The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-08-07 11:44:06

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

fungus wrote:

was it pico that was the father of nano?

echo "was it pico that was the father of nano?" | awk '{ print $3 " " $5 " " $6 " " $7 " " $8 " " $9 }' | sed 's/?/./'

#52 2017-08-07 13:36:27

fungus
Website

echo "was it systemd that was the fucker of linux?" | awk '{ print $3 " " $5 " " $6 " " $7 " " $8 " " $9 }' | sed 's/?/./'

GNU nano was first created in 1999 with the name TIP (TIP Isn't Pico), by Chris Allegretta. His motivation was to create a free software replacement for Pico, which was not distributed under a free software license. The name was changed to nano on 10 January 2000 to avoid a naming conflict with the existing Unix utility tip. The name comes from the system of SI prefixes, in which nano is 1000 times larger than pico. In February 2001, nano became a part of the GNU Project.
GNU nano implements some features that Pico lacks, including colored text, regular expression search and replace, smooth scrolling, multiple buffers, rebindable key support,[5] and undoing and redoing of edit changes.[6]

Pico (Pine composer) is a text editor for Unix and Unix-based computer systems. It is integrated with the Pine e-mail client, which was designed by the Office of Computing and Communications at the University of Washington.
From the Pine FAQ: "Pine's message composition editor is also available as a separate stand-alone program, called PICO. PICO is a very simple and easy-to-use text editor offering paragraph justification, cut/paste, and a spelling checker...".[1]

Last edited by fungus (2017-08-07 13:41:34)

#53 2017-08-09 01:51:21

MiyoLinux

Teaser!

tongue

Miyo is still Miyo...but there's a little more than meets the eye. wink

Click to enlarge...

screenshot-08082017-09-41-37-pm_1.png?1502243117

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#54 2017-08-09 08:27:24

darry1966

Hey Miyo,

Look forward to next release:)

#55 2017-08-09 15:15:41

MiyoLinux

darry1966 wrote:

Hey Miyo,

Look forward to next release:)

Thanks darry1966. The 32 bit is finished. I hope to have the 64 bit finished soon...if all goes well. wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#56 2017-08-09 20:15:16

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
Teaser!

tongue

Click to enlarge...

https://13707080-557519846114226283.preview.editmysite.com/uploads/1/3/7/0/13707080/editor/screenshot-08082017-09-41-37-pm_1.png?1502243117

Sweet, I like what you did with the wallpaper! big_smile

I like the flag icon too in the tray, what's it do?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#57 2017-08-09 21:18:01

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:
Teaser!

tongue

Click to enlarge...

https://13707080-557519846114226283.preview.editmysite.com/uploads/1/3/7/0/13707080/editor/screenshot-08082017-09-41-37-pm_1.png?1502243117

Sweet, I like what you did with the wallpaper! big_smile

I like the flag icon too in the tray, what's it do?

Thanks greenjeans. That means a lot coming from you.

The flag is the keyboard layout switcher.

#58 2017-08-10 03:27:09

MiyoLinux

Got sidetracked by a friend in Britain who asked me to make him a portable OS with a distro that shan't be named. LOL! Finished that up this evening, and then was able to put the finishing touches on the Miyo 64 bit (I hope).

My goal is to have the new releases uploaded and available for users to download this weekend...either Saturday or Sunday. I'm in the process of testing the 64 bit version now. tongue

I can't say enough about fsmithred's work with the Refracta tools...I'm absolutely amazed and in awe every time I use them. smile

#59 2017-08-12 16:48:46

MiyoLinux

The new MiyoLinux releases are ready if anyone is interested in trying them out.

Here's a screenshot of the desktop in the live session (click to enlarge)

miyolinux.png?1502555910

Here's a quick rundown of what has changed with this release...

MiyoLinux 2017 Release Notes

PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS INCLUDED IN MIYOLINUX.

Live User Information:
Username = miyolinux
Password = miyo
Root password= miyo

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE

1. PCManFM is controlling the desktop which allows for desktop icons and a few other benefits that may help people new to Openbox (this can easily be changed in the autostart file for a more classic Openbox experience).
2. The Update Notifier isn't installed, but it is available to be installed.
3. Added the jessie-backports repository, but it's not activated out of the box. 
4. Added gxkb (a keyboard layout switcher).
5. Fixed that pesky Mouse wheel scrolling through desktops.
6. Added the ability to update icons in sub-menus.
7. Added Faenza icons.
8. Included a copy of the Obmenu-Generator .deb package.
9. DID NOT include a web browser.
10. Added much more wireless firmware.
11. Enabled Number Lock at system start-up (can be disabled in the autostart file).
12. Added a few "convenience" tools.

More information regarding each one is given in the Release Notes.

