The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-17 04:21:01

zapper

Frustration with Mullvad

Nevermind, this thread was a colossal waste of time and just a result of rage... my apologies

Last edited by zapper (2024-07-22 05:25:20)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#2 2024-07-17 07:02:46

EDX-0

Re: Frustration with Mullvad

what is the problem? it should add just like any other repo, if it is for the part of the script where it uses lsb_release just use the debian suite name i guess.

#3 2024-07-17 09:30:08

stargate-sg1-cheyenne-mtn

enjoyed reading these:

ttps://mullvad.net/en/why-privacy-matters

especially appreciated their easy-to-find direct pdf link(nicely and visibly placed near the beginning of the page):

(direct pdf download link)
ttps://mullvad.net/pdfs/Total_surveillance.pdf

also of note is that they don't even need-to-have/want any of your personal information, not even an email address:

ttps://mullvad.net/en/why-mullvad-vpn

it should be noted that some governments use extreme measures to block/confiscate physical correspondence. for reference please see: ttps://www.techdirt.com/2024/07/08/for-whatever-reason-the-us-post-office-is-still-running-its-mail-cover-surveillance-program/

another commentary of note:

ttps://arstechnica.com/security/2024/07/code-sneaked-into-fake-aws-downloaded-hundreds-of-times-backdoored-dev-devices/

Be Excellent to each other and Party On!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph_1DODXDU
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Ted%27s_Excellent_Adventure
Do unto others as you would have them do instantaneously back to you!

#4 2024-07-17 10:29:30

pl
Website

zapper wrote:

However, these bumbling morons refuse to acknowledge that maybe they are being stupid assuming everyone interested will be using debian or ubuntu.

It's ya being the real "bumbling moron" here, assuming it's good to call somebody like that 'cause of not serving repositories to every bloodey niche distro on the world...
Scroll down a bit instead, there's a tarball (button under "Manually installing the package file", works without JS/cookies/similiar) said to work on all x86_64 linux distributions. Or try, as EDX-0 suggested, using Debian repository (Devuan is de-facto systemdless Debian).
And anyway, compiling it by yourself is always possible...

"Czy ja jestem jeden, czy nie ma więcej dzikich?"

#5 2024-07-17 12:11:45

steve_v

Zapper whining about "them", calling names, and crying "Oh, the huge manatee, this is terrible, won't somebody do something" rather than taking any kind of remotely productive action... What else is new roll

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#6 2024-07-17 15:58:36

aluma

I don’t quite understand what’s causing all the noise?
37.jpg

#7 2024-07-17 17:38:07

lynch9

I think it's pretty straightforward. Just download the Mullvad signing key and save it to /usr/share/keyrings using curl or whatever and then add the Mullvad repository to your APT sources list and reference the signing key.

Hey, it's lynchian9.
Feel free to reach out via email.

#8 2024-07-19 21:48:26

zapper

@steve_v

Actually, what I expect is to at least have the librewolf approach.

https://librewolf.net/installation/debian/

Compare and you will understand better.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#9 2024-07-19 21:49:20

zapper

@aluma that is bizzare, I only could get mullvad vpn to show up... weird.

Peace Be With us All!

#10 2024-07-19 21:50:13

zapper

@pl just like steve-v, you are full of it.

You are missing the point.

They could at least do this:

https://librewolf.net/installation/debian/

You have proven btw, pl that you are a knucklehead yourself.

Last edited by zapper (2024-07-19 21:51:27)

Peace Be With us All!

#11 2024-07-19 22:01:42

golinux
Administrator

Whoa, zapper! Name-calling? Really? Maybe you'll want to take a deep breath and rethink that . . .

#12 2024-07-19 22:18:33

zapper

@golinux he insulted me first... so yeah.

I got a little hot under the collar. I would prefer people not just assume the worst of me without understanding my thinking.

But that is... sometimes... impossible, I guess.

Peace Be With us All!

#13 2024-07-20 04:43:29

aluma

@zapper
Being a lazy user, I copied and ran all their Debian commands.
Then I opened their repository in the browser and adjusted the link to the repository in Synaptic.
By default, “Devuan” copies there, naturally.

#14 2024-07-20 06:45:40

soren

So its just a matter of changing /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mullvad.list from daedalus to bookworm?

#15 2024-07-20 07:09:02

steve_v

As far as I can see, yeah.
i.e. a bunch of whining because copy-pasting commands without understanding what they do or checking the result doesn't work on Devuan...
Apparently needing to change the distro name yourself rather than being spoon-fed an inline if statement makes for "frustration times a million" and the mullvad folks "bumbling morons". roll

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#16 2024-07-20 07:50:51

pl
Website

zapper wrote:

I got a little hot under the collar. I would prefer people not just assume the worst of me without understanding my thinking.

But that is... sometimes... impossible, I guess.

