Hi everyone,

in my /etc/apt/sources.list I got

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera main
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates main
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main

Should I add

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main contrib

as seen on https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2506

and what is http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main contrib ?

Thanks.

Last edited by SpongeBOB (2022-10-09 12:09:43)

Linux noob, plz be kind big_smile

#2 2022-10-09 12:56:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Install ZFS

SpongeBOB wrote:

Should I add

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main contrib

No. Just add contrib to the extant chimaera repositories.

SpongeBOB wrote:

and what is http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main contrib ?

That's the main mirror for the ASCII release. You should prefer deb.devuan.org to avoid stressing the main mirror unnecessarily.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-10-09 13:25:34

SpongeBOB

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

No. Just add contrib to the extant chimaera repositories.

Thank you HOAS !

To the 3 of them then ? like this ?-->

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera main contrib
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates main contrib
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security main contrib

#4 2022-10-09 13:38:06

SpongeBOB

I found few documentations on how to install ZFS on Debian

With different way -->

sudo apt install linux-headers-amd64
sudo apt install -t bullseye-backports zfsutils-linux

sudo apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r) linux-image-amd64 spl kmod

do I need any of this ? and is it working for Devuan ? or do we (devuan community) have a package that install all the necessary ?

Thanks.

#5 2022-10-09 13:38:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Yes, I would add it to all three. Point release updates originate in chimaera-updates; chimaera-security supplies updates from the Debian Security Team[0]. You need both, ideally.

[0] So good they're always Capitalised.

EDIT: yes, you need the headers to build the ZFS module. Install the linux-headers-amd64 metapackage, that will always depend on the latest version.

The best approach to prepare the system for custom module builds such as ZFS is:

# apt install module-assistant
# m-a prepare

^ That should pull in everything you need to build the modules, no need to specify header versions or anything else.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-10-09 13:41:42)

#6 2022-10-10 00:38:21

GlennW

zfsutils-linux maybe in backports... for chimaera.

You may add backports the same way you added contrib, as mentioned above.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#7 2022-10-10 06:01:57

SpongeBOB

So with my /etc/apt/sources.list

set like this

deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera       main contrib
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-updates       main contrib
deb http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera-security      main contrib

then entering the following commands

# apt update
# apt install module-assistant
# m-a prepare
# apt install zfsutils-linux

accepting the splash screen about the licenses conflict

here what I got in the last lines

zzstd.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
 - Original module
   - No original module exists within this kernel
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/5.10.0-18-amd64/extra/zstd/zzstd/

depmod...

DKMS: install completed.
Setting up libzpool4linux (2.0.3-9) ...
Setting up linux-headers-amd64 (5.10.140-1) ...
Setting up zfsutils-linux (2.0.3-9) ...
modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.0-9-amd64
modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.10.0-9-amd64
invoke-rc.d: initscript zfs-import, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package zfsutils-linux (--configure):
 installed zfsutils-linux package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zfs-zed:
 zfs-zed depends on zfsutils-linux (>= 2.0.3-9); however:
  Package zfsutils-linux is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package zfs-zed (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-9-amd64
Errors were encountered while processing:
 zfsutils-linux
 zfs-zed
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

and when I do a lsmod | grep zfs I got nothing hmm

any ideas ?

Last edited by SpongeBOB (2022-10-10 06:03:25)

#8 2022-10-10 15:30:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

SpongeBOB wrote:

here what I got in the last lines

What about the text before that? Did the zfs module build successfully? It's always best to post full logs and error messages; link to a pastebin site if they're very large.

#9 2022-10-10 20:41:03

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

If you installing without "recommends", you might also need the explicit

apt-get install zfs-modules

to trigger their building.

#10 2022-10-11 06:45:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Ah, is Refracta running without Recommends then? BunsenLabs also does that, despite my advice to the contrary.

#11 2022-10-11 11:49:45

steve_v

Wow, this is turning into an ordeal. Really not sure why, it should be as simple as:

apt install linux-headers-amd64 zfs-modules zfsutils

All three are metapackages, and should select linux-headers-{version}-{arch}, zfs-dkms, and zfsutils-linux respectively... Or at least they do on my minimal chimera install, with both recommends and suggests disabled.

