The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-10 23:34:24

nobodyuknow

Adding packages require CD-ROM?

I made a LiveUSB using Rufus, my usual tool. I was able to install Devuan. But then when I tried to add some packages, any packages, I was asked to insert the CD-ROM. I inserted the LiveUSB, but that wasn't good enough. Is there a workaround to either get packages online or use the LiveUSB?

#2 2017-09-10 23:39:26

golinux
Administrator

Re: Adding packages require CD-ROM?

What exactly did you install?  What iso did you use?

If it is Devuan, make sure these repos are enabled in your sources.list

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie          main
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-updates  main
deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-security main

And comment the entry for CD-ROM.

That would be the way to do it on a legitimate Devuan installation. I looked at Rufus - never heard of it before.  So who knows.  Anything that mentions Windoze, I run the other way . . .

#3 2017-09-11 00:57:48

nobodyuknow

devuan_jessie_1.0.0_amd64_DVD.iso was what I downloaded and used to install the LXDE desktop. This was on a separate, wiped drive, not on a dual-boot. I have used Rufus for years with Linux Mint, Fedora, Lubuntu, and other distributions with no trouble. I will add the three lines of code and try again, thanks.

#4 2017-09-11 07:56:18

FOSSuser

When you install Debian, & presumably Devuan, from CD/DVD media, that media is the first choice when installing new software.
You should be able to comment out that line with a #. You may need to uncomment the required lines.

#5 2017-09-11 17:35:47

nobodyuknow

Okay, I looked at /etc/apt/sources.list and saw that lines referencing updates and security were already present, but there were two identical lines of code referencing CD-ROM, with the first being commented out and the second not. Methinks one of the CD-ROM lines needs to be deleted in the distribution. After I commented out the second CD-ROM line, I was able to install packages online. Thanks to golinux and FOSSuser for their assistance.

Last edited by nobodyuknow (2017-09-11 17:37:56)

#6 2017-09-11 17:55:46

golinux
Administrator

@nobodyuknow . . . Good news that you got it sorted.  Since this issue has not been reported before (surely it would have been by now), have you considered that maybe rufus added that extra line when it created the usb?

#7 2017-09-11 19:06:29

garyz.dev1

My experience is like @nobodyuknow  - the cd rom stays enabled - and there are two lines
one is commented out and the other right below it.
I just took it as part of the cd install
[that being said - I usually choose not network install as I feel the CD loads the basic sytem
faster than downloading. 
' then I comment the "cdrom" source and get the rest via the standard locations

#8 2017-09-11 19:31:06

golinux
Administrator

garyz.dev1 wrote:

My experience is like @nobodyuknow  - the cd rom stays enabled - and there are two lines

Interesting that no one has stumbled on that before . . . at least that I can remember. 

garyz.dev1 wrote:

[that being said - I usually choose not network install as I feel the CD loads the basic system
faster than downloading. 

That is a good plan when using the DVD install.  Not such a good idea when using the CD install as there are not enough packages on the CD to create a fully functional system.

#9 2017-09-13 01:21:51

zapper

golinux wrote:
garyz.dev1 wrote:

Interesting that no one has stumbled on that before . . . at least that I can remember. 

garyz.dev1 wrote:

[that being said - I usually choose not network install as I feel the CD loads the basic system
faster than downloading. 

That is a good plan when using the DVD install.  Not such a good idea when using the CD install as there are not enough packages on the CD to create a fully functional system.

I noticed long ago, on trisquel, debian and devuan.  I just never told anyone because I thought people knew already.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer