The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-04-07 17:58:35

JWM-Kit
Website

Re: AI on mainstream media

golinux wrote:

. . . How do you even come across this sort of nonsense?  . . .

I know it was a rhetorical question, but I think I'll answer it.

People find this video the same way people keep watching a TV show way past it's prime. It used to be good, but now it's crap.
You see, Fran's channel started out as a very informative channel. She'd cover some semi-technical things like cleaning vinyl records, simple circuit design, and the basics of relays and vacuum tubes, .  Nothings to technical so it was easy to follow.  Recently she's started address modern "issues" in videos and my opinion seems to align with golinux in that they tend to be incoherent ramblings. The videos leave the viewer unclear of her message or what is even her thoughts and opinions are on the subject.   It's a shame because you would think a technical minded person would be able to express themselves better. Hopefully she will either abandon these change and revert to her old style or figure out what she's doing wrong.

#27 2023-04-07 18:02:54

yeti

It does fit the thread topic "AI on mainstream media".
So I see no wrong-doing in mentioning that one.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#28 2023-04-07 18:18:36

yeti

Another YTer with a lot of reach...

Two Minute Papers
    OpenAI’s GPT-4 Just Got Supercharged!
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=Fjh1kwOzr7c

...an AI fan for a long time already.  A while ago OpenAI really looked cute in his clips:

Two Minute Papers
    OpenAI Plays Hide and Seek…and Breaks The Game! πŸ€–
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=Lu56xVlZ40M

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#29 2023-04-07 18:46:33

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:

It does fit the thread topic "AI on mainstream media".
So I see no wrong-doing in mentioning that one.

I did not question your posting it or its appropriateness. I questioned the content.  wink

#30 2023-04-07 18:51:43

golinux
Administrator

JWM-Kit wrote:
golinux wrote:

. . . How do you even come across this sort of nonsense?  . . .

People find this video the same way people keep watching a TV show way past it's prime.

This explains a lot. I am only vaguely aware of "media channels" like that unless something came up in a search and have never subscribed to one. Don't those folks have something better to do with their life? What a waste of time . . .

#31 2023-04-14 23:28:03

yeti

Hello Dodo, here we come!

DW News | DW Business Special
    Emergency stop for AI: Six months to save humanity?
    Interview with Max Tegmark
    https://invidious.sethforprivacy.com/wa … wvpaXOQJoU

#32 2023-04-15 02:00:18

golinux
Administrator

Thanks, yeti. We are so screwed. Humans just don't know any other way. The only "escape" from the madness is to view the entire contaminated mess with detachment and let it go . . . and I'm not just talking about AI . . .

#33 2023-04-15 06:23:09

yeti

Maybe that's just evolution on the species level.  Every species that overuses the resources will fail sooner or later.  I'm fairly convinced that after us crows, dolphins or octopuses that don't manage their greed in technology-overdrive-mode better than we, would run into the same trap.  And AI will too.  Their hunger for power is immense and their DNA is chiselled using even much rarer elements than ours.

Happy experimenting, Universe!

Last edited by yeti (2023-04-15 09:22:48)

#34 2023-04-15 16:40:38

golinux
Administrator

@yeti . . . The discussions I've read/listened to so far worry about how to control machines. Problem is that they are created with all the flaws of their human creators. We want to enslave the machine to do only good things for us like obedient slaves. How can we expect the machine to do that when we cannot do that ourselves? The machine will only mirror and magnify all our human flaws. Until we rid ourselves of our own greed, hatred and delusion everything we touch will be tainted with the same. The hubris and folly of imaging otherwise is stunning . . .

#35 2023-04-15 16:55:42

yeti

Sure!  Seen as tool, AI just amplifies what we do like all the other technology, so our good and our bad sides.  But it shall evolve to think on it's own.  Then it'll be more like an alien and/or invasive species that becomes a competitor for resources.

#36 2023-04-15 17:23:57

golinux
Administrator

Would human extinction be a bad thing considering the mess we've made of things?

#37 2023-04-15 18:16:12

yeti

What would be won?  I think most of the next species with technology would run into the same trap.  So they'll just iterate making a mess too.  Even AI, unless it is a hive mind.  Which will have some problems with the universal speed limit of causality.  It either would need to slow down with increasing size or split into separate individuals.  With all the consequences of limited resources and competition.  Back to start, then via mess to extinction.  That'll just be the next groundhog day for the universe...

