_amd64-beta-2.deb (--install):
corrupted filesystem tarfile in package archive: unsupported PAX tar header type 'x'
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
midori-ng_10.0.2_amd64-beta-2.deb

Remember!

Developers in the world spend the only one good you can not refound in the world, that is " time", to develop for free and open (source or more) and

because Firefox did BLOCK the community of Linux, they can't bring her work to the user because the actual methods are not supported by Linux!

After that, they have a familly, exact as you! They begin to act as a COMPANY and the Linux World doing all for FIREFOX and its business say: «Look, that software is not free: it' s comming from a COMPANY! Do nothing with it!»

I know the Midori browser probably more than 10 years. The only one really cooperative Linux is

SliTaz, the distro without some actual dependence from other distros, with ISOs about only 50 .. 60 MB! Midori did always do it' s job properly but will treated from Linux as a renegate!

How is really the renegate building compromisses with Mozilla' s and Co.? Linux itself?

#2 2023-07-17 17:53:01

golinux
Administrator

Re: a good and a bad new for the Devuan community

Please take your rant upstream to Debian. We are Debian without systemd. Period.

Or . . . here's a thought . . . create what you envision yourself and gift it to the world!

#3 2023-07-18 20:58:28

oui

Hi Golinux,

I understand that you are desappointed by my critical messages.The authority at Linux drapes itself in the toga of the supreme decisions of Debian but in the Roman provinces, one does not hesitate to attract customers with derivatives who would have no chance at Debian (who had not even had supported attempts to formalize Debian Live!):
- super small live versions like Star linux and other
- new user friendly technology at Refracta Linux
- GNU "close"versions
etc.

And I did exactly react and answer to THAT branch of Devuan. I am here in Index > DEVUAN DERIVATIVES , not in the main section. Do you understand the difference?

#4 2023-07-18 21:15:44

golinux
Administrator

The folks at Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce are welcome to post to our derivatives section and interact with Devuan users. If it is well-received, it will be added to the official derivatives list. We do appreciate your letting us know about Devuanpup but someone actually working on the project should be talking directly to us if they want that to happen.

I try my best to understand what you are trying to communicate but it is not easy so apologies for any misunderstanding. I have probably missed the mark again with this post.  Sigh . . .

#5 2023-07-18 21:23:08

oui

my problem is actually, as the Debian world is not only the world of Debian only any more, Debian was very proud and satisfied as Ubuntu did begin to build is secondary impire on Debian stuff and Debian packaging system (and not RedHat or, at this time was Arch not in the actual position, Arch, or Slackware, S|lazkware was at this time in a comparable position like Arch today)!

This did create a dependency from the future actions from Ubuntu and you know that.

The bad new I did bring here yesterday is, that the Debian branch of the actual Debian world will ignore the new trends marked by Ubuntu and follower even where these two do it for the work of pawnboo with brave developers like those of Midori Browser (Google trad from #même là où ces deux la font du travail de pionier avec de courageux dévelopeurs comme ceux de Midori browser#).

I MYSELF did not create the problem or incident: it is in Linux itself very deep:

The cause is that Linux did clon Unix and win for all the freedom to make each Linux better in itself and that tyranic committees (for ex. at Debian and at Arch, and, I hoppe, not at Devuan, but who is knowing really that...) don't agree any more to support the consequences. Actually, Linux shrinks! Only ONE unique really supported browser. In KDE itself since years no other browser is default installation, in the linux version with the old embedded Konqueror! What kind of conquete it is really... All tentatives to restart own KDE browsers, they were legion'S ... nothing more. KDE did make dead by Linux itself and one of the major rease was

firefox ;-) !

You install KDE and get firefox, one libre/free/open office, but not one KDE office. You get some non KDE video and can be happy if the editor is yet Kate in the praxis!

And the major reason is

firefox

because each "hit" in a browser can bring money!

#6 2023-07-18 21:33:17

oui

golinux wrote:

The folks at Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce are welcome to post to our derivatives section and interact with Devuan users. If it is well-received, it will be added to the official derivatives list. We do appreciate your letting us know about Devuanpup but someone actually working on the project should be talking directly to us if they want that to happen.

I try my best to understand what you are trying to communicate but it is not easy so apologies for any misunderstanding. I have probably missed the mark again with this post.  Sigh . . .

Thank you very much (I was myself writing my precedent message and would have written it differently; but as the matter I describe is true and it would be better don't to occult it, I will not erase it (or rewrite! Write in English is so or so a major problem for me, as I did never learn English but French my mother tongue, German my family tongue, and Latin, classic Greek and Russian! As I understand some parts of spoken Mandarin Chinese, my Chinese niece can it not because she did learn Cantonese and later English in England :-)) , I find steril to do more on that field...)

Thank you for that friendly and constructive approach of discussion.

Perhaps will we get next a new browser alternative so actual as Midori 10 also in Devuan? (Man can not say "no development": That is a really new version!)

#7 2023-08-14 22:26:52

zapper

golinux wrote:

Please take your rant upstream to Debian. We are Debian without systemd. Period.

Or . . . here's a thought . . . create what you envision yourself and gift it to the world!

This is disheartening... oui has a point about firefox. Although, midori isn't too much better no matter which midori oui is talking about.

Then again, I don't know what the message was like before oui changed it.

So... idk.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#8 2023-08-14 22:31:20

zapper

oui, you mentioned the problem being deep in linux, you are absolutely correct.  The more bloated linux frameworks that beome a standard, like a forced one, such as dbus, avahi, systemd, pulseaudio, pipewire, etc... the more problematic things get.

Yes a few of these can be ditched more easily, but their libraries are still hell to get rid of. So... yeah, not so simple if you realize that.

Devuan being a systemd free debian fork, is in my opinion not enough. But I usually don't use devuan, so its no huge issue. Nor is it their responsibility anyhow.  Its more of the fact that over time, this will allow a mess to be created bigger over time.

Eventually, things  get :s for some users including developers as well.

Last edited by zapper (2023-08-14 22:32:08)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer