You are not logged in.
Well, due to its licence VBox isn't in the Debian/Devuan repos any more, it was in contrib. Only residues do exist, no complete installation packages. Anyhow, the maintainers did split it up into a series of packages which had to be installed one by one.
And if it was in the repos its an outdated version, happend to me too often, thats why I only use the deb directly from virtualbox.org which I can update if I need to.
Example for outdated versions: currently in Mint 22 where they still have 7.0.16 in the repo which does not work with any 7.x kernel. Lots of threads in the forums.
You download the deb file from virtualbox.org, they offer debs for Debian 11, 12 and 13. For Excalibur the 13 version works fine. And everything in one package.
On some DE you simply double click on the deb which starts the installation. My routine is to move it to /tmp and use dpkg -i *.deb in there.
1.1 Install the VirtualBox Extension Package
sudo virtualbox
(GoTo > Extensions > Install)
No need to start VBox as root. Just double-click on the downloaded Extension Pack. You will be asked for the root-PW.
2.1 re-configure virtualbox
sudo rcvboxdrv setup
sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
now in terminal there should be no more error when evoking "virtualbox;
The rcvboxdrv is only required within Linux guest to (re-)generate the guest modules for the guest additions.
enable external USB-devices functionality
I never needed anything like your script to have access to USB devices from the host and to pass them through to the guest (I use VBox since Squeeze). But: I am not using this run-version, I insist on using the deb. That works fine for me.
with AMD you will most likely not be able to launch virtualmachine since there is conflict with kvm module?
No problem any more. I am currently running VBox 7.2.12 on Excalibur with kernel 6.12.x on an ASUS Prime X570 with AMD Ryzen9 and AMD graphics. There is no problem with this KVM stuff. That started to be a problem when using backported kernels between I think 6.13 and 6.17. Backports is on 7.1.x now, its fixed there.
That download link is perfecty ok.
This is the old GB vs GiB problem.
It might well be easier to backup all relevant data and to re-install the system. I assume no Timeshift snapshots are available?
You better should have asked for support here in the forum.
when the permissions issue is solved, open up a new thread with whats up about VBox 7.2.
I did not experienced such kind of problems with Excalibur (while testing) and was surprised.
It very much depends on when you start with testing and how close they are to the release.
I had to believe that Devuan's repo is a mirror of Debian's repo with some mods. They don't have such problems usually and there are many distributions based on testing.
Wrong, Debian is the originator of most hickups. Read their bug reports. It happens very often that packages are dropped from testing due to whatever reason, and bug fixes first of all can be found in sid before they are released to testing.
BTW: you can easily tell if the package is modified or original Debian. Examples from my Excalibur:
linux-image-6.12.111+deb13-amd64 (6.12.111-1) => Debian package
xserver-xorg-legacy (2:21.1.16-1.3+deb13u3devuan1 => 2:21.1.16-1.3+deb13u4devuan1) => package modifed by Devuan
Banned packages see list of banned packages. There are also generic packages.
Yes, there are gaps in the applications. Except for the forked ones, what isn't availablein Forky can't be available in Freia.
Created a test file in my documents folder which is basically static data.
~$ LC_ALL=C gio trash /home/rolf/Dokumente/Test.txt
gio: file:///home/rolf/Dokumente/Test.txt: Unable to find or create trash directory /mnt/HomeDaten/.Trash-1000 to trash /home/rolf/Dokumente/Test.txtA .Trash-1000 did not exist, copying the one from my dynamic home did not help.
In a small private network it may be advisable to configure ssh to a non-standard port. E.g instead of 22 use 1223.
On my manually pulled up Excalibur with Cinnmon DE packagekit isn't installed (--no-install-recommends used).
Follow up, I haven't gotten any useful hint so far.
@Dutch_Master: thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately, all my drives are luks encrypted, no exception. That means that in operation they are decrypted, normal ext4 partitions.
Use the installer-iso path to get to the options with the traditional installer. I typically use the netinstaller.
Look at the top of this page, there is a link to "Download | Devuan.org | .... ".
Thanks, that did work.
On my travelling laptop openrc is installed as init system. I would like to replace it by pure sysvinit (same setup as my main system). When I look at what Synaptic shows installation does not seem to replace openrc.
What do I need to do?
The laptop was installed with Daedalus and upgraded to Excalibur.
Well, I would say 013 is more than 04.
I started off with Mate desktop on ASCII and switched to Cinnamon on Beowulf which I am still using.
Testing the 20260903 iso at first glance shows no new topics. logrotate is present.
Well, I do create my own starter in the menu. No problem with that.
mate-system-log is part of mate-utils. gnome-logs nowadays is meant only for systemd systems.
Is there anybody who has other solutions to display log files?
Is my second test in a VBox VM. My setup: German language, keyboard, timezone, expert install to cli with sysvinit, luks encrypted. Manual installation of Cinnamon DE on X11 w/o recommends to reduce the usual bloat and to get a system with that sw I like and need. I am using my notes so the result is mostly reproduceable.
Installer: no comments
German language in DE wasn't set: fixed.
Time zone not set: problem still present. There is a discussion ongoing on github LinuxMint/Cinnamon #13922. Fixed locally by installing ntpsec.
Call up of several graphical applications on the DE only worked once (bug #972): solved by adding accountservices to cinnamon as a dependency (upstream).
syslog-ng installed now, solves bug #973. I have to have a look at logrotate on the next ISO.
So far so good, no further comments.
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your work.
Used the same iso for my text in a VBox VM. Was my second go, in an earlier iso from end of June no logger was installed.
What the performance concerns: Nothing that caugth my eye in this short test. It works with mate-system-log as displayer.
... however all based on gnome (that would be gnome 4, gnome-flashback and cinnamon) ...
The fork of Cinnamon from Gnome is way back. Some apps are the same like gnome-terminal, but I would see them as two different beasts nowadays. BTW: I am Cinnamon user on my desktop, and on xorg. I have tried xlibre in a VM, but was not really successful.
With a bit of luck the patched upgrade will go into Trixie-Backports.
I fear you are in the wrong place here, this is a native Debian package. Can be seen on this +deb13u1.
You should ask the Debian maintainers to update this package.