Add

apt install zfs-zed

if you want event monitoring (you do),

apt install zfs-auto-snapshot

if you want automatic snapshotting from cron, and

apt install zfs-initramfs

if you want to be able to do root-on-zfs.

Aside, you might also prefer the 2.1.5 packages from chimera-backports, there have been some improvements...

Otherwise, yeah, full output needed to see why the zfs and spl modules are not being installed.

FWIW, I did have a bit of fun getting my filesystems mounted at boot after a beowulf -> chimaera upgrade, it would appear the init scripts for 2.0.3 and 2.1.5 are both kinda broken (WRT LSB depends and ordering), this commit puts things back how (IMO) they should be.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Refracta

On that note... Any particular reason we're moving to that (unmentionable, IME) thing instead of using the venerable debian-installer? I mean, we kinda have a serviceable wheel already, no?

Last edited by steve_v (2022-10-11 12:09:05)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#12 2022-10-14 20:13:20

golinux
Administrator

steve_v wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Refracta

On that note... Any particular reason we're moving to that (unmentionable, IME) thing instead of using the venerable debian-installer? I mean, we kinda have a serviceable wheel already, no?

Refracta has been around for AGES. Here's one of the first posts brought up in a search from 2009-05-07 on FDN.

could always try http://refracta.org/ it truly is debian with a slimmer and lighter default install

Refracta has been the default live installer for Devuan since jessie.

Refracta snapshot and installer are invaluable tools for sooo many users.  Have you ever actually tried it?

refracta.org has been up for a long time and many derivatives of various Linux distros use it. I use refractasnapshot to create a backup image in case things go south.

My current installation is based on the refracta version of chimaera (no install recommends and other nice defaults). Yeah, I'm a fan . . . big_smile

#13 2022-10-15 00:28:03

steve_v

golinux wrote:

Have you ever actually tried it?

Somewhere around 2010, yeah, sure. I was aghast at the lack of questions and spent more time removing stuff later than it would have taken me to just do a netinstall to begin with.

It felt like a slightly janky desktop-centric toy for one-man remixes TBH, the defaults were not even remotely what I wanted, and a netinst image + rsync already served nicely for backups. So I've ignored it ever since.

Then again, I don't run Devuan on any desktops and I never have. I haven't used anything but netinstall for as long as I can remember, and I currently have exactly one Debian box with a GUI... And that's Etch on a K6-2. tongue

So yeah, "easy" live desktop installers that don't ask enough questions aren't my thing, at all. I want my installers to ask me what I want to install (with verbosity and granularity), otherwise what's the point?

Last edited by steve_v (2022-10-15 00:31:24)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#14 2022-10-15 00:59:36

golinux
Administrator

@steve_v . . . Isn't choice the point of free software? The desktop-live installs a default Xfce desktop using the refractainstaller. Nothing more. Nothing less. All the descriptions on the website and elsewhere say exactly that so you shouldn't have expected it to do anything else.

The Refracta derivative is customized with different options that make it Refracta based on Devuan.

#15 2022-10-15 02:44:57

steve_v

golinux wrote:

Isn't choice the point of free software?

Actually it's... Freedom. Choice is just a side-effect of the "freedom to modify" bit.

Choice is, on the other hand, the reason I moved away from Debian, and the reason I'm steadily moving away from binary distros in general. Primarily, that's the choice to not install 500lbs of crap I don't want or use.

For example: Want to install ffmpeg just for CLI transcoding? Too bad, guess you'll need a bunch of X libraries, GLX stuff, fonts you'll never use, and vulkan headers (FFS) as well... Because Debian / Devuan compiles against every possible thing, and seems to be more and more aimed at desktop deployments by the day.
For another, have a look at the unholy mess in /etc on a "modern" binary distro, and ask yourself: How much of this do I use, and how much do I even know what it's for?

Frankly I find this all extremely annoying, and If I have to recompile a bunch of stuff just to get a simple, understandable OS without a heap of redundant kitchen-sink functionality and 50 abstraction layers for everything, I might as well just build the whole system from source to begin with.

Anyway, this is horribly off-topic. Maybe if the OP replies someday...

