The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-08 16:23:41

coyotito

multimedia repo not available and nvidia driver not installable

This may not apply here as it happened when I installed the Peppermint OS Devuan version.
Problem: debian multimedia repo not working, error being: no access to repo/packages.
Apparently this leads to the nvidia proprietary driver packages (and I'm sure other stuff) being uninstallable.
This driver is needed as nouveau does not play nice at all with the rtx 1650 mobile chip in this MSI Katana.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions, I have not tried vanilla Devuan yet as the isos do not run off my Ventoy usb stick

#2 2024-03-08 18:30:34

delgado

Re: multimedia repo not available and nvidia driver not installable

I do not know Peppermint OS.
Are the deb-multimedia.org keys installed?
Did you copy an old sources.list, still pointing to debian-multimedia.org?

#3 2024-03-08 18:41:58

coyotito

I used the setup that came with the installation, no tinkering. Peppermint is very neatly set up so I did not think something like that could be missing. Also in my experience it is a bad idea to leave debian multimedia or backports repo activated, this will lead to system instability. I prefer to activate them, install what I want and deactivate. So I tried first to use the system without the multimedia repo - and ruined that installation trying to purge all nvidia and nouveau packages after it turned out to be difficult to get rid of them - the nvidia standalone installer kept compaining smile
Peppermint Devuan has a 6.1 kernel - is that the same as stock Devuan?

#4 2024-03-08 18:49:07

aluma

Try the image devuan_daedalus_5.0.0_amd64_desktop-live.iso (this is Xfce) simply write it to a flash drive with the dd command.
The options may be different, on one computer it works by default, on the other only if everything is loaded into memory.
Installed on the hard drive it works without problems.

#5 2024-03-08 18:59:23

golinux
Administrator

deb-multimedia.org has always been a little unreliable. I gave up using it long before Devuan even existed because of cautions about it on the debian forum.  Everything you need should be available via the Devuan repos.

@delgado . . . Peppermint OS Devuan Release is on the Devuan derivatives list

#6 2024-03-08 19:00:01

coyotito

Thanks will try that.

#7 2024-03-09 13:34:53

delgado

I do not know Peppermint OS.

@delgado . . . Peppermint OS Devuan Release is on the Devuan derivatives list

I did not ment to be disrespectful, just that I'm not aware of differences to devuan.

Back to topic.
Just to mention (since I don't like to re-install): It is possible to clean-up an installation using apt-pinning. The wanted release should have a priority of at least 1001 to allow downgrading (apt policy). The steps are in short: adjust /etc/apt/preferences, then apt update; apt upgrage; apt dist-upgrade.

#8 2024-03-09 16:01:26

golinux
Administrator

@delgado . . . I only meant to inform this thread that Devuan is aware of Peppermint's Devuan version. big_smile

#9 2024-03-09 16:23:03

rolfie

$coyotito wrote:

Problem: debian multimedia repo not working, error being: no access to repo/packages.
Apparently this leads to the nvidia proprietary driver packages (and I'm sure other stuff) being uninstallable.

I am not a NVidea user, but I am sure that the NVidea drivers do not require any package from the debian multimedia repo.

My suggestion: uncomment it for the time being in the sources.list and get your graphics to work.

#10 2024-03-09 18:57:20

JWM-Kit
Website

I'm going to back up the proposals to removing the multimedia repo.  I view the repo as a solution to a problem that no longer exist. There once was a time where the multimedia repo was a must have for audio/video codec, dvd playback, etc. That is no longer the case. Even if you are a musician or other media artist you would be better off using something like the KXStudio repo. No that's not a promotion of the KXstudio repo, just my thought on the subject.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2024-03-09 18:58:14)

#11 2024-03-09 19:55:05

rolfie

Just installed POS in a VM: indeed the installation calls the debian multimedia repo in the sources.list.d directory. Access in my VM went fine, question is why the OP has a problem to access it. Network not set up correctly? DNS trouble?

I also found that per default just the main repo is present in the sources.list, and non-free-firmware is missing which might be crucial for the graphics card setup.
The other entries are present just commented out. So its easy to enable them. Just remove the # on the beginning.

