The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-10 18:16:40

millpond

General Questions

I have Devuan installed on an ancient 32 bit Athlon as an 'upgrade', and on a 64 bit C2Q as fresh bare metal install.

64 bit machine works fine. No noticed flaws. Yet...

32 bit has some power issues, which I was wondering how to resolve. The external USB drive is spinning down after a while which is good. The three internal drives are not, which is not. I have hdparms set, but no luck. I have a script which was badly broken by Jessie/systemd, but I may need to put back together.

I have updates turned off as a general principle, so is there anything since 8.1 that i really *need* to update?

Also: Are the Devuan filtering scripts available, for yanking the junk out of Debian directly?
I'd like to do experimenting with Perl or even Rakudo.
Or any FAQs in one spot for compiling without systemd ( I did indeed have some a while back, but misplaced them!)

#2 2017-02-10 23:26:57

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: General Questions

It's a bit scary to reply to this, because you've raised a fair few issues in the one breath :-)
How about splitting them up into several (is it 3 or is it 4?) threads.

As for the the last issue, "compiling without systemd", I believe a search in the
dyne.org's mailing list may bring up some discussions. That would be my first target for "FAQs in one spot"; though I wouldn't be surprised if there are more spots than one available.

#3 2017-02-11 00:47:36

golinux
Administrator

@millpond:  I posted your question on irc and here's the response.  Centurion_Dan is doing most of the packaging for Devuan:

<Centurion_Dan> golinux: it's not scripts, rather changes usually in the debian/rules to disable the reliance on systemd api's

You might also find dev1fanboy's Maintainer walkthrough useful.

IIRC amprolla2 will tag Debian packages that rely on systemd and quarantine them until they can be repackaged sans systemd.

#4 2017-02-23 06:49:54

millpond

Sorry for delay. Loss in family.

OK.. I looked at Amprolla2, and I do not see where the filtering is. Searching the python scripts for the 'systemd' string yields no results.
And a daemon is more than what I need.

What I am looking for is basically a script to:
1. Work by parsing local directories (either local mirror or deb collections).
2. Look into the deb archives and read themetadata, searching the dependency string for systemd, and flag the file.
3. Move the flagged files to a separate location.

Then comes the fun part.
I have yet to find good tools/scripts for dealing seamlessly with x archives. Anything in python, perl, ruby will do. I want to strip the debs of the systemd references attempt to install in a jail/VM and see if the package works. If not, try:
1. Dummy systemd libs/executables (exit 1 or exit 0???)
2. A script to grab the source and compile it without systemd, and package it as a deb.

Is anything like this on the ML or in git?

When is the best time for IRC questions??? (EST)

#5 2017-02-23 16:39:15

golinux
Administrator

millpond wrote:

Is anything like this on the ML or in git?

Not that I've seen.  If only . . .

millpond wrote:

When is the best time for IRC questions??? (EST)

Anytime.  The is often a burst of activity when Europe is awakening (and we in the US are sleeping).  But there is no clear pattern.  Post and you can check the botbot logs for a response anytime.

Board footer