#16 2022-10-15 03:02:14

golinux
Administrator

steve_v wrote:

Choice is, on the other hand, the reason I moved away from Debian, and the reason I'm steadily moving away from binary distros in general. Primarily, that's the choice to not install 500lbs of crap I don't want or use.

And you have that choice installing with either the netinstall or the mini-iso. Even CD 1 of the 4 CD set should get you a very minimal install.

steve_v wrote:

Anyway, this is horribly off-topic. Maybe if the OP replies someday...

Yeah . . . I may split it off a bit later . . .

#17 2022-10-20 05:27:28

steve_v

golinux wrote:

To follow up on that, I just installed chimaera on a thinkpad X230, from the default live image, with refracta...
My opinion remains unchanged - What a clunky, janky, unprofessional POS.

Random terminal windows and GTK dialogs spawning all over the screen, uncloseable windows, dialogs with no content... Then I cancelled the debconf for keyboard layout to see what would happen - and the thing just started copying the system anyway, with no further interaction or chance to back out.
Speaking of that, there's no "go back" in any of the questions at all. Seriously, I think I could write a better install process myself in zenity and bash.
Slackware had a better installer in 1999 FFS, it even such shockingly "modern" features as navigable menus and package selection. roll

Remind me how this disaster is an improvement over d-i again?

At least the default desktop configuration is almost sensible, though I could really do without all the networkmanager/pulseaudio/garbage-kit bloat TBH.
Aside, and a minor niggle to be sure, but why exactly do LARGER FONTS and SMALLER FONTS need priority placement on the desktop and their own icons? XFCE had a fine settings app last time I looked, and clearing redundant trash off the desktop really shouldn't be the very first activity after a clean install IMO.

#18 2022-10-20 06:42:56

golinux
Administrator

steve_v wrote:
golinux wrote:

To follow up on that, I just installed chimaera on a thinkpad X230, from the default live image, with refracta...

I really appreciate that you gave it a spin.

steve_v wrote:

Seriously, I think I could write a better install process myself in zenity and bash.

Show us the code and maybe we'd use it!!! big_smile

steve_v wrote:

Remind me how this disaster is an improvement over d-i again?

Different strokes for different folks. It can be quite useful to test a distribution live before going through the hassle of installing.  The installaion just copies files; no downloading needed unless you request it. Then with refractasnapshot you can create a live iso of your running installed system which is very handy for backup.

steve_v wrote:

I could really do without all the networkmanager/pulseaudio/garbage-kit bloat TBH.

Are you sure that pulseaudio is installed? I have been running Devuan since 2015 and pulseaudio has never been installed. apulse gets the job done quite nicely. IIRC that is the default even for the installer isos. I don't need networkmanager because I am always wired and with a window manager, I'm pretty sure you can get rid of all the polkit stuff . . . All of that objectionable stuff would be installed with the default desktop even using the installer iso so your complaints are a bit of a thud . . ..

#19 2022-10-31 22:37:41

Matlib
Website

apulse doesn't always work unfortunately. It causes Firefox to freeze on my laptop.

One very bad thing about DKMS is that it launches all build commands as root. After some decades they finally moved wget to _apt, so maybe module builder will also get its own user _dkms by the end of 2030's.

#20 2023-05-21 01:41:58

Standardpoodle

SpongeBOB wrote:

any ideas ?

Your problem is that the modules you build need to be built for the version of the running kernel of the livecd. So you need to manually download the matching version of kernel headers and a few other things. For some reason it otherwise pulls in slightly newer versions of all the relevant stuff, builds the modules accordingly and finds out that it has nothing for your running kernel. I think you need

linux-compiler-gcc-10-x86_5.10.158-2_amd64.deb
linux-headers-5.10.0-16-amd64_5.10.127-2_amd64.deb
linux-headers-5.10.0-16-common_5.10.127-2_all.deb and
linux-kbuild-5.10_5.10.158-2_amd64.deb

or whatever uname -r tells you. Do not get confused by package version (5.10.127-2) versus kernel version (5.10.0-16), or the other way round (see, like I just did).

Last edited by Standardpoodle (2023-05-21 13:32:25)

Board footer