The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-19 19:42:19

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] Update concerning the 2017 Release of Miyo-XTRA

August 19, 2017

I have temporarily removed the downloads of Miyo-XTRA from Sourceforge. After discovering a few issues that I missed during the testing of XTRA, I've decided to rebuild it.

The initial re-build of the 32 bit version is working well...and the 64 bit version is soon to follow.

I hope to have downloads available by August 26, 2017 (if not sooner). My apologies to anyone who may have downloaded the original version(s) of Miyo-XTRA. I do have fixes and/or "work-arounds" for the issues on the MiyoLinux Sourceforge Wiki for those who have downloaded and installed it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/miyolinux/wiki/browse_pages/

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2017-08-22 03:51:37

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] Update concerning the 2017 Release of Miyo-XTRA

Both 32 bit and 64 bit rebuilds of XTRA are working well...except for that pesky LXPanel menu deal. Can't figure it out, and I've searched and searched for a solution. I have someone who will be testing it soon, so hopefully they may have a solution. It's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to figure it out.

I also "fixed" the dev1-colors wallpaper and added an extra one with only purpy dev1 colors. I'll also upload those to Sourceforge if anyone is interested. The original dev1-colors wallpaper was slightly off-center horizontally. That has been rectified along with a second dev1-colors wallpaper. I'll try to get those uploaded to Sourceforge tomorrow (August 22, 1017).

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-22 03:51:54)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#3 2017-08-22 11:38:52

fungus
Website

It smells like polkit (lxpolkit) related trouble,
Installing and removing packages is a root only privileged process.  If the menu is user specific only user can alter.  Other linux editions have LX-stuff a bit more relaxed than debian defaults.  I think it has to do with single user or enterprise oriented system.
It also relates to the choice of whether you want app-menu to be system wide uniform or user modifiable.  IOW if we are both sudo-ed users on the system and I install backgammon does it pop-up in your games menu?  I believe that on default debian lxde stuff is that it will not unless you choose to add it to your menu.

#4 2017-08-22 17:21:13

MiyoLinux

I don't know...it has a mind of its own. Some applications show immediately in its menu, some show after a reboot, and some won't show until installing another application with Synaptic. It's got me bumfuzzled.

#5 2017-08-22 19:46:29

fungus
Website

Have you played around with one of the available menu editors?  I know it is not an answer to your problem, as you want it done regularly and automatically for miyo users, but messing with them gives you clues of what may be wrong.  On the list of available packages that can be added to the menu I believe they come up as soon as they are installed.  Maybe if the package doesn't have a preconfiguration for a menu entry/anchor it is not added, but gets listed so you can add it manually. 
But don't listen to me, I may not know what I'm talking about, just guessing things.

#6 2017-08-23 01:24:49

MiyoLinux

Thanks fungus. I finally found a command that forces it to show new items in the menu. I had tried using...

update-menus

...but that didn't do squat. tongue

If I can't figure out why some items aren't showing right away, I'll add the command that I found as an addition to the LXPanel section of the Panel Switcher. At least that's a quick option if needed.

Here's the command if anyone happened to download and install XTRA before I pulled it from Sourceforge...just run this command with the Run command or terminal...

lxpanelctl restart

...and it will populate the LXPanel's menu. It has worked each time I've tried it.

#7 2017-08-23 10:03:54

HextorBRX

Hello, I usually cannot run live CDs on my computer but yours works. I have no network connection though.

Which kernel version is being used? My computer may be too recent.

This is good work by the way: no need to configure dynamic menus or icons, it is not installed with 1000 softwares, exactly what I am looking for.

MSI GP62 6QE-806XFR
Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

#8 2017-08-23 13:01:52

MiyoLinux

HextorBRX wrote:

Hello, I usually cannot run live CDs on my computer but yours works. I have no network connection though.

Which kernel version is being used? My computer may be too recent.

This is good work by the way: no need to configure dynamic menus or icons, it is not installed with 1000 softwares, exactly what I am looking for.

MSI GP62 6QE-806XFR
Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Hi HextorBRX. Thank you. Miyo comes with the stock 3.16 kernel. Kernel 4.9 is available via the Backports repository.

As a small safety measure, I made Miyo so that it doesn't automatically connect to the internet. That can be changed by the user in the UI of wicd.

To connect the first time, a user will have to click the wicd network manager's icon on the panel and choose their connection...whether it's a wired connection or wireless. I can't say with certainty, but the newer kernel may be needed for your Killer E2400.

Edited to add:  If Miyo worked live, you might also want to try greenjean's Vuu-do. He has an Openbox version and Mate version. smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-23 13:09:04)

#9 2017-08-25 22:40:36

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Kernel 4.9 is available via the Backports repository.

Negative unfortunately, I can't get it to install anymore, it's asking for a newer version of linux-base which is not available in backports or jessie main.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#10 2017-08-25 23:35:58

fsmithred
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Negative unfortunately, I can't get it to install anymore, it's asking for a newer version of linux-base which is not available in backports or jessie main.

It's there in backports. You have to tell it to install linux-base when you tell it to install the kernel. Use
'apt-get -t jessie-backports install linux-base linux-image-4.9-whatever'

#11 2017-08-26 18:11:17

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

It's there in backports. You have to tell it to install linux-base when you tell it to install the kernel. Use

Thanks fsr. I'll try that later. I finally got it installed after much hacking, smacking, and whacking...LOL! However, I lost wifi afterwards. I won't give what I did to install it. LOLOLOL!

As a side-note: The Miyo-XTRA releases are again available...with all previous issues addressed. smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-26 18:12:22)

#12 2017-08-29 02:43:54

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

That worked like a charm. Now that I think about it, I'm thinking that I was confusing things a bit. I had done so many upgrades from jessie to ascii to ceres, I think I was thinking about those kernel upgrades rather than a kernel upgrade in jessie from backports. tongue

Focus miyo...focus. LOLOL!

Board footer