How you want everyone to not "assume the worst of you" if all ya do is insulting everyone instead of doing normal conversation?
Seriousley, first you call Mullvad folks "bumbling morons" 'cause they do not serve a repo to every distro on the world
Then ye call everyone else "knuckleheads" because you got faced by me with literally yer own "argument" (throwing feces) for crapping on somebody else for not spoon-feeding you.
And finally doin' of yerself a scapegoat because "nobody understands you"...

Just, what da bloodey hell? How I, steve_v or anyone else can people have any level of respect and/or any will to talk with ye if it's how you do discussions?
Also, to make it clear, not gonna engage further. Havin' better things to do instead...

Last edited by pl (2024-07-20 07:51:38)

"Czy ja jestem jeden, czy nie ma więcej dzikich?"

#17 2024-07-20 08:37:45

zapper

@pl It seems you ignored what I wrote about how librewolf does it.

And you also ignored other replies where I said, mullvad browser didn't show up when I tried and only mullvad-vpn did.

Btw, its people like you who are unforgivably rash who get under my skin. I have no interest in your two cents. ZIP zilch...

Peace Be With us All!

#18 2024-07-20 08:41:44

zapper

@soren you are the only one who showed any decency in this thread...

Yeah, I eventually realized that. but it still only gave me mullvad-vpn when I tried initially.

@steve_v again, its the librewolf approach that they don't do that annoys me. They could just make it so derivatives default to a debian release like bookworm . But they don't. That is fundamentally annoying.

If I could, I would delete this thread because the majority of you people are giving me a hard time over something very reasonable which is:

debian derivatives default to debian codenames. Is that unreasonable? if you say yes, something is wrong with you.r thought process.

Peace Be With us All!

#19 2024-07-20 10:55:20

steve_v

its the librewolf approach that they don't do that annoys me. They could just make it so derivatives default to a debian release like bookworm . But they don't.

The only difference is that the librewolf download page gives you a lazy copy-paste command to run with a scrap of shell doing "if not [list of supported releases] then use ubuntu focal"... Which is something neither are in any way obliged to provide, and one anyone with two brain cells to rub together could implement themselves or fix manually by changing a single word in the resulting source line.

The reason you are getting flack for your post is that you are calling people "bumbling morons" for not spoon-feeding you. Grow up, and learn to deal with the fact that you are running a distribution with a small userbase and will need to make your own decisions when it comes to compatibility with third-party repositories.

That is fundamentally annoying.

So are people who get out of sorts and start slinging shit like a brat when they're not spoon-fed copy-paste solutions to every little thing.

debian derivatives default to debian codenames. Is that unreasonable?

Yes, expecting third-party developers to be aware of every derivative and which debian codenames it's compatible with is unreasonable. They're already providing you software for nothing, if you want to use their convenient repository too then figuring out which release is appropriate for your system is your problem.

Hell, librewolf doesn't "default to debian codenames" anyway. Had you made the effort to actually read that shell snippet you'd see they default to "focal" for any release not on their list, and that's not the right choice for devuan either.

To wit:

Attention. We only build LibreWolf for Debian 11/12, Ubuntu 20/21/22 and Mint 20.2/20.3/21. If you don't use one of those distros, the above commands will install the Ubuntu 20 build for you which may or may not work. If you want to manually choose a different distro's build, then change the first of the above commands to point at that distro. E.g. to install the Debian 11 build, run distro=bullseye.

What, pray tell, is so "frustrating" about applying the same logic to mullvad, and setting the codename yourself in mullvad.list, or wherever else you choose to put the source definition?

As for what mulvad stuff you can "get to show up", how about you go look at the contents of the repository you added... Or perhaps you expect somebody else to take care of that for you (and call them morons if they don't) as well?

Last edited by steve_v (2024-07-20 11:21:34)

#20 2024-07-21 06:28:42

zapper

No, you grow up, I don't like it when people try to deliberately provoke me.

And for this reason, I wonder now if I should do what headonastick did and go far away.

Last edited by zapper (2024-07-21 06:52:49)

Peace Be With us All!

#21 2024-07-21 07:15:23

aluma

@zapper
Man, are you in a bad mood?
You came to visit the forum, caused a scandal, piled up crap, it’s just right to put the “+18” mark, the big “I” doesn’t allow you to say “forgive the scoundrel”?

Last edited by aluma (2024-07-21 07:26:35)

#22 2024-07-21 08:29:07

steve_v

You started this @Zapper, with your "bumbling morons" comment. If you expect to be treated with "decency", first try being decent yourself.
Your ongoing tendency to throw gratuitous insults at anyone and anything you perceive as an out-group or an "organisation" is infantile and irritating.

The developers behind Mullvad owe you nothing, and have done nothing to deserve your bile. They provide you software, gratis, and even go so far as to host repositories of debian packages. What exactly have you done for the FOSS community, besides whine?

Last edited by steve_v (2024-07-21 08:29:28)

#23 2024-07-22 05:27:29

zapper

@Steve_v forget it then, I pmed you, because I realized I have been in a funk.

the FOSS community btw only Hyperbola really. Donated a bunch of money to them, mostly beyond that I have done nothing. So I apologize.

Stressed out lately.

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer