The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-28 08:18:58

hoopdriver

Devuan, udev, eudev, systemd.udev where are we now ?

I stupidly upgraded my Mint desktop a few weeks ago and have regretted it since.

I started looking round for alternatives and in the process stumbled on the problem with udev.  It was absorbed into systemd a few years ago and this caused a bit of froth so those nice people at Gentoo decided to do eudev... and the world was rosy.

Earlier this year, Gentoo announced eudev was being dropped and they were going to use systemd.udev and I understand the reasoning behind this.

What I'm trying to work out is how eudev being dropped by Gentoo is going to affect all the other distributions that have been using it.  There are other *dev options out there but systemd.udev does seem to be gaining traction.

I can't find anything on this forum regarding the situation, can somebody enlighten me ?

Last edited by hoopdriver (2021-10-28 08:19:40)

#2 2021-10-28 14:02:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Devuan, udev, eudev, systemd.udev where are we now ?

Alpine are packaging libudev-zero for use with busybox's mdev but there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for it.

EDIT: looking at the missing features though I think Devuan should go with systemd-udev plus the openembedded patches *dives for cover*

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-10-28 14:07:03)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-10-28 15:05:45

golinux
Administrator

FYI there is a collaborative project working on eudev including bb|hcb from Devuan and skarnet as well as Alpine devs.

OMG! Lennart and Kay Seivers and GKH are hanging out there too!!

#4 2021-10-28 18:19:40

hoopdriver

Wow - thanks for that.  It would have been nice to find the project myself but there seems to be a bit of a black hole for it.  I spent a few hours looking around on various search engines and the Gentoo forums but couldn't find any reference to eudev continuation - it seemed as if Gentoo had decided that eudev was dead and there was no need for anything other than systemd.udev.

Reading round it seems that systemd.udev wasn't just appropriated by the systemd team, they also re-worked it and improved it so it performs better and isn't as tightly coupled with systemd as expected so can be used without systemd.

It may be that LP, KS & GKH are there to help :-)

#5 2021-10-28 18:41:01

golinux
Administrator

hoopdriver wrote:

Reading round it seems that systemd.udev wasn't just appropriated by the systemd team, they also re-worked it and improved it so it performs better and isn't as tightly coupled with systemd as expected so can be used without systemd.

I would never trust that generosity of co-existence coming from LP et al/Red Hat.

It may be that LP, KS & GKH are there to help :-)

Themselves and their "product" for sure. They have never once offered an option of compromise or collaboration.

Board footer