The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2022-10-02 17:05:04

Camtaf

Re: Xfce 4.18 at Christmas

MiyoLinux wrote:

Yet, with what little I know of #! from just some web-perusing, it would appear to me that both the Star and Crowz derivatives of Devuan are similar to what #! was???

Pretty close..... big_smile

#27 2022-10-02 17:07:55

Altoid

Hello:

MiyoLinux wrote:

I never had the pleasure of using #!

Then see if you can get yourself an install or live *.iso.

Just to try it out and see how very good it was.
The Waldorf version may be a bit dated but should without issues run on common 4/5 year old hardware.
ie: not bleeding edge stuff.

It was (at the time) a real eye opener for me and led me straight to Devuan.

MiyoLinux wrote:

... would appear to me that both the Star and Crowz derivatives of Devuan are similar to what #! was?

No idea, have never tried/installed them.

I may have downloaded them both (when I was looking for a new distribution to replace Mint/PCLinuxOS, etc. and burned the *.iso to a stick.
But if after all the routine checks (file and media) it did not boot the first time around, I would discard it from the list.

I stopped looking when I found Devuan.
And I will stay with it even if the powers that be insist on Xfce.

I'll just see how I can manage to do things the #! way.

Or maybe the Devuan maintainers could eventually write up a script to set up a #! type desktop in Devuan.
ie: an Openbox meta package of sorts.

I seem to recall PCLinuxOS (?) had a meta package for installing PegasusMail which pulled in all the necessary files and configurations to set it up along Wine.

Very neat, simple and straightforward as you did not have to wrangle with Wine.

Best,

A.

#28 2022-10-03 01:29:38

hunter0one

golinux wrote:

More GTK3 ...
... intractable CSD ...

Speaking of GTK3, why hasn't GTK2 been forked yet? The vast majority of desktop environments use GTK, and not a single one has put their foot down and said GTK2 is as good as it gets. Not even MATE, which is supposed to let GNOME 2 live on. Now we're stuck in a situation where you either use a toolkit with built-in window decoration and Adwaita crap or one with Breeze crap and the rest of KDE's mess on top of it. Pick your poison.

#29 2022-10-03 02:14:29

andyprough

MiyoLinux wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Unfortunately Openbox is GTK2 based and GTK2 went EOL some time ago but some people like obsolete software, apparently.

I'm not trying to stir up anything here, but I seem to recall a certain person...whom I won't name...but I might be quoting the unnamed person in this post...also had/has their own Openbox respin? I know, because I tried it.

So, it would appear that some people apparently do like obsolete software and providing it for others to use.

Tee-hee...

big_smile tongue

You know you can still find the 11.1.0 ISO of SharpBang from last October if your DuckDuckGo-foo is strong enough. Pretty awesome distro if I recall correctly. I might have to spin it up and run the updates now that I'm thinking about it. Too bad that a certain un-named person took down their git repo. And I can't find their web page either. Used to be a lot of amazing bits of wisdom on those pages.

#30 2022-10-03 09:08:18

Camtaf

For anyone who is interested in having a look, (not 11.1.0, but will give you the idea of what it was) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/archiveos/files/s/sharpbang/sharpbang-buster-10.2.0-i386.hybrid.iso/download

#31 2022-10-03 13:26:29

Altoid

Hello:

andyprough wrote:

... not trying to stir up anything ...

No ...
Gods forbid.  8^°

andyprough wrote:

... do like obsolete software ...

In my opinion, the term obsolete is a (highly) relative one.

And like many other things in life, it all depends.

eg:
I have heard my (much younger) colleagues say that if you don't know CAD (I refused to ever use it) you are obsolete as an architect.
Somehow they have developed the idea that if you know how to use CAD, not only it turns you into an architect but a good one at that.

But what happens when power goes down, their software goes south just because liucence or whatever or they lose their day's work due to HDD problems?

I'll keep drawing free-hand or with my wooden T-square, triple scale and squares on my drafting table.   
And quickly draw up a set of multi direction internal/aerial views of the project, something which they never learnt how to do without CAD.

I will be able to see and explain the whole project, not just a small sector on a screen, and anyone with a set of eyes will be able to understand it.

So ...
Just who became obsolete in an instant?  8^\*

But I digress ...

andyprough wrote:

... still find the 11.1.0 ISO of SharpBang from last October ...

Indeed, here.(?)
Some backgound also.

Seems like very good quality work, had not seen it before.
IMO, if at all possible, it would be great to add a strictly Devuan version (a meta package?) to the repository as a tool to set up Openbox/Tint2 as the default Devuan desktop.

ie: for those of us who appreciate obsolete things for their true value.

Best,

A.

#32 2022-10-03 13:51:14

Ogis1975
Website

Altoid wrote:

If you are referring to Devuan, I doubt it will die.

I mean xfce smile sorry.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#33 2022-10-03 14:46:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Camtaf wrote:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/archiveos/files/s/sharpbang/sharpbang-buster-10.2.0-i386.hybrid.iso/download

Don't bother with that one, it's ancient and obsolete.

I think I still have the live-build configuration and website squirrelled away somewhere so I'll look at re-hosting it at Sourcehut. Prices depending, obviously.

Sorry for the OT, OP.

EDIT: just remembered the sharp-configs package:

https://software.opensuse.org//download … rp-configs

^ That will "install" SharpBang to a bare system (ie, console only, no desktop, "standard system utilities" only from tasksel).

Then either create a new user from scratch (which should then inherit the desktop configurations) or run this command if the user was created before installing the sharp-configs package:

sharp-user-setup --firstrun

I don't think it will work with Devuan because of NetworkManager but I might be wrong.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2022-10-03 20:10:08)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#34 2022-10-03 18:44:00

jue-gen

I started a discussion with my question about Xfce at Christmas. The answers were very interesting for me. Thank you for that. I don't have anyone here to chat with about this and your views are important to me.

Board footer