The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-02-01 16:36:40

fabri

Unity desktop environment

Hello

Is planned for devuan, support this desktop enviroment in the future? or relies on Debian decision to support it?

https://unityd.org/#distros

Unity DE

thanks

#2 2023-02-01 17:36:14

golinux
Administrator

Re: Unity desktop environment

You are free to port Unity to Devuan and offer it to the community.

#3 2023-02-02 14:27:42

MrReplikant

There is already an independent project to port Unity I believe, It wasnt too long ago. I swear I can remember there being a repo, let me see...

Last edited by MrReplikant (2023-02-02 14:31:06)

That's all, folks.

#4 2023-02-04 19:03:15

MLEvD

I'd like to see this, trip down ubuntu memory lane

#5 2023-02-05 02:33:28

zapper

golinux wrote:

You are free to port Unity to Devuan and offer it to the community.

Question, seriously though...

Doesn't unity look similar to Gnome 3?

If it is that one,  that will be a tough task.

Anywho, just wondered

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2023-02-05 03:02:24

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

I have no idea what gnome looks like. I abandoned that ship with the arrival of gnome3. The desktop image provided on the link has all the subtlety of Fisher-Price on steroids and caters to the ADD generation. I don't know how anyone could do serious work in that environment. Gives me a headache . . .

Devuan is not soliciting additional desktops and I am not sure it would even be offcially included unless it gets passed down to us from Debian.

#7 2023-02-05 09:58:31

Camtaf

I abandoned KDE/GNOME many, many years ago, they are just so bloated; normally I would run a WM, but it is very convenient to install from the Devuan Live version of this distro, that I now use XFCE as my primary desktop; I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier/bigger. wink

Last edited by Camtaf (2023-02-05 09:58:59)

#8 2023-03-29 01:36:20

zapper

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

I have no idea what gnome looks like. I abandoned that ship with the arrival of gnome3. The desktop image provided on the link has all the subtlety of Fisher-Price on steroids and caters to the ADD generation. I don't know how anyone could do serious work in that environment. Gives me a headache . . .

Devuan is not soliciting additional desktops and I am not sure it would even be offcially included unless it gets passed down to us from Debian.

Gnome 3 has a look similar to windows 8... although its possible gnome 3 came before that... idk.

Lumina Desktop, Common Desktop Environment are the only ones I might entertain myself, so long as the wallpaper I choose for the startup wouldn't be that mega creepy one with the seahorse and darkness nearby.

The rest is a... no

JWM obviously not a window manager, but I will likely use it until something better comes, which I would doubt will ever happen in the near decade at least as far as my desires.

Btw, unrelated and somewhat off topic, but if you want Fisher Price on steroids, I think Windows 10 has everyone beat, except windows 11 which pushes that off the hill even! tongue

More off topic btw:

I would love to know what fisher price steroids must look like now that you made that comment. Not  because I want them, but because it would be hysterical if someone tried to make some!

You know, like if green giant was known for more than just selling frozen vegetables... think illegal green planet in usa on the nation level. big_smile

Of course if they did that, it would be under the counter. xD

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#9 2023-03-29 04:33:11

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . I think you missed the point. Fisher-Price on steroids and fisher price steroids paint two entirely different mental images . . .

#10 2023-03-29 19:40:36

zapper

golinux wrote:

@zapper . . . I think you missed the point. Fisher-Price on steroids and fisher price steroids paint two entirely different mental images . . .

Yeah that's true... your saying its too much eye candy  or is chidishly lame?

Help me understand here if possible.

Peace Be With us All!

#11 2023-03-29 20:30:01

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . THIS is what I mean by "Fisher Price colors". Eye-shattering!

#12 2023-03-31 15:11:04

zapper

golinux wrote:

@zapper . . . THIS is what I mean by "Fisher Price colors". Eye-shattering!

Hmm so its a negative headache inducing appearance, am I right, or wrong?

Peace Be With us All!

#13 2023-04-01 15:53:47

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . yes

#14 2023-04-02 01:13:14

zapper

golinux wrote:

@zapper . . . yes

Got it...

So essentially, like windows vista or newer.

It would have been nice if eye candy had taken 40+ more years to get as bad as it was in the days of windows vista, let alone xbox 360 and every other grotesque nightmare.

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer