The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-10 19:36:44

devuan_dk_fan

Installing Musescore 2.1 AppImage on Miyo i3 Jessie 64bit.

Devuan is fantastic. kudos to the team behind it!

Normally, running sudo ./Musescore 2.1 AppImage install (or whatever the file is called) will install a working version of the program on my system. I tried this with a Miyo i3 Jessie 64bit (Devuan based) system and while everything appears to have gone to the correct place, the program doesn't seem to work, no matter how I try to run it (menu, comman, clicking on the executable image (yes, I ran chmod +x on it). Don't AppImages work on Devuan or is there something with the way this program has been packaged that makes it incompatible with Devuan based systems (systemd dependence)?

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
I’ve had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn’t it. - Groucho Marx

#2 2018-01-10 20:16:01

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Installing Musescore 2.1 AppImage on Miyo i3 Jessie 64bit.

I just tried Subsurface, and it works in Refracta jessie (Devuan) and also works when I boot miyolinux-64bit-20161217.iso in virtualbox. I did not run any commands except chmod to make it executable, and then ./Subsurface-<version>.Appimage. A couple of popup windows asked me some questions. I declined to install it, and then the app opened.

So I guess the answer is yes, appimages can work on devuan. I don't know if that means they'll all work. What did you try?

#3 2018-01-10 22:35:07

devuan_dk_fan

OK, I tried Subsurface and it runs in place, but refuses to install to all users sudo ./Musescore 2.1 AppImage install. This seems to suggest that there is something with Musescore that refuses to work. I know that it has QT dependencies when it is installed as a .deb file. I will try to find an answer on their forum and post the reply here.

#4 2018-01-10 23:03:29

devuan_dk_fan

$ ./MuseScore-2.1-x86_64.AppImage
/tmp/.mount_lNQqEe/bin/mscore-portable: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisfile.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

OK, so the reason is that it is lacking a bunch of dependencies like vorbis-tools, libsound files, pulse audio, etc. It looks like it probably best if I choose a less minimalist Devuan derivative. Anyway, thanks for your time.

#5 2018-01-11 08:22:50

devuan_dk_fan

This brings up the issue of Flatpaks as an alternative to AppImages. Is it possible to use Flatpaks and ensure that systemd stays off my system?

#6 2018-01-11 09:01:25

golinux
Administrator

devuan_dk_fan wrote:

This brings up the issue of Flatpaks as an alternative to AppImages. Is it possible to use Flatpaks and ensure that systemd stays off my system?

A two minute search found this:

Is Flatpak tied to systemd?
No. Versions of flatpak before 0.6.10 relied on systemd for cgroups setup, but this is no longer required.]

However, this is not so encouraging - guilty by association:

Its lead developer is Alex Larsson, Principal Engineer at Red Hat.

#7 2018-01-11 09:35:11

devuan_dk_fan

golinux wrote:

A two minute search found this:

Is Flatpak tied to systemd?
No. Versions of flatpak before 0.6.10 relied on systemd for cgroups setup, but this is no longer required.]

This I knew. While Flatpak isn't tied to systemd, that doesn't mean that it in principle couldn't be pulled in as a depend for the individual flatpak. I am unsure as how deep the depends for the individual flatpak are pulled in, when one can assume that many programs are coded to "take advantage of" systemd. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited by devuan_dk_fan (2018-01-11 09:35:37)

Board footer