The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-26 22:24:22

l3u

[SOLVED] Starting Samba fails using OpenRC

Hi all :-)

When starting Samba using the default init script on an OpenRC system, it fails:

# /etc/init.d/smbd start
Starting SMB/CIFS daemon: smbd/etc/init.d/smbd: 43: start-stop-daemon: not found
 failed!

This is due to start-stop-daemon living in /sbin/ and this is (for whatever reason) not added to the default PATH. Adding a PATH variable containing /sbin/ to the init script fixes this.

I'm pretty sure this is something Debian won't fix … maybe there's a way this can be fixed for Devuan?

#2 2022-12-26 22:28:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Starting Samba fails using OpenRC

Is this a wind-up? I don't find this in the least bit amusing.

Read https://files.devuan.org/devuan_chimaer … _notes.txt and search for "su ".

Hint: this is not a bug.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-26 22:44:07

l3u

Sorry, this is for sure not intended to be a wind-up!

I'm new to Devuan and trying to migrate a Gentoo machine. I installed Samba and tried to start it … and couldn't.

Apparently, the behavior of a default Debian/Devuan machine differs quite a bit from a Gentoo one. As the installer stated that using OpenRC is experimental and would require some handwork, I supposed this would be such a case.

I e.g. recently setup radicale on a fresh Devuan installation, which could not be started using the shipped init script, see https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5353 (you even commented there), and this turned out to be an actual bug.

I just wanted to help Devuan concerning OpenRC. Sorry for me not knowing all Devuan's peculiarities yet. I hope you Devuan guys are not alway so bad-tempered when it comes to dumb newbie problems :-(

Last edited by l3u (2022-12-26 23:05:28)

#4 2022-12-27 03:14:46

golinux
Administrator

l3u wrote:

I hope you Devuan guys are not always so bad-tempered when it comes to dumb newbie problems :-(

Welcome to Devuan l3u! We are a pretty mellow crowd but can have moments at times. Did you not read Head_on_a_Stick's signature? I don't consider that an excuse but it seems that HoaS thinks it is . . . big_smile

#5 2022-12-27 03:53:43

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

@l3u: you should probably look up stuff about using su

A couple of years ago, su in Debian was changed to a variant that does not impose root's PATH without the - (login) option. That change, together with the slightly earlier change of excluding /sbin and /usr/sbin from user's default path has caused your kind of grievance for many people.

Unfortunately I didn't have any say in those changes, so here we are.

#6 2022-12-27 07:56:01

l3u

Well, that of course explains it. I would never have thought that this could be the cause though …

Thanks for the information! No hard feelings ;-)

I now simply shipped around this (imo odd) behavior by simply creating a file in /etc/profile.d/ (/etc/profile.d/path.sh) with the following content:

PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

Just that I maybe understand this a bit better: What's the point in leaving /sbin out of the PATH? And what's the point of only getting root's PATH when using su - instead of su?!

Last edited by l3u (2022-12-27 08:35:22)

#7 2022-12-27 11:32:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

l3u wrote:

Sorry for me not knowing all Devuan's peculiarities yet. I hope you Devuan guys are not alway so bad-tempered when it comes to dumb newbie problems

I am not a "Devuan guy", I have absolutely nothing to do with the distribution itself. I'm just a random grumpy asshole. And I'm rude to everybody, not just the n00bs. Equality is important to me :-)

And my irritation was due to the sheer number of threads we have had here about this exact same subject. Being a n00b is fine, I'm one myself, but not searching the boards before posting is just criminal. IMO.

golinux wrote:

I don't consider that an excuse

I don't need an excuse to be rude. The signature is there to stop people's feelings being hurt. Not that I care.

l3u wrote:

What's the point in leaving /sbin out of the PATH? And what's the point of only getting root's PATH when using su - instead of su?!

Have you read the manpage? See also https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=905409 ← there's an extensive discussion detailing the reasons for the change.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-12-27 11:33:21)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#8 2022-12-27 11:49:07

l3u

Well, tbh, I don't really consider myself a n00b after having used Gentoo for quite exactly 18 years now ;-)

That behavior was just plain unexpected (to me as a Devuan newbie). And as it was (from my point of view) a similar problem like the Radicale init script one, I simply supposed the init script to be the problem, not Debian's way how su works. Esp. as Devuan doesn't "really" support OpenRC, because it only lets OpenRC execute the Sysvinit init scripts. And states that OpenRC support would be "experimental".

Of course there's no excuse for the "crime" (as you call it) not to have searched the board for a su problem when Samba won't start, but – and I again beg your pardon – this interconnection was in no way clear to me, esp. facing the fact that I can start other init script with a plain "su" (not "su -") session, beacuse they do include a PATH statement containing "/sbin". May other newbies with this very problem find this thread to avoid such posts in the future.

But I think this issue is now solved, and I learned that Debian's su works in an odd way (if I'm very bored some time, I'll read through the lengthy disussion you linked to find out why Debian acts in another way as other distributions do here. But for now, I simply accept it as a given fact).

So everything is good concerning this … at least for me ;-)

#9 2022-12-27 21:22:57

golinux
Administrator

Debian has it's idiosyncrasies and on top of that Devuan has it's own to counter Debian's. It is always a good idea to read the release notes before installing or configuring.

Are we ready for a group hug?  (Slightly premature) New Year's greetings to everyone!

#10 2022-12-28 09:56:52

aluma

"Improvers" that create problems out of nowhere even for experienced users just push them away, I think. What is the urgent need to move system messages to different folders?
Or changes to su for a user with their own personal computer?

With this, valid errors like this one https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=38544#p38544
and remain in the stable version.

Last edited by aluma (2022-12-28 09:59:49)

#11 2022-12-28 16:43:35

l3u

golinux wrote:

Are we ready for a group hug?

Yeah, of course ;-)

Board footer