The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-03-07 17:25:28

golinux
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Beowulf to Chimaera - precautions

Yeah . . . importing a profile is easy. The hard part is cleaning up the outdated and redundant files. Then there's about:config! Yikes!!

#27 2024-03-08 08:25:27

Andre4freedom

@golinux

You can create an account at our git.devuan.org and post your document there then link to it as appropriate . . .

I tried several times, and could never get the password setting/confirmation/forgot-password-recovery thing working....
I give up with git. (https://git.devuan.org/)
I have the "neutralized" document about disk-cloning for any system ready and can send it wherever you wish. Possibly for review, discarding if worthless, editing if somebody wishes so.. Just to be sure: the procedure was used professionally to deploy courses and also for migration and test-scenarios.
Sincerely, Andre4freedom

#28 2024-03-08 15:46:16

golinux
Administrator

@Andre4freedom . . . I don't mess much with git admin any more so can't help you with that. Maybe try Codeberg https://codeberg.org/

#29 2024-03-08 16:44:25

Andre4freedom

@golinux
Thank you, codeberg worked right away.

@Altoid
To come back to system backup / restore / cloning, I have posted information about some efficient methods here:
https://codeberg.org/Andre4freedom/Devu … ods-v3.pdf

Oh, BTW: if you find issues in this textual information, please let me know! Thanks!

I hope it works and helps!
Have a good weekend!

Last edited by Andre4freedom (2024-03-08 16:47:38)

#30 2024-03-08 23:32:04

Altoid

Hello:

A4f wrote:

... have posted information about some efficient methods here ...

Thank you very much.
I'll have a look at all that.

Best,

A.

#31 2024-03-10 03:53:05

czeekaj

If you do upgrade from beowulf to chimaera. Disable os-prober before you do any upgrading. It's been default disabled.

Also I'd update critical packages first before just doing a mass upgrade. You can start with backported stuff first is a good idea to help make the transition smoother.

You're also going to want to make sure you have an up to date keyring there was a point when you had to manually install it when upgrading from beowulf.

Last edited by czeekaj (2024-03-10 03:55:53)

#32 2024-03-10 11:36:17

Altoid

Hello:

czeekaj wrote:

Disable os-prober before you do any upgrading.
It's been default disabled.

I think grub-customizer probably uses it.
But I have not used that application in more a good long while, when I had another HDD with another version to test.

That said, when/if upgrading, the idea is to clone the system drive, set the box to boot from the clone and only then do any upgrade.
Then, if there are no issues, make an image of that drive to restore back to the system drive.

As this is a BIOS boot (no UEFI stuff) box, any other OS boot issues generated by the OS-prober can be easily fixed there.

czeekaj wrote:

... update critical packages first ...

If I decide to continue with attempting this upgrade, the system drive will be fully updated and cleaned of left over cruft/orphans before cloning it.

czeekaj wrote:

... make sure you have an up to date keyring ...

Thanks for reminding me.
Seems it was up to date because during the experiment (see part II, link below) there were no warnings in the terminal printout.

And I accepted all the default options when given the choice.
Not sure that was a good thing as I once had a severe problem with the default Devuan MTA, Exim4 by doing just that.
ie: accept default suggestions when updating/upgrading. 

TL;DR: I removed/purged it and in its place installed a lightweight and much better maintained one called procmail.
After all, I was only needing a local MTA, nothing too elaborate.

Just works and in three years' use it has never given me any grief, to the extent that I had to actually look up the package name.  8^°

Thanks for your input.

Best,

A.

Note: I will mark this as SOLVED to this thread will continue in part II here.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-03-10 12:08:40)

Board footer