The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-11 00:30:13

ljlinde

Setting up User accounts - needs improvement

We have a bout 50 systems in our shop. 
Currently we are using Win 10, SL 6.5 and Sl 7.5. and one Devuan 4.0

Since RH has been IBM-d we plan to update all systems to Devuan.  The two test boxes have been running for about a year.  We can run all of our cad packages and everything works.
The only hard part is to setup users.   We maintain all users with a unique USID over all systems.   So if you need anything just set down to a box and login.
and you have acess to your account and the server.

SL 6.5 uses a dialog that allows you assign a user name, USID, and group.   Shamelessly copy it and add it Devuan

The test box is running an 8 core AMD with 32 G of ram and 4 T Byte disks with a SSD for the OS.  Incredible performance.
Cad Packages we run:
VariCad
Eagle
Spice
Several in house simulations with random access I/O of variables.
VMWare 17:
      NT 2000 so we can access our old autocad files in orrig. format.
      DOs
      Win 7
      Win 10
These are used to support projects from the last 24 years.
What we do is design and build custom embedded system.  Software and hardware.

I am one of those  condesending UNIX user accprding tp Dilbert.

I would also like to make a donation.  Send infol.

We were ready to can a Toshiba 32 bit laptop.  We installed a 1 TB ssd and Devuan and it really came to life.  Runs 32 bit versions of our cad packages with out a problem.  Save us a log of $$ on new laptops.  Just breaks my heart to see investments of 100 or $ put in trash pile.

Thank You
ljlinde

#2 2022-12-11 10:31:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Setting up User accounts - needs improvement

ljlinde wrote:

SL 6.5 uses a dialog that allows you assign a user name, USID, and group.   Shamelessly copy it and add it Devuan

I'm not sure the developers have the time to pander to your whims d00d. They're pretty fucking busy already, from what I understand.

Do you have a link to this magical tool you describe? I can have a look and offer some porting suggestions if you want.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-12-11 10:33:12

rolfie

Have a look at gnome-system-tools. Included is an users and groups dialogue that offers all you want.

#4 2022-12-15 22:54:36

pungentweasel

I think the tool SL used in 6.5 might be "system-config-users". It was removed in RH 7.  (SL uses the same version numbering as RH)

It looks like the application has been abandoned now, but Fedora still has it:
https://than.fedorapeople.org/system-config-users/

You can also get source here:
https://gitlab.com/tallero/system-config-users

You could always try compiling it yourself and see if it works for you. It requires libuser which is available in the Devuan repos.

Also... here you go: https://www.devuan.org/os/donate

Last edited by pungentweasel (2022-12-15 23:20:35)

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. - Matthew 10:16

#5 2023-01-04 08:28:41

lhp

ljlinde wrote:

The only hard part is to setup users.   We maintain all users with a unique USID over all systems.   So if you need anything just set down to a box and login.
and you have acess to your account and the server.

I'm a very new Devuan user, but I guess I could claim being a VUA, having been root on 7 different Unix variants (not counting different Linux distributions) since the early 1990s. Isn't this just a matter of writing a tiny shell/awk/Perl script and/or perhaps setting up a little LDAP server and doing some /etc/nsswitch.conf configuration? Or maybe just good old NIS/YP? You could even distribute /etc/passwd (shadow, group) in a pinch?

#6 2023-01-04 15:55:05

golinux
Administrator

@lhp . . . Welcome to devuan!  Please do share your wisdom . . . smile

Board footer