The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-01-14 07:53:07

hevidevi

Devuan look and feel

just an idea for the wallpaper, maybe get the community involved and have a contest for the next one?

I dont have the expertise to do any theming and i dont have the time either.

#2 2022-01-14 16:37:26

golinux
Administrator

Re: Devuan look and feel

With all that needs to be done, changing the wallpaper is definitely not on the to TODO list.

#3 2022-01-15 07:40:49

hevidevi

golinux wrote:

With all that needs to be done, changing the wallpaper is definitely not on the to TODO list.

Fair enough, just an idea for future reference maybe.

#4 2022-01-18 06:30:47

PrimeSuspect

golinux wrote:

Not trying to diminish in any way the tremendous work done by you guys but after a lifetime in marketing it's no surprise to me that most of the successful distros such as Manjaro, EndeavourOS, MX, Mint etc all have big choices of wallpaper. We all know users can be very fickle but the one thing many of them feel a need for is to demonstrate loyalty to their chosen distro by displaying a dedicated wallpaper on their desktop. If there's any objective to increase the user base for Devuan then IMO more wallpaper choices should be a priority.

#5 2022-01-18 11:39:05

hevidevi

What should the color scheme be when the Daedalus release arrives?

#6 2022-01-18 16:51:53

MLEvD

I must confess, I delete most supplied wallpapers before opening the wallpaper chooser, I find they slow down the chooser, and the login screen if it has wallpaper slideshow. On mint I delete all the mint-backgrounds-name and the three largest from the mint-artwork package.

#7 2022-01-18 17:11:22

manyroads
Website

FWIW there are all manner of methods for dealing with desktops. Some distros go to incredible lengths to build elegant themes, POP!_OS, manjaro, garuda, mint; others provide desktop standard layouts (or ultra-simple stuff).  A lot has to do with how the distro views itself. 

I'm not certain where devuan wants to be. If it were me, and it isn't, I'd suggest that devuan operate with offering a single branded DE that is minimalist in nature. Because Devuan is more akin to Debian than anything else that could be xfce.  It need not be at all fancy.

Another option and perhaps better choice would be to highlight a great desktop example from within this community; emphasizing perhaps an elegant, minimalist and unique desktop or wm. One that I like a lot is Miyo. 

If you take an approach like emphasizing one or more respins, while at the same time encouraging all/any Devuan desktop users to roll their own and build respins, you could offer them all(?) to the world to use.  To my mind that might take less work, offer better adverts, and engage a broader audience.

I was under a rock here somewhere....

Last edited by manyroads (2022-01-18 17:12:19)

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#8 2022-01-18 17:32:28

golinux
Administrator

This is a very specific HELP WANTED post that is going to all sorts of unrelated places.

Can we please try to keep the puppy on the newspaper? I'll split some wandering posts off into a new thread after I wake up.

So who is willing to take on this specific task as described in post #1.  Period.

#9 2022-01-18 17:34:40

golinux
Administrator

hevidevi wrote:

What should the color scheme be when the Daedalus release arrives?

That is for those who are willing to participate in the the actual work to decide.

#10 2022-01-19 03:31:04

golinux
Administrator

PrimeSuspect wrote:

If there's any objective to increase the user base for Devuan then IMO more wallpaper choices should be a priority.

Devuan's objective is to provide Debian without systemd.  We are not interested in marketing. Our original intention was to provide a minimal system!  If fsmithred hadn't stepped up to do the live isos and I hadn't gone down the rabbit hole with Hellekin and others to put together the theming and logo etc., there would only have been default desktop theming.

#11 2022-01-19 03:50:44

golinux
Administrator

manyroads wrote:

I'm not certain where devuan wants to be. If it were me, and it isn't, I'd suggest that devuan operate with offering a single branded DE that is minimalist in nature. Because Devuan is more akin to Debian than anything else that could be xfce.

Isn't that what we've been doing for the last 7 years.  All Devuan artwork for Jessie, ASCII, Beowulf and Chimeaera is here.  That includes theming for the Xfce desktop.

#12 2022-01-19 08:21:34

hevidevi

apologies for going off topic golinux. You can close this thread if you like, i was just asking some simple questions and being curious.

#13 2022-01-19 10:06:20

Camtaf

Why not just stick to what we have(?).

Why do we need to keep on changing it(?).