Other than those changes, Miyo is still Miyo. smile

...and many thanks to Devuan and fsmithred...and thanks to greenjeans for being such an inspiration.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-12 17:59:29)

#60 2017-08-12 18:39:24

fungus
Website

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/106/

Vuu-Do is the next victim

#61 2017-08-12 18:43:18

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/106/

Vuu-Do is the next victim

Wow...thanks fungus. smile

#62 2017-08-12 19:34:39

MiyoLinux

I meant to add...

While allowing PCManFM to control the desktop does offer benefits, at the same time, it uses about 30 - 35 more MBs of RAM than just the normal Openbox desktop. So, if that is important to you (it is to me), then disable PCManFM's control over the desktop in the autostart file...and don't forget to enable nitrogen to handle your wallpapers. wink

#63 2017-08-13 07:46:54

FOSSuser

....& the competition is hotting up.....

Vuu-Do has got conky.....

....... & now MIYO has got desktop icons.....

what will we see next, folks.... big_smile

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-08-13 07:50:45)

#64 2017-08-13 09:49:53

fungus
Website

I know, they started from minimalism with openbox and they are competing with plasma

#65 2017-08-14 00:48:58

MiyoLinux

FOSSuser wrote:

....& the competition is hotting up.....

Vuu-Do has got conky.....

....... & now MIYO has got desktop icons.....

what will we see next, folks.... big_smile

fungus wrote:

I know, they started from minimalism with openbox and they are competing with plasma

LOL! You guys crack me up! big_smile

I consider greenjeans my brother-in-arms...and I am in no way competing with him. He'd blow me away if I were! tongue

fungus...you want to know what's strange? I've built some KDE Plasma desktops lately...very bare-bones but fully functional...and the resource usage is WAY less than you'd expect...we're talking less than Lubuntu. If Devuan ever attacks Plasma, I'd like to get my hands on it and Miyo it. wink

With that said, I am currently working on a "Blind Squirrel" release though. After I mentioned that there should be a distro named "Blind Squirrel Linux" recently, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind...so I'm Miyoing it. Same Miyo as the most recent release, but it will offer users a few extra choices...that shan't be named until it's released. LOL!

#66 2017-08-14 18:50:30

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I consider greenjeans my brother-in-arms...and I am in no way competing with him. He'd blow me away if I were! tongue

Thanks! But you have that backwards, there wouldn't be a Vuu-do if there wasn't a Miyo, i'm happy being number two as long as I don't have to try harder. big_smile

MiyoLinux wrote:

and thanks to greenjeans for being such an inspiration.

This also, you have backwards. wink

All that being said... i'm afraid now we need to talk about the blasphemy of running desktop icons in Openbox.....

lol!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#67 2017-08-15 00:24:42

fungus
Website

I just finished my day playing with the latest 32bit Miyo, amazing stuff.  It run
like a champ on a 64bit system.  Tomorrow I may get a chance to play with
it on real 32bit celeron with just enough ram to load the keyboard firmware smile
The real test.

#68 2017-08-15 02:04:30

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Thanks! But you have that backwards, there wouldn't be a Vuu-do if there wasn't a Miyo, i'm happy being number two as long as I don't have to try harder. big_smile

MiyoLinux wrote:

and thanks to greenjeans for being such an inspiration.

This also, you have backwards. wink

All that being said... i'm afraid now we need to talk about the blasphemy of running desktop icons in Openbox.....

lol!

gj, friend...you just don't realize how much of an inspiration you are. I can feel your excitement in your projects. smile

As far as icons on the desktop...somebody had to do it. LOLOLOL! wink  I saw it as just another way to hopefully get more people interested in Openbox. To me, it's the perfect DE...or lack thereof. tongue

fungus wrote:

I just finished my day playing with the latest 32bit Miyo, amazing stuff.  It run
like a champ on a 64bit system.  Tomorrow I may get a chance to play with
it on real 32bit celeron with just enough ram to load the keyboard firmware smile
The real test.

So I'm not the only one who runs 32bit on 64bit systems? big_smile

Thank you for giving it a spin! Since I'm the only tester for Miyo, I'm interested in what you find. Just a word of possible advice...

If you disable PCManFM's control over the desktop in the Autostart file, it will save you about +/- 30 MBs of RAM usage...just be sure to enable Nitrogen in the autostart file too so that it will handle the wallpapers.

The upcoming secondary release will be available soon...I hope. Then users can choose from this most recent release or the new one. The new one is just something I'm doing for fun...'cause I'm stinkin' just that way. LOLOLOL!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-15 02:55:23)

#69 2017-08-15 12:22:34

fungus
Website

#70 2017-08-15 13:37:50

fungus
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Thank you for giving it a spin! Since I'm the only tester for Miyo, I'm interested in what you find. Just a word of possible advice...

