The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-11-13 18:11:27

entropyagent

Re: How to have updated firefox-esr in Chimaera?

rolfie wrote:

Very simple: firefox-esr is not a genuine Devuan package, it is a Debian inheritance.

I am not sure how the Debianness of the inheritance gets in the way of Devuan informing its users that the default browser is no longer supported, so they can make alternate, suitably informed plans?

In my limited and dimly-recalled experience of informing users of problems and issues, the task is a LOT easier if there is someone else (Firefox? Debian?) to blame. (Of course, that's probably not something I would have said out loud at the time )

Come to think of it - is this an issue with Chromium as well?

#52 2021-11-13 18:31:18

golinux
Administrator

@entropyagent . . . Perhaps an attitude adjustment is warranted. Instead of bitching and telling Devuan what to do, you could actually CONTRIBUTE something to Devuan by becoming the official tracker of "no longer supported browsers".  Post to DNG and start a thread in News & Announcements and update as necessary.  Ball is in your court.

#53 2021-11-13 19:57:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

entropyagent wrote:

is this an issue with Chromium as well?

Oh no, the chromium problem is *much* worse because Google don't offer an LTS version and Debian really can't keep up with the steady stream of new vulnerabilities:

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra … e/chromium

But hey, the big G offers a Chrome .deb that should be compatible with Devuan. The telemetry for that makes FF looks like a paragon of privacy but you know that, right?

EDIT: god I love shitposting. It's so exhilarating big_smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-11-13 19:59:30)

antifa ftw!

#54 2021-11-14 00:20:57

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

EDIT: god I love shitposting. It's so exhilarating big_smile

Always entertaining and you are allowed to do so here . . . smile

#55 2021-11-24 08:56:09

rdav

mmaglis wrote:

I do not recommend mixing package repositories from different releases. It will mess and eventually destroy your system.

This fine page https://www.devuan.org/os/packages explains the use of backports package source.
It is advised to disable backports and only enable to install specific packages.
More advanced users may be able to give backports a lower priority (apt pinning) and install packages by specifying the target release (-t).
Please consult the apt documentation (e.g. man apt-get)

Check if the required Firefox version is in backports.
Alternatively, you can always download and use the latest Firefox version from upstream:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/a … op-release

Thanks mmaglis for the advice.
FF from Ceres in this Chimaera box has been running fine for the past month.
However due to the issues raised, ie pulling additional packages which could eventually break the system,
I will replace FF with the tar.gz so as to have a stable system and at same time be able to update FF easily.
regards
- r

#56 2021-11-27 10:29:53

Camtaf

I merely downloaded Firefox from their site, used the .deb file, & run it from the created folder in my home directory. smile

#57 Yesterday 22:34:30

rdav

Camtaf wrote:

I merely downloaded Firefox from their site

Thanks Camtaf for this, please share the link you used as FF want to give me the .tar.gz and not the .deb!

Board footer