The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#101 2021-09-18 19:50:19

thierrybo

Re: What other distro are you using (besides devuan)?

none, only Devuan

#102 2021-10-03 15:16:30

hevidevi

I did something i never thought possible. I setup a windows xp virtual machine using qemu in devuan. It sucks in a bad way, i cant believe i used to waste time tinkering on that pos operating system years ago. I mean the xp system works perfectly in qemu which is a testament to qemu and the virtual software in debian/devuan.

Other than tinkering with old microsoft crap im using alpine linux on an encrypted usb for real life transactions.

Last edited by hevidevi (2021-10-03 15:17:43)

#103 2021-10-04 14:24:00

kjpetrie

I use PCLinuxOS on my main PC, and have done so happily since early 2007. I like the rolling release strategy as I have only needed to reinstall twice and can "remaster" the system and create a new ISO to put back exactly what I have with all my configuration if I ever need to do so. Thanks to the skill and dedication of its lead developer it's pretty solid and problems get put right quickly. Like Devuan, it's systemd free.

However, my 64-bit laptop has been broken for about a year, so I needed to reuse an old 32-bit Dell Inspiron 9400 I inherited from my brother. It dates from the days when desktops were built like tanks with clips to hold the lid shut but it's a high spec machine for its day with a massive 1920 x 1200 display and 2GB RAM, so I'd pay quite a lot to get something similar now. So rather than look for a new one I decided it would do for backup and portable device. It does need a new battery though, and I doubt they are made now. Still, it works if I can plug it in.

Anyway, I chose Devuan as it's still compiled for the architecture and I can see the two machines from each other. It works well on this old machine designed for Win XP! It lacks the desktop cube but I can live without that.

On my server I run FreeBSD for stability and security. Of course, that's not a distro since it's not even Linux, but it's a great OS for a server. I'd hate to think what hoops I'd have to jump through to get that working on a laptop. I know people do, but I haven't got time for the challenge.

I'm happy with Devuan and it's familiar enough on the front end for a migrant from PCLinuxOS to adapt to fairly easily. There are some terminal commands I'm used to using which aren't there by default, though I could doubtless install them if I really need them.

Last edited by kjpetrie (2021-10-04 14:44:25)

#104