You could always include the release name in small letters at the bottom right or left of the 'official' background.
(If you wanted it identifying as a new release).

Last edited by Camtaf (2022-01-19 10:08:28)

#14 2022-01-19 16:14:35

golinux
Administrator

Camtaf wrote:

Why not just stick to what we have(?).

Exactly . . . with one caveat. An associated color identity for each release is helpful.  Recycling them as the official release default is likely to cause confusion.

Camtaf wrote:

Why do we need to keep on changing it(?).

As to the layout . . . no need to change it at all.

Camtaf wrote:

You could always include the release name in small letters at the bottom right or left of the 'official' background.
(If you wanted it identifying as a new release).

That is one possibility but not really the best solution. In any case . . . I understand all the themes are working in Daedalus.  If at some point that changes or if Xfce becomes unworkable, it will be back to square one.

#15 2022-01-19 18:42:54

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

. . . with one caveat. An associated color identity for each release is helpful.

Yes ...

But as helpful as it may be, (in my opinion, ymmv) I think the amount of work involved is a luxury we cannot afford.
There's more than enough for Devuan to do as things stand to just continue existing.

ie: golinux's brave efforts are pointed at something that is excessively burdensome, complex and (again, imo) unnecessary.

Devuan could, for example, decide on a trademark/specific colour on which we could all vote. (cringes at the prospect ...)
Then each release would have a distict 'seal' so to speak, all seals designed according to a certain defined style.

eg: Beowulf the head of the mythical hero, chimaera the head of the mythical beast, an so on.

There would then be only one thing to change: the 'seal' for each release, like the back side of conmemorative coins, within certain pre-established design parameters.

Now, if that causes any confusion, you could just add a whole number after/above/below it and use uname -a to get the details.

Just an idea.

Best,

A.

#16 2022-01-19 19:23:38

golinux
Administrator

Altoid wrote:

Hello:

golinux wrote:

. . . with one caveat. An associated color identity for each release is helpful.

Yes ...

But as helpful as it may be, (in my opinion, ymmv) I think the amount of work involved is a luxury we cannot afford.

I took on that burden because I am an extremely visual person.  And yes it is (or was) a labor of love for Devuan to be beautiful (IMO) as well as functional.

Altoid wrote:

There's more than enough for Devuan to do as things stand to just continue existing.

This is also true.  Yet in all the bike-shedding that is currently going on, except for aitor, not one comment has come from a Devuan contributor (afaik).

Altoid wrote:

ie: golinux's brave efforts are pointed at something that is excessively burdensome, complex and (again, imo) unnecessary.

Isn't all art ultimately "unnecessary".  Yet, it has a purpose.  Jaromil understands this.  All I know is that my efforts have been appreciated by many Devuan users.

Altoid wrote:

Devuan could, for example, decide on a trademark/specific colour on which we could all vote. (cringes at the prospect ...)

Heaven help us all . . .

Altoid wrote:

Then each release would have a distinct 'seal' so to speak, all seals designed according to a certain defined style.

Yes, the release name could be added to the wallpaper and elsewhere.  We have already been mulling over just continuing with Chimaera theming going forward.

Altoid wrote:

eg: Beowulf the head of the mythical hero, chimaera the head of the mythical beast, an so on.

Just text would be sufficient or we will be in perpetual bike-shedding . . .

Altoid wrote:

There would then be only one thing to change: the 'seal' for each release, like the back side of commemorative coins, within certain pre-established design parameters.

Now, if that causes any confusion, you could just add a whole number after/above/below it and use uname -a to get the details.

Just an idea.

Your input is appreciated.  smile

#17 2022-01-19 20:27:05

Altoid

Hello:

golinux wrote:

... a labor of love for Devuan to be beautiful ...

There can be no doubt about that.

golinux wrote:

Isn't all art ultimately "unnecessary".

No, I don't think so.

I for one find it to be an essential part of human existence/experience.
Now and 64K years ago.
From the Maltravieso cave in Spain to Rembrandt's Night Watch, any Turner, Modigliani, Klimt or Schiele, just to name a few. 

golinux wrote:

All I know is that my efforts have been appreciated ...

Please do count me among them.

golinux wrote:

... release name could be added to the wallpaper ...
... continuing with Chimaera theming going forward.
Just text would be sufficient ...