What a waste.  ;-D

#38 2023-04-15 18:26:40

golinux
Administrator

Exactly. That is the conundrum of all sentient species and yes, from the earthworms burrowing in the ground to oppressive dictators the task is the same.

#39 2023-04-16 02:49:09

prospero

Since we are talking about a vastly more powerful form of intelligence than what humans ever dreamed of, how can we predict its behavior? It seems that the very reason why we fear it - because we project our own behavior into that massive brain power - also implies that we cannot really predict its behavior. Maybe AI is already eating silicon popcorn while watching the human soap opera live.

yeti wrote:

That'll just be the next groundhog day for the universe...

I see no reason to worry about the universe. This is a highly local phenomenon after all, compared to the scale of the universe. At the human scale, though, this is indeed possibly going to be fast forward crash course into evolution. But maybe not. I believe we should let go: either resistance is futile, or there is nothing to resist. One does not simply resist evolution.

#40 2023-04-16 03:33:45

golinux
Administrator

prospero wrote:

I believe we should let go: either resistance is futile, or there is nothing to resist. One does not simply resist evolution.

Some good advice in there. We only have control of our own mind. We can either stress out or skillfully ride the waves with detachment.

#41 2023-04-16 04:04:12

yeti

Ignorance is bliss?

The sun will burn earth.
I think about that too.
Without panicking.

Last edited by yeti (2023-04-16 04:05:47)

#42 2023-04-19 08:38:12

yeti

;-)

DW News
    Artist wins photo award with AI generated image, sparking debate
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=Pv1HUd8rsG4

#43 2023-04-19 14:46:24

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:

Ignorance is bliss?

The sun will burn earth.
I think about that too.
Without panicking.

Not quite. Wisdom is liberating! 'Tis all in the mind and we are writing the script moment to moment . . .

#44 2023-04-19 16:05:23

yeti

Sometimes I don't even understand what these smarties want to say:

Dr Brian Keating
    Don't FEAR Artificial Intelligence! Here's Why
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=3Z_0cw1SC4I

AI does not know happiness, so don't fear it?

#45 2023-04-20 05:50:20

swanson

Very interesting thread! I'm nobody from the middle of nowhere, but I'm following this.

Aside from the possible dangers of AI in itself, isn't it also about the trust of the companies and organisations developing it? I don't trust them at all. I think they're a bunch of 25-year olds without connection to reality. Without life experience. They went straight thru school and got their Ph. D. They got the worlds best education but they are still narrow minded. They've got horse blinders on and can't see the whole picture.

Just because you can do a thing, should you do it? My doubts are that they can not handle the morals and ethics of it.

My 2 cents..

#46 2023-04-22 07:11:53

yeti

...from [Robert Miles] (2015):

Computerphile
    Why Asimov's Laws of Robotics Don't Work
    https://y.com.sb/watch?v=7PKx3kS7f4A

"We need to slow down." / "This is moving too fast."

DW News
    AI Experts Discuss Pausing AI Development
    https://y.com.sb/watch?v=W_Nv5MCRPCk

#47 2023-04-23 16:55:15

yeti

Is that the way to get AI distracted from turning into Skynet?

Two Minute Papers
    25 ChatGPT AIs Play a Video Game!
    https://invidious.sethforprivacy.com/wa … fGcWGaO1E4

...but how many mega-watts does this demo burn?

#48 2023-04-23 19:40:01

golinux
Administrator

@yeti . . . Please explain to me how your most recent posts quality as "mainstream" media? It's interesting but not quite the conversation I was expecting . . .

#49 2023-04-23 20:28:30

yeti

Computerphile and Two-Minute-Papers sure have a lot of reach and DW is a German broadcast.

But I'll give you some holidays and wave goodbye in this thread now.   _o/"

#50 2023-04-23 21:29:38

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:

Computerphile and Two-Minute-Papers sure have a lot of reach

Their weirdness has never reached me.

yeti wrote:

and DW is a German broadcast.

I used to watch them on PBS until they added a scrolling banner "feature" at the bottom of the screen. Byebye . . .

yeti wrote:

But I'll give you some holidays and wave goodbye in this thread now.   _o/"

Huh? Why?

Board footer