The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-12 02:00:08

Llewellen

Enlightenment & Falkon

Enlightenment 22.1-3 and Falkon 3.0.0-1 are daily drivers for me.  They're in the Debian-testing repo but I don't see them in the Devuan ASCII repo.

Is there a safe-reliable-recommended way to install them in ASCII ?  Thanks.

It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

#2 2018-06-12 02:42:38

golinux
Administrator

Re: Enlightenment & Falkon

Have you checked ASCII backports?  Maybe you could package it yourself if all else fails.  At least they aren't on the list of banned packages so that's a good start.

#3 2018-06-12 02:52:41

Llewellen

golinux wrote:

Have you checked ASCII backports?  Maybe you could package it yourself if all else fails.  At least they aren't on the list of banned packages so that's a good start.

No, but I don't see backports on the devuan site.  Is it at gitlab?

It is not that I am mad; it's only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope

#4 2018-06-12 02:59:00

golinux
Administrator

Backports is an optional repository that builds testing pkgs for stable.  Add it to your sources.list.   But be selective and only install the pkgs that you need, not everything that's available in there.

https://devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list

#5 2018-06-12 03:11:10

Llewellen

golinux wrote:

Backports is an optional repository that builds testing pkgs for stable.  Add it to your sources.list.   But be selective and only install the pkgs that you need, not everything that's available in there.

https://devuan.org/os/etc/apt/sources.list

Both packages that I want are in both Beowolf and Ceres repos.  So, should I enable <backports> or <proposed> in my sources list (on a case by case basis)?

#6 2018-06-12 03:24:29

golinux
Administrator

Start with backports and work your way further from ASCII. Be prepared that it may or may not go smoothly.   Not much has been done on beowulf yet.

#7 2018-06-12 03:35:18

Llewellen

golinux wrote:

Start with backports and work your way further from ASCII. Be prepared that it may or may not go smoothly.   Not much has been done on beowulf yet.

Thanks for the help (and the caution smile  I'm just using this in my home system, not in any production environment.  I use two laptops, one as a sort of sandbox to try things out, learn and iron out wrinkles, and the other as my main system.  I'm a non-programmer, non-developer hobbyist.

FYI my OS journey in the last two years has been Win10>Mint>Manjaro>Debian>Devuan (tryout).  There's a philosophical thread there but that's a discussion for another time and forum.

#8 2018-06-12 13:14:26

ivanovnegro

Maybe this can help:

https://www.falkon.org/download/

There exists an AppImage and even a flatpak.

#9 2018-06-12 15:00:10

golinux
Administrator

Why anyone would recommend appimage, flatpak or snaps is beyond me.  It's a great way to bloat your system.  And is there any way to know what exactly is in those options of convenience?

Even on the Falkon page, the first recommendation is to "install falkon package from your distribution’s repositories".

#10 2018-06-13 15:03:33

ivanovnegro

I do not use it personally but it is another choice the user gets. Nothing more. Why are people always so easily offended is beyond me.

#11 2018-06-13 15:12:32

Llewellen

ivanovnegro wrote:

I do not use it personally but it is another choice the user gets. Nothing more. Why are people always so easily offended is beyond me.

I don't use any of those services, for the reasons given by golinux and other reasons that aren't relevant here.  But I agree with you that choice is choice - let each person decide what works for them.

When using these forums (and emails) it is so difficult to convey subtleties and inflections and so easy for actual meaning and tone to be misunderstood.  Very recently I received a wave of vitriolic replies and name calling in response to a simple, non-confrontational question I posted on one of the Debian forums.  Apparently, I struck an exposed nerve that I didn't realize existed.  I am now reluctant to go back to that forum.

Last edited by Llewellen (2018-06-13 15:17:49)

Board footer