Indeed.
I fully agree with that.

golinux wrote:

Your input is appreciated.  smile

Thank you for that.
Hopefully, I may eventually be able to contribute more.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2022-01-19 20:27:54)

#18 2022-01-20 16:51:37

golinux
Administrator

Altoid wrote:

. . . Then each release would have a distinct 'seal' so to speak, all seals designed according to a certain defined style.  eg: Beowulf the head of the mythical hero, chimaera the head of the mythical beast, an so on.

Just wanted to clarify one thing here as a caution to never make assumptions (which humans all too often do). The chimaera that inspired the "deepsea" theme should have been a clue that it wasn't the chimaera described above.  It was the pointy-nosed blue chimaera Hydrolagus trollismile  Nice video at the bottom . . .

#19 2022-01-21 13:01:05

Altoid

golinux wrote:

... as a caution to never make assumptions ...

As a human, guilty as charged.
But (just for fun) allow me to argue in my defense.  8^) 

As I reflected on your reply, I immediately recalled having both seen your post with the chimaera 'fish' photo (strangest I have ever seen, no fin tail) and its being the inspiration to Devuan's current theme, which I hope we keep for the long run.

But here's the thing®: the word chimarea has been in my head for ~ 50 years or more, always associated to a mythical/impossible beast of some sort.
A great many variations have been put forth, most of them take the idea of impossible to really great lengths.

A more reasonable lion headed, winged dragon with horns and two front legs comes to mind.
Nice ...
But never actually seen one, not even in photos.

Which is not the case with the chimaera 'fish' which I assume (again) is real for there are videos/photos etc. which would support its existence.

In my mind (ymmv) if it is real it cannot be a chimaera, hence my (all too human) assumption.

golinux wrote:

Nice video at the bottom . . .

Quite so. 8^D

Thanks for the heads up.
Have a good week-end.

Best,

A.

#20 2022-01-21 16:31:58

golinux
Administrator

@Altoid . . . Thing is . . . the task requires a color palette and a descriptive image doesn't provide that. Thanks for the input.

#21 2022-01-27 20:00:01

Danielsan

I feel ashamed because I always wanted to help but never had time to do, starting from the logo.

I am professional designer with plenty of experience also with open-source tools, I am willing to help but I can't focus on this task: I forgot the meaning of free-time; but I can surely mentoring and help with tips and recommendation who want working on this even if he/she feels doesn't have enough experience or skills in the design field.

#22 2022-04-15 01:52:08

czeekaj

I know nothing of GTK3 theming. All I know so far is modifying basic hex values.
I'll look into it I see some documentation is a place to start. One thing I miss on the Clear looks theme is the Workspace squares changing color when hovered over. I'll see if I can re-introduce that.
It'd also be an excuse to make my GTK2 and Gtk3 colour palates match perfectly. Currently if you look close there are discrepancies on the theme I am using.
If I have time I'd throw in a openbox pallet with it. No promises, but I'd love to try and contribute something helpful.

#23 2022-04-15 01:58:57

golinux
Administrator

@czeekaj - There has been a customized Clearlooks-Phenix-* theme for each Devuan release. Take a look here for some theming tips.  Clearlook-Phenix is down the page a bit. Might give you some ideas.

#24 2022-04-15 05:01:51

czeekaj

It would be a shame to break tradition.
I tampered around a little bit in the past
However, I also cannot find any way to make a dark theme with clearlooks. If some one knows what Clearlooks is missing, would be nice in the future. (mostly the scroll bars and other side elements I can't seem to figure how to manipulate)

But yes. building another color pallet tough choice on the colour. I'd have no issues manipulating the files or the Desktop / grub image colours. Most tedious part would be the widgets. But most of the ground work is already done.

Edit:
I've got two colour variations in the works. I have a couple discrepancies I'll have to track down. Definitely not ready. One theme the widgets (Check boxes and the like are still Cinnabar.) The other I have some gtk3 text that is slightly out. Sigh, I flipped too many switches now I have to figure out where I went wrong. I am tweaking the openbox themes yet. I'm kinda liking what this is looking like. I've just icons and wallpapers to work on. I did the xfwm4 title bars no problem.

@golinux Where should I dump the themes I am working on? Once they get close to 'complete' I would like to get some feed back, maybe some help. I am fairly certain the more I look at it the more I will tweak it that was a good suggestion in the guide.

Last edited by czeekaj (2022-04-17 08:20:03)

Board footer