The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-14 21:45:13

fanderal

Congratulations on a good move!

It's really good to see this forum. Seems to me a distro's forum, unofficial or not, is the single most important point of contact to facilitate good communication among its users. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't think trying to reinvent the forum wheel is a viable way to attract new users and create an active community. I'd like to see Devuan (and distros like it) succeed, as there's no better way to say 'No thanks' to systemd. To those responsible for this site, Thank You.

Seeing how systemd came to be included in Debian, and in almost every popular and based-on distro so quickly, was sad to watch. The upgrade to Jessie didn't affect me at first as my desktop is Fluxbox/Rox-filer with a console login. However, that soon changed. For example, DE-independent transmission-gtk needed about 15MB to install on my setup in Wheezy. A Jessie update needed about 100MB, adding GTK3, Adwaita icons, gconf2, glib-networking, desktop-schemas and more. Didn't like Gnome pushing its way into the OS, even without systemd as init.

I tried a number of distros from the list on Without Systemd as I followed Devuan's development. I liked several, but whether familiarity or wanting to see Devuan do well, I waited for the iso. Tried the iso in VBox for a while, then installed the base OS to the HD last summer. It's been my default since then and haven't had a single problem. smile

FWIW, I don't often post but I do like to read. I discovered when composing a post with a good explanation of the problem, the relevant log output and search results I've tried, proofreading before posting often suggests stuff I hadn't yet thought of or a different direction to take. It usually helps me fix the problem.

With Debian as my default since Etch, I switched to Devuan for the same reason it was developed. I'm grateful, and to those who created and maintain it, Thank You!

#2 2017-01-14 21:59:27

golinux
Administrator

Re: Congratulations on a good move!

Thank you fanderal and welcome! It's a little quiet here.  Maybe because happy Devuan users ether don't have problems or know how to fix them on their own. Those of us who have gathered here prefer a simple and understandable format.  In your words . . . no need to "reinvent the forum wheel".   Exactly!!

#3 2017-01-14 22:09:13

sgage

fanderal, I agree with you 100%. What happened with Debian was very sad, and very troubling. The Windows-ification of Linux distros is proceeding apace, and we are indeed fortunate to have the Devuan project and folks...

#4 2017-01-15 12:46:13

FOSSuser

I have to agree, this is a far better place to be than Devuan Discourse, (I can't even remember how to post on there!), a great resource for Devuan followers. smile

After the initial Debian 'dictatorship' decided that systemd was going to be 'the Debian way', I quickly looked around for alternatives, as they said there was to be no other init system, but they saw people leaving, & so capitulated, to 'allow' other init systems, but that dreaded systemd was so integrated, it was not easy to get a Debian install without the 'virus', so that is why I followed Devuan, but like you, waited for an installable ISO. smile

I also re aquainted myself with OpenBSD, just in case. wink

#5 2017-01-15 15:37:17

golinux
Administrator

FOSSuser wrote:

. . . they said there was to be no other init system, but they saw people leaving, & so capitulated, to 'allow' other init systems . . .

I predict that other init systems won't be 'allowed' for much longer . . .

#6 2017-01-15 19:21:26

fanderal

Appreciate the welcome, golinux. I agree, it's likely happy Devuan users.

The troubling thing to me, sgage, is how so many seemingly independent distros agreed to systemd. I understand the based-on distros with few devs. But the rest of them agreeing in such a short period of time? Seemed like dominos. I don't understand what would draw them away from their independence to integrate (in hindsight) a half-baked init system.

I also re aquainted myself with OpenBSD, just in case.

DragonflyBSD seemed right for me... just in case.

Board footer