The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-17 22:55:05

sgage

Sleep button doesn't work

Pressing the 'sleep' button on the keyboard of my Compaq Presario desktop doesn't do anything. 'pm-suspend' works fine - the machine sleeps and wakes properly.

The sleep button does work properly in Debian Jessie.

#2 2017-01-18 02:41:32

golinux
Administrator

Re: Sleep button doesn't work

Does suspend work from the logout menu?

#3 2017-01-18 03:02:40

sgage

golinux wrote:

Does suspend work from the logout menu?

I don't see a suspend option. I am running MATE. If I select log out, it just logs me out to the greeter screen to log back in again.

#4 2017-01-18 03:07:13

golinux
Administrator

Do you have upower installed?  That used to be the solution but may not be going forward.  There is history in the botbot logs.

Last edited by golinux (2017-01-18 03:11:38)

#5 2017-01-18 03:08:29

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

If the button results in an ACPI event, you could deal with it through that: a "rules file" in /etc/acpi/events to recognize it and map to a script, and that script invoking pm-suspend, habitually placed in /etc/acpi.

Last edited by ralph.ronnquist (2017-01-18 03:08:55)

#6 2017-01-18 14:00:02

sgage

golinux wrote:

Do you have upower installed?  That used to be the solution but may not be going forward.  There is history in the botbot logs.

Yes, I have upower installed. It seems that the latest version of upower dropped support for some hardware - it let's systemd handle it.

#7 2017-01-18 14:02:04

sgage

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

If the button results in an ACPI event, you could deal with it through that: a "rules file" in /etc/acpi/events to recognize it and map to a script, and that script invoking pm-suspend, habitually placed in /etc/acpi.

I'll see if I can cobble something together.

BTW, many thanks everyone for the input/suggestions!

Last edited by sgage (2017-01-18 14:02:33)

#8 2017-01-18 15:15:51

sgage

I was able to whip up a simple acpi event catcher and script to have the sleep button work.

I did notice, in my poking around, that there is a lot of systemd stuff  in /etc/systemd/system, /lib/systemd, and /var/lib/systemd. What's that all about? Or did it get sucked in by something I installed maybe?

#9 2017-01-18 16:40:24

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

I was able to whip up a simple acpi event catcher and script to have the sleep button work.

Perhaps you could share your fix in Documentation?

sgage wrote:

I did notice, in my poking around, that there is a lot of systemd stuff  in /etc/systemd/system, /lib/systemd, and /var/lib/systemd. What's that all about? Or did it get sucked in by something I installed maybe?

I also have these components installed and found it 'disturbing'.  That question has been asked before  - maybe by me -  but I can't remember the answer. LOL! I'll throw it up on #devuan and see who bites . . .

#10 2017-01-18 16:50:33

AntoFox

what version of mate have on you pc?

#11 2017-01-18 17:06:02

sgage

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:

Perhaps you could share your fix in Documentation?

sgage wrote:

I also have these components installed and found it 'disturbing'.  That question has been asked before  - maybe by me -  but I can't remember the answer. LOL! I'll throw it up on #devuan and see who bites . . .

I will write it up soon and post in Documentation. If nothing else, you can have endless fun making the 'special buttons' do whatever you want...

Yes, I'd be interested in learning something about all that systemd junk...

#12 2017-01-18 17:07:40

sgage

AntoFox wrote:

what version of mate have on you pc?

Standard Devuan Jessie - MATE 1.8.1

The same issue occurs in Ascii (where I am right now) - MATE 1.16.1

#13 2017-01-18 17:18:35

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

I will write it up soon and post in Documentation. If nothing else, you can have endless fun making the 'special buttons' do whatever you want...

Well, I won't be doing that but there are others who might want to. wink

sgage wrote:

Here are the first few nibbles. Probably more to come as I pinged jaromil, nextime and Centurion_Dan . . .

<KatolaZ> golinux: those should be systemd-related scripts installed by other packages
<muep> it is usually harmless for a package to ship a config file for something that is not installed
<golinux> muep: If a package is not installed, why would related config files be sucked in for a non-existent purpose?
<muep> golinux: because packages include those files for the cases where they are installed alongside the thing that does not happen to be present
<muep> and because devuan is using debian packages as-is where they are suitable
<KatolaZ> golinux: and because we should not make the same mistake that all the distros have done
<KatolaZ> i.e., making it impossible to use anything else
<KatolaZ> if a package has scripts for runit or openrc or systemd, why should we remove them?
<KatolaZ> those script will never be executed if runit, openrc, or systemd is not installed

The conversation continues here on botbot.

#14 2017-01-18 18:18:06

sgage

Interesting. Maybe I'll check out the conversation on bot.bot.

I just posted a quick how-to on the sleep button fix over in the Documentation section. If you get a chance to look at it, please et me know if you think it needs anything...

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:

Well, I won't be doing that but there are others who might want to. wink

sgage wrote:

Here are the first few nibbles. Probably more to come as I pinged jaromil, nextime and Centurion_Dan . . .

<KatolaZ> golinux: those should be systemd-related scripts installed by other packages
<muep> it is usually harmless for a package to ship a config file for something that is not installed
<golinux> muep: If a package is not installed, why would related config files be sucked in for a non-existent purpose?
<muep> golinux: because packages include those files for the cases where they are installed alongside the thing that does not happen to be present
<muep> and because devuan is using debian packages as-is where they are suitable
<KatolaZ> golinux: and because we should not make the same mistake that all the distros have done
<KatolaZ> i.e., making it impossible to use anything else
<KatolaZ> if a package has scripts for runit or openrc or systemd, why should we remove them?
<KatolaZ> those script will never be executed if runit, openrc, or systemd is not installed

The conversation continues here on botbot.

#15 2017-01-18 18:23:14

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

I just posted a quick how-to on the sleep button fix over in the Documentation section. If you get a chance to look at it, please et me know if you think it needs anything...

Very nice!  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Board footer