The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-11 21:27:02

steve_v

On acsii, plasma and the power button.

I like this Devuan thing, but it seems I've tried and failed to like any of the desktops that work properly with it.
KDE/Plasma runs, which is slightly surprising, but I've yet to convince it (or sddm for that matter) to do anything related to poweroff / reboot /suspend / hibernate.
It'll kill the session and that's about it. Having to switch to a VT and log is as root just to turn the machine off is a little lame in this day and age...
This is less lame than having to use some gnome derivative instead, but still pretty annoying.

I'm not (yet) familiar with the changes in Devuan, is plasma's power management functionality completely broken sans systemd or am I just doing it wrong?
Everything else appears to work, and the various blah-kits are doing their thing, at least as far as I can tell. There's some other layer between plasma and console-kit / upower etc. yeah?

Anyone had better luck here?

Off topic, what's the plan for the release cycle after stretch / ascii? Aiming for parallel with debian's stable releases or one behind? I'm guessing the former, as I hear rumors of tracking testing as well...

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#2 2018-02-02 23:27:28

MiyoLinux

Re: On acsii, plasma and the power button.

When I was using Plasma on Ascii, I installed lightdm instead of sddm. At that time (SEVERAL months ago), all of the shutdown options were working. I vaguely remember trying sddm, and was also experiencing problems...that's why I went with lightdm. Also, I built it from a netinstall and the base system. You can see what I did here... https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=5378#p5378

I eventually had to replace Plasma, because it was running one of my CPUs at 100% all of the time. Again, that was months ago, so I can't speak for how things are now.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-02-02 23:27:57)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-02-02 23:34:39

golinux
Administrator

@Miyo . . . steve_v has long since left the building.  But he did test after I asked him to see if elogind fixed things and he said:

Yes, power management in KDE now works, if eudev & elogind are installed.

#4 2018-02-02 23:36:06

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

@Miyo . . . steve_v has long since left the building.  But he did test after I asked him to see if elogind fixed things and he said:

Yes, power management in KDE now works, if eudev & elogind are installed.

Ahhh...okay. Hey...I might give it another go too then! tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#5 2018-02-05 05:05:09

steve_v

golinux wrote:

steve_v has long since left the building.

steve_v is waiting for a Devuan release that isn't 2+ years behind Debian, and he still gets mail alerts.
Meanwhile, he's running a systemd-free rolling release, one with a modern desktop that works properly now.

He's running Devuan on servers though, where appallingly ancient software isn't such a problem.

Last edited by steve_v (2018-02-05 05:05:39)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#6 2018-04-04 10:11:23

penguinwrangler

At the risk of resurrecting an old thread...  I'm running SDDM + KDE 5 under ASCII on a Dell 6220 laptop.  It all works nicely apart from shutdown and reboot actions from KDE's menu.  These just drop me back to SDDM.  The reboot and shutdown icons at the top right of SDDM work as expected.  From within KDE, if I issue "sudo poweroff" or "sudo reboot" from Konsole, both work as expected. 

I have had to add the option "reboot=pci" to the Linux command line in grub, otherwise reboots or shutdowns hang the machine after kernel exits, but I wouldn't expect that to affect this.  It seems more like KDE is always doing a "logout" rather than a "reboot" or "shutdown", since SDDM works correctly.

I've checked and I have both eudev and elogind installed... but I don't know how to check if they are working correctly. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

#7 2018-04-04 11:31:33

fsmithred
Administrator

You might need to replace sddm with lightdm. Also, make sure you have the right libpolkit packages installed.
See (removed dead link)

Here's what was in the dead link.

Author: Irrwahn
Date: 2018-02-14 07:37 -500
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] IMPORTANT! How to fix degraded session management after Devuan ASCII upgrade.

PLEASE NOTE:
The following only applies to already existing ASCII systems that got
upgraded to the newest package versions as present in the repositories.
Fresh installations of Devuan ASCII 2.0.0 Beta should not be affected.

TL;DR
-----
Make sure you got the correct libpolkit-backend installed!

Background
----------
It would appear that under certain circumstances an unsuitable flavor
of libpolkit-backend-1-0-XXXX gets pulled in upon upgrade. This can lead
to a temporary loss of desktop session related functionality, namely the
ability to user-mount removable drives or to shutdown/restart the system
using the GUI controls provided by the respective desktop environment. The
issue was ultimately caused by the recent addition of elogind to the
repositories, or rather the repackaging of policykit-1 that followed suit.

Resolution
----------
1. Make sure you have at least one of (traditional) consolekit or (new)
elogind installed. (Note: You can have both installed and active; which
one is actually used however is decided by which libpolkit-backend you
choose to install, see 4.)

2. Make sure (at least one of) the above is activated. You may do so by
interactively running the 'pam-auth-update' command as root.

3. Ensure the following packages got installed:
     policykit-1              0.105-18+devuan2.4
     libpolkit-agent-1-0      0.105-18+devuan2.4

4. Install one of the mutually exclusive policykit backend libs, i.e.
   - EITHER -
     libpolkit-backend-1-0-elogind      0.105-18+devuan2.4  and
     libpolkit-gobject-1-0-elogind      0.105-18+devuan2.4

- OR -
     libpolkit-backend-1-0-consolekit   0.105-18+devuan2.4  and
     libpolkit-gobject-1-0-consolekit   0.105-18+devuan2.4

depending on which session manager backend you intend to use, see 1.

In case you find you have a backend with -systemd in the name installed:
that one will _not_ work, and is most likely the cause why things went
sideways in the first place.

5. After making changes to the session management you should either reboot
the system or at least cycle through runlevel 1.

Note: Depending on what login manager you use in conjunction with which
desktop environment you might have to experiment a bit to find out which
of consolekit or elogind works best for you (or works[TM] at all).

Bottom line: As always in life, keep your backends covered. ;-)

HTH, HANVD, and enjoy the ASCII Beta!

Best regards
Urban

#8 2018-04-04 11:46:49

penguinwrangler

Hi fsmithred, thanks for your quick response.  The issue was the libpolkit. 

The laptop got a new HDD and a clean install of Devuan Jessie yesterday, then upgraded to Ascii but somehow it had pulled in the -systemd variants.  I followed the instructions in the lurker link you provided and replaced them with -elogind variants.  Now logout, reboot, shutdown from the KDE menu all work as expected.

I still have SDDM as the login manager...

Again, thanks for the quick response.  :-)

#9 2018-07-08 05:04:44

scutterflux

Hi, I'd like to share my experience and solution, I had great difficulties with SDDM power buttons.  I tried all the solutions above, goofed around with sddm.conf files, grub files, etc... I thought I'd try lightdm and even had difficulty with lightdm not working with elogind but it did work with consolekit.

Anyway If you want to keep SDDM and elogind try

apt install openrc

I think the parallel loading of openrc solved any init order issues that may be causing the problem.

#10 2018-07-08 11:33:52

Panopticon

In regards to scutterflux info on openrc, i can confirm that sddm works via xdm service file. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SDDM

Service
OpenRC

Set SDDM as the default display manager:
FILE /etc/conf.d/xdm

DISPLAYMANAGER="sddm"

To start SDDM on boot, add xdm to the default runlevel:
Note
The dbus service gets pulled in dynamically.
root #rc-update add xdm default

To start SDDM now:
root #/etc/init.d/xdm start

After logging in to the X session via sddm, it is a good idea to verify that ConsoleKit is working as intended. By typing ck-list-sessions all active sessions can be listed. The list should include your session, typically running on x11-display-device = '/dev/tty7'. This session should also read active = TRUE. Active being FALSE indicates an issue [1][2]. 

Board footer