The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-24 15:36:58

mckaygerhard
Website

can be udevil a alternative to udev?

hi i revised thati some time ago, now i see that the udevil can mount devices and also networks

i already know that udevil not registered devices, but take the already registered and manage it!

can be used that as a general mounter/netowork alternative and added udev functionality...

i ask that due i see low activity in udev alternatives such like vdev ...

#2 2017-09-28 02:31:44

JoshuaFlynn

Re: can be udevil a alternative to udev?

If you mean for systemd-free purposes, as it stands, the answer I can see is 'not really'. If one installs it and then runs the command:

dpkg -l | awk '$1=="ii" {print $2}' | xargs -rn1 -I+ sh -c "dpkg -L + | grep --label=+ -Hw systemd" > systemd-references.txt

And checks the file, they will find the aforementioned package references (or tries to reference) systemd.

I would like to see the Devuan developers offer even experimental access to alternatives to udev (such as eudev, vdev, etc) even if not necessarily working out of the box or particularly integrated.

#3 2017-09-28 02:46:50

golinux
Administrator

JoshuaFlynn wrote:

I would like to see the Devuan developers offer even experimental access to alternatives to udev (such as eudev, vdev, etc) even if not necessarily working out of the box or particularly integrated.

Both eudev and vdev are available for testing in ascii but I'm not quite sure where they are maybe in experimental.

#4 2017-09-28 11:00:05

sgage

golinux wrote:
JoshuaFlynn wrote:

Both eudev and vdev are available for testing in ascii but I'm not quite sure where they are maybe in experimental.

Eudev has been working for me quite well in ascii (no issues at all as far as I can tell) - I wish it was available for jessie...

#5 2017-09-29 03:14:54

JoshuaFlynn

When you say experimental, do you mean experimental in ASCII or experimental in Jessie?

I tried to add experimental to the sources.list in Jessie but apt-get update threw a hissy fit at me and said the experimental binaries do not exist, and I'm too lazy and too surrounded in what could possibly be mold spores to compile my own source code from scratch.

I tried that with OpenJDK8, and after scaling twenty or so of the most shakespearian error messages (one of which involved applying a hot patch to hotspot that everyone at Oracle was too lazy to fix, it involved ONE TEXT EDIT to ONE FILE), it compiled for two hours straight before it tripped up on a line of code and puked another error message, which brought flooding back all the memories of why I hated both Java and the resulting spikes in blood pressure that results in compilation of source code.

Either that, or it's the mold spores. Hard to say.

#6 2017-09-29 05:04:01

golinux
Administrator

JoshuaFlynn wrote:

When you say experimental, do you mean experimental in ASCII or experimental in Jessie?

The experimental repo is not tied to a release afaik.

#7 2017-09-29 07:24:22

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

You can install eudev=220:3.2.2-devuan1 from experimental on Jessie, but you need to make sure to also install libudev1=220:3.2.2-devuan1, which is its companion (despite the name).  The latter might be noted as a downgrade (relative jessie-backports), but that's nothing to worry about.

#8 2017-10-04 12:37:37

fungus
Website

Experimental is not a distribution, it is like a storage place for "experiments" to be tried by really experienced users and developers before they reach ceres (something like sid) and start flowing downstream.
It is the place where you can find refracta-tools, you can find eudev and replace the dreaded udev, and early stages of other init systems like operc, s6, runit, etc. among other things.
Experimental exists in debian too, sometimes you can find a new (for Debian kernel) that is not cleared for sid yet.
Experimental like sid/ceres only is a single repository, no security/update parts.
I have it energized on top of my ascii in case refracta, eudev, get updated.  But be really careful of what get pulled from there and replaces something you have in your distribution that may break your system.

There is nothing more rewarding than letting things break and fixing them again smile
Stability is for paper-collars (as we call them here).  I have no carpeting or a/c in my car, just padded rollbars, and that was used
for hauling motorcycles around, just to explain the mindset.

Board footer