The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-21 09:40:03

hurricane

Considering migration from a different distribution.

Hi all.

I'm a long term user of Linux.  Broadly, on the last 22 years I did Slackware, Red-Hat, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro-OpenRC and now Artix.

Alas, Artix has some minor issues that makes me consider switching to Devuan.  I already switched my professional machine to Devuan but was a straightforward installation meant to be stable (I only needed the LLVM repositories for the compilers)
Plus several of the software I use exists as a Debian package.

Now I'm considering doing so for my main home machine.

So I've got a few questions for current users.
_ Is there a way to install directly Beowulf or Ceres (without systemd of course), or must I start from the base and do upgrades stages by stage ?
_ Is KDE Plasma working, or can work ? (I think the answer is yes)
_ Has anybody got the unreal engine working on Devuan?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hurricane (2017-12-21 10:05:27)

#2 2017-12-21 10:10:13

golinux
Administrator

Re: Considering migration from a different distribution.

I can only answer one of your questions.

hurricane wrote:

Is there a way to install directly Beowulf or Ceres (without systemd of course), or must I start from the base and do upgrades stages by stage ?

Currently there are only 'official' install images for Devuan Jessie.  There are 'unofficial' images for Ascii but official ones will be coming soon.  Beowulf will not be available until after the Ascii release and then only by upgrade or unofficial isos until Beowulf 3.0 released.

#3 2017-12-21 10:32:33

hurricane

golinux wrote:

I can only answer one of your questions.
Currently there are only 'official' install images for Devuan Jessie.  There are 'unofficial' images for Ascii but official ones will be coming soon.  Beowulf will not be available until after the Ascii release and then only by upgrade or unofficial isos until Beowulf 3.0 released.

Progressive install it is.  Thanks.

#4 2017-12-21 14:40:39

cynwulf

hurricane wrote:

_ Has anybody got the unreal engine working on Devuan?

This is not really distribution dependent.  Two Unreal engines were ported several years ago: UT99 and UT2K3/UT2K4.  These were proprietary Linux ports.

Unreal Engine 4 is different matter: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq

#5 2017-12-21 22:32:29

fungus
Website

The good thing about devuan yet is that updates are sporadic and small.
Artix/Arch is a blizzard of upgrades 2-3 times a day.
The draw back is that devuan, and lately debian too, updates seem to be taking forever compared to arch/artix/obarun

The devuan I have the least experience with is Jessie, I upgraded straight to ascii and for a while I had a ceres till I was told it is not getting worked on at this time.  For a small period I suffered a hw/incompatibility problem that X related and some update magically fixed it without ever being able to locate the problem

I can't wait for beowulf

#6 2017-12-29 14:35:26

mckaygerhard
Website

fungus wrote:

The devuan I have the least experience with is Jessie, I upgraded straight to ascii and for a while I had a ceres till I was told it is not getting worked on at this time.  For a small period I suffered a hw/incompatibility problem that X related and some update magically fixed it without ever being able to locate the problem

I can't wait for beowulf

sound more like fashion rather than need it! hardware problems comes not only due "still unsuported not up to day" linuxes, also comes due "bad choice of hardware"

in any case, if you take close the other distros and Devuan, desktop fashion are not the target, servers and stability are the obvious target due the release cycle are larger beetween versions

Board footer