Unfortunately it didn't run.  It booted ok and went to desktop, then I right clicked and that was it, like the previous edition. It may be some old hardware incompatibility.
What I am going to try next is instal miyo into a usb stick and boot from that as a real non-live installation so then I can inspect the logs.
Devuan Jessie and openbox/lightdm is already installed in the same machine by transforming a Debian wheezy into devuan jessie.
Apart from being understandably slow with the desktop it works.

You are not the only Miyo tester, there must be more among the hundreds downloading the image.

If I didn't find it so amazing I would not bother testing it.  Plus my ascii installation in my work pc is Miyo with some additions.

#71 2017-08-16 03:04:41

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Unfortunately it didn't run.  It booted ok and went to desktop, then I right clicked and that was it, like the previous edition. It may be some old hardware incompatibility.
What I am going to try next is instal miyo into a usb stick and boot from that as a real non-live installation so then I can inspect the logs.
Devuan Jessie and openbox/lightdm is already installed in the same machine by transforming a Debian wheezy into devuan jessie.
Apart from being understandably slow with the desktop it works.

You are not the only Miyo tester, there must be more among the hundreds downloading the image.

If I didn't find it so amazing I would not bother testing it.  Plus my ascii installation in my work pc is Miyo with some additions.

Aw man...sorry to hear that! I wonder how much the RAM may play a part? On my 32 bit machine, if I disable PCManFM from controlling the desktop (and enable Nitrogen for wallpapers), it boots up at around 85-90 MBs of RAM. Still, that can only happen AFTER booting into the desktop and changing it.

I'm in the middle of testing my latest miyo-ostrosity. big_smile

So far, everything is working great. I'm calling it Miyo-XTRA. No...there aren't any "extra" applications. Here's a screenshot of what the "extra" is. I wanted to include this in the latest release, but I figured I was pushing the envelope too far by including desktop icons. LOL! tongue

So, I've made this as a separate release.. Unless I find something wrong, I hope to upload them to Sourceforge within the next 24 hours.

A quick glimpse at Miyo-XTRA...(click to enlarge)...

miyo-xtra.png?1502851952

#72 2017-08-16 08:37:00

fungus
Website

Docky is fun but I have gotten it to freeze up on me a couple of times (too many configuration changes all at once ?).
Another low resource robust simple dock is plank.
I am also wondering whether the problem with the frozen screen is keyboard related.  It is some very old weird mechanical
"windows" keyboard with a ton of funky windows buttons that may be in conflict with some of the hot-key presets that don't
exist in plain devuan.  But I haven't had much time to investigate much.

Last edited by fungus (2017-08-16 08:58:43)

#73 2017-08-16 20:54:06

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

Docky is fun but I have gotten it to freeze up on me a couple of times (too many configuration changes all at once ?).
Another low resource robust simple dock is plank.

I've never used Docky before (that I can recall). Unfortunately, it froze up with me too. I left the computer on over night, and when I got on it this morning, Docky was frozen. So...it wasn't an issue of too many configuration changes in my situation.

Gonna scrap Docky for that reason and replace it with Plank. I have used Plank in the past and can't remember having any issues with it.

#74 2017-08-17 13:11:54

MiyoLinux

Okay...the Miyo-XTRA releases are uploaded to Sourceforge now.

The only difference between the latest release of MiyoLinux and Miyo-XTRA is that XTRA has "extra" panels to choose from.

1. Tint2
2. LXPanel
3. Xfce4 Panel
4. Plank

Panels can be switched via the menu...

Miyo Accessories > Panel Switcher

No fancy GUI; it's all done through the menu. After all...it's Openbox! big_smile  Why have multiple panels? Because sometimes it's just stinkin' fun to change things around. smile

Oh...and I did add the ability to turn touchpads "off while typing" to the Miyo Tools (accidentally left that option out of the tools in the original release) tongue

Miyo Accessories > Miyo Tools > Off while typing

Okay, I think my work is done for now...I hope. Time to sit back, relax, and ponder all of the "I should've done this, or I should've done that". If I had a man-cave, I'd go there, but I don't have one. Geesh...I don't even have a man-grotto. LOL!

I hope Miyo does well for anyone who tries it. Many thanks again to Devuan, fsmithred, and greenjeans.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/

#75 2017-08-17 16:19:01

fungus
Website

you are king openboxer
how d'ya get lxpanel without the rest of the desktop?  Did you manually delete the rest of the stuff and left lxpanel and dependencies?
I bet the same questions applies about xfcepanel

On the last miyo 64 on pcmanfm the list of partitions DO come up on the left column, which I haven't been able to get done on my ascii or ceres
Devuan openbox.  If I log into lxde they work.
But the list is there but even with complete sudo rights none can be mounted.
Now even on lxde if I run sudo pcmanfm the list does not come up but if the user has mounted them then root has access in the /media/user/** mounted volumes.
I know I had asked before and I am still researching this problem. 
eudev is now on all my installations but the problem pre-existed, it is not related.
All the necessary gvfs tools are installed.

Board footer