The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-01 13:03:14

fab161

Non-free firmware in Devuan Daedalus?

Hello everybody,

as upstream Debian recently voted for the inclusion of necessary non-free firmware blobs within the official installation media, I wonder if Devuan will follow this decision for the upcoming Devuan Daedalus. As far as I am aware, Debian's decision was widely regarded as a positive and user friendly.

On the Devuan side, the current situation for Devuan Chimaera is rather complicated: While the official netinstall images do not include proprietary firmware, the live images with Xfce do. Also, Devuan does not provide "unofficial" netinstaller builds with proprietary blobs as far as I am aware.

Are there any plans to change the current situation within the Devuan project?

Best regards,
Fabian

#2 2023-05-01 14:05:20

Altoid

Re: Non-free firmware in Devuan Daedalus?

Hello:

fab161 wrote:

... upstream Debian recently voted for the inclusion of necessary non-free firmware ...
Are there any plans to change ...

The Dev1 forum does have a 'Search' function. 8^)

That said, I think the answer is here.

Best,

A.

#3 2023-05-01 14:49:07

golinux
Administrator

In Devuan, non-free firmware has always been installed by default. This from https://www.devuan.org/os/install:

Non-free firmware

Non-free firmware packages are available on all install media. These packages will only be installed if required by your wifi adapter. To avoid the automatic installation and loading of needed non-free firmware, choose the Expert install option during the installation process.

The desktop-live and minimal-live images have non-free firmware packages pre-installed. These packages may be removed after boot using the remove_firmware.sh script available under /root.

#4 2023-05-01 17:02:53

fab161

Thank you for the reply. When I installed Devuan via the netinstaller in the past, I had to load the iwlwifi firmware packages from a USB stick.

#5 2023-05-01 22:25:44

GlennW

fab161 wrote:

Thank you for the reply. When I installed Devuan via the netinstaller in the past, I had to load the iwlwifi firmware packages from a USB stick.

.. you might still need to us a usb stick for the modules... if your network chips are new enough.

So, I'd say we haven't seen the end of "insert disk" to proceed.

:-)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#6 2023-05-02 01:08:52

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

It may be worth to note, that all Devuan installer ISOs still come with all firmware in the ISO pool, for installation.

The ISO also has a top level /firmware directory with links to the actual firmware packages within the ISO pool, although that (i.e. having links) doesn't actually work with some CD drives. There have further been some number of installation systems where the installer fails to find the firmware for one reason or another, typically because it fails to mount the ISO. In that case it's handy to have it available on something that can be mounted.

Nowadays (daedalus) non-free firmware packages have been moved into a non-free-firmware section rather than as  previously being in the non-free section.

But that doesn't change the principle that all ISO includes all firmware packages on the ISO. Instead the ISO has that section as well as any firmware still in non-free.

#7 2023-05-03 09:11:24

chomwitt

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

It may be worth to note, that all Devuan installer ISOs still come with all firmware in the ISO pool, for installation.

In my case . Daedalus netinstall iso why didnt contain gpu firmware ?
And what is the ISO Pool ?

Devuan(Chimaera)(Daedalus)  DS+WM: XorgX11server+StumpVM

#8 2023-05-03 09:50:29

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

See https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Format for details.

You may browse the ISO to find out whether or not firmware is there. Though even if so it obviously wasn't loaded "automatically".

#9 2023-05-03 12:15:17

chomwitt

Thanks.

Devuan(Chimaera)(Daedalus)  DS+WM: XorgX11server+StumpVM

Board footer