The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-22 22:41:45

dvnUsr

How about adding Index >> Discuss >> "Init System"?

How about adding to this forum the heading "Init System" (or similar), under the Index >> Discuss section?

I.e. for discussing init + process supervision + service management?

Last edited by dvnUsr (2022-06-22 22:43:13)

#2 2022-08-04 05:11:52

dvnUsr

Re: How about adding Index >> Discuss >> "Init System"?

Please select one of the following ...

No reply to this thread means:
(a)  Oops, I didn't see this post!  Let me read it now.
(b)  I'm ignoring this because it has already been discussed in another thread.
(c)  I'm ignoring this because init systems have already been thrashed to death.
(d)  This is a great idea but I forgot about it/was too busy; I am going to implement it immediately!
(e)  This is a good idea but I forgot about it/was too busy; I am going to implement it with some mods.
(f)  None of the above.
(g)  I hate multiple choice questions.

#3 2022-08-04 05:51:13

auanta

A

I like this idea

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#4 2022-08-04 12:23:59

Altoid

Hello:

dvnUsr wrote:

Please select one of the following ...

I'm not ignoring your post ...   But it does not seem to be a popular destination, so to speak.
But I agree: that particular topic has already been thrashed to death.

Resurrected and then thrashed to death.
Again.

Fortunately and for the time being Devuan is doing quite alright with what the devs and maintainers have on their respective plates, kudos to them.
I say for the time being because in the present situation, nothing is a given.

Keeping Devuan Linux working in spite of the systemd onslaught on the Linux ecosystem takes a lot of work.

That said ...

In my opinion, there's no "Init System" discussion needed.
Besides, it would probably attract the usual pro-systemd crowd.
Not needed either, at least here at Devuan.

What is needed is help in testing and bug reporting when those things arise.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2022-08-04 12:26:43)

#5 2022-08-04 15:21:33

golinux
Administrator

There is currently a discussion on the DNG mail list and skarnet is in the mix. It is a moderated list. Sign up and your first post will appear when I release it.

On this forum a thread in the Devuan topic would probably suffice,

As to whether there are enough init-knowledgeable users here . . . that remains to be seen. I predict a lot of thrashing . . .  big_smile

#6 2022-08-04 15:35:56

golinux
Administrator

Altoid wrote:

Fortunately and for the time being Devuan is doing quite alright with what the devs and maintainers have on their respective plates, kudos to them. I say for the time being because in the present situation, nothing is a given.

Keeping Devuan Linux working in spite of the systemd onslaught on the Linux ecosystem takes a lot of work.

Yes . . . your assumption is correct . . . but we are a small team of individuals so the "bus factor" hangs over our heads. There is always "thrashing" in the community but very little interest in actually participating in the process. This model is not sustainable long term. Unless the community stops jawing and starts doing . . .

#7 2022-08-05 04:18:39

auanta

Ha! Didn't occur to me there would be init wars... I was thinking op was talking more about users sharing configuration tips and tricks, that would be more productive than debating stuff. But yeah, it could just be a thread in DIY.

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#8 2022-08-09 06:44:18

dvnUsr

Thank you for the replies.

I am definitely no init expert - I wouldn't even class myself as "intermediate".  I do however have an interest.

My intention was that the "Init System" heading would be for discussing everything (bugs, tips, experiences etc) about init etc in Devuan, or init slated for Devuan.  So, maybe I should have been more specific, including suggesting "Devuan Init" as the title??

E.g. I have recently reinstalled Artix + s6 because I have an interest in the latter, and I see it is slated for Devuan in the (distant?) future. My aim is to understand how it is configured in Artix (the s6 suite has changed moderately compared to 2 years ago), and post any significant/interesting findings somewhere here.  I am also interested in whether s6 is seen as an improvement or not, when compared to the existing Devuan inits (does it do anything better?)

I wholeheartedly agree that we don't want time-wasting "versus systemd" discussions.  Apologies for my poor suggestion of a heading.

That DNG mail list is interesting reading; thank you for that.

I do very much appreciate all the volunteer time that goes into Devuan.

#9 2022-08-09 08:32:45

Camtaf

Unless the community stops jawing and starts doing . . .

Unfortunately, I'm just a desktop user, tried a bit of programming years ago, but never managed to get far, & only use the basics of most programs, i.e. I don't even change the look & feel of a distro, other than the desktop wallpaper, but I spread the word about our distro as best I can, & help by answering questions on the forum when I can too. smile

#10 2022-11-10 11:43:24

efrain15

interesting information

Last edited by efrain15 (2022-11-10 11:44:22)

Board footer