Last edited by rolfie (2024-03-09 19:57:45)

#12 2024-03-09 20:06:22

golinux
Administrator

WOW, rolfie . . . Thanks for going above and beyond!!

#13 2024-03-10 17:13:36

nixer

Just in case someone is interested, this link helped me out recently.  I had a Peppermint Devuan install and found it easier to just remove the dmo packages and revert to an all devuan install - including their multimedia packages.  I noticed no difference with no breakage.  Upgrades were easier too.

How to remove dmo packages - deb.multimedia
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=227270

#14 2024-03-11 00:41:41

coyotito

Yes, that was quite impressive by Rolfie smile Now, you can remove multimedia repo from POS but I guess you still may run into problems because of stuff from there already present when you install. Anyway on this machine it has the same issue as Devuan: if you disable nouveau X does not start at all.
You may well ask why repos not work, it actually threw an error i have never seen before, it actually said 'no access' - and this happened repeatedly over a couple days. I'm guessing it must still have been some temporary hiccup. Ok, I tried the smaller iso images just for fun and because most of the available usb drives I have here are 1 gb SD cards. Minimal live: no gui, X did not start. is this by design? There were some errors and the installation failed. Must say I find the refracta installer quite horrible, both gui and cli version. Tried the Debian installer iso, that gave an installation that gave a kernel panic trying to boot. The live iso with GUI refracta installer gave an installer that did not boot into X. This machine, an MSI Katana gaming laptop seems a bit difficult for this distro with its dual video card setup (rtx 1650 mobile and integrated intel video). If neither nvidia or nouveau work it should still start X with the intel video but that does not work (nouveau gives glitches with the card so I blacklist it). Ok, I ended up with Salix 15 (i.e Slackware but with gui tools, this also uses SysVinit). Nvidia did not install (salix uses the installer from nvidia), nouveau got uninstalled and this is able to use the intel video which works fine. I have a Devuan install on an old desktop, a gaming tower from around 2008 that I got used. No problems there. So thanks, see you later.

#15 2024-03-11 10:02:28

aluma

If neither nvidia or nouveau work it should still start X with the intel video but that does not work (nouveau gives glitches with the card so I blacklist it).

Maybe this is the reason?

By default, this device operates in Hybrid graphics which works completely fine, but one of the key features of this device is mux switch. In short, it allows physically wiring NVIDIA GPU to the display, which eliminates the need for the integrated graphics processor and resulting in improved performance.

MSI only provides Windows application (UWP or ZIP) to switch between Hybrid graphics (Intel + NVIDIA) and discrete graphics (NVIDIA) mode

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/MSI_GS66_11UX

#16 2024-03-11 20:22:06

coyotito

It must be. With no nvidia or nouveau driver it seems some distros react by not being able to start X. I'm pretty sure Salix must now run the intel chip as nouveau has been purged, which is fine for this installation which I only use for internet and word processing. Got RegataOS for gaming, this is a gaming distro based on OpenSUSE. The glitches with nouveau seem to occur with all distros.  This laptop has a 17" screen, I normally use external monitor when gaming. Then it runs both screens and the external must be set as main.

#17 2024-03-11 22:10:31

GlennW

@nixer, I recently found the same outcomes.

I had used the debian multimedia repo as well (for ffmulticonverter,) and found that the devuan repo had caught up and dmo was no longer required for that package's dependants.

It's good to know where we can source these updated packages, but also good to find devuan repo is not far behind, and possibly stable for the over-all system and upgrades.

things evolve...
As for intel/nvidia laptops... I set mine up last week and for the first time the nouveau driver loaded, all from the default Devuan/Daedalus install with updates.

In the past I tried to blacklist the intel module, using vesa but to no avail. the intel module was the one that gave me a gui from boot.

I think the nvidia chip is a 107m... it's about 10 years old.

I hope this helps...

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#18 2024-03-12 20:18:34

deepforest

@coyotito
try use this solution for nvidia drivers, its works for me
https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/

Board footer