The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-03 17:02:05

Danielsan

Debian looking to integrate systemd-boot

Apparently at Debian are trying to push systemd-boot (a.k.a. gummy-boot)…

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Debian-Ex … stemd-boot

How this is going to affect the Devuan project?

I had intended that relationship between Debian and Devuan where friendly, but pushing forward systemd-boot is not being "Devuan Friendly" 😩

Last edited by Danielsan (2024-06-03 18:20:18)

#2 2024-06-03 17:50:24

golinux
Administrator

Re: Debian looking to integrate systemd-boot

Why would you assume that? The relationship has not been friendly or cooperative since before the farcical 2014 General Resolution.

Here' how that went down . . .
Combatting revisionist history

Even before that, things were quite heated and unfriendly on all Debian channels.

#3 2024-06-03 18:27:04

Danielsan

Oh boy...

I was totally convinced that Debian was interested in keeping alive the legacy of a non-systemd distribution, this is something that a Devuan folk wrote me on this very forum, not in my terms but there were some collaboration and contribution upstream to make the work on Devuan easier and simultaneously allowing Debian to change init effortlessly.

Dreams vs Reality: 0 - 10 👊

ouch... 🤕

#4 2024-06-07 17:39:00

UnixMan1230

For those who don't like reading past headlines...

For now though the systemd-boot support in the Debian Installer is limited to the expert mode. But with time it may be expanded to show by default, after sufficient testing as well as getting the UEFI Secure Boot integration ironed out. The plan though is for GRUB to remain the default bootloader of Debian.

It very explicitly says that there are no plans for it to be the default. Many architectures and platforms Debian is installed on couldn't even *use* systemd-boot, because they do not have UEFI. They're improving support for something, whoopty-do...besides, wasn't there a discussion a while back about making a standalone package in Devuan for it? I seem to recall doing a bit of research on that at one point...

'Sides, by the time things progress to the point that its all UEFI-only, I'm pretty sure most legacy-only machines will either be dead, dying, or too weak to handle a modern linux installation and still be reasonably useful. Hell, even the Kernel is reaching a critical mass at this point...

Of all the things to worry about right now (*cough* Windows Recall *cough*), this is the least of them

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#5 2024-06-08 13:00:09

Kristof12

Oh boy...

I was totally convinced that Debian was interested in keeping alive the legacy of a non-systemd distribution, this is something that a Devuan folk wrote me on this very forum, not in my terms but there were some collaboration and contribution upstream to make the work on Devuan easier and simultaneously allowing Debian to change init effortlessly.

Dreams vs Reality: 0 - 10 👊

ouch... 🤕

It's just status quo by the part of Debian, they are going to focus on systemd but they still keeps "legacy" sysv packages if people are willing to maintain, It's different from Arch and Fedora that they made it clear that they only support systemd and now on 254-256 they are hurrying to deprecate and eliminate any sysv legacy

And for me all this systemd-boot is unnecessary, grub works well and all this unnecessary mess upstream to push systemd-boot? idk... waiting to see if it works outside of systemd or Devuan will just ban as well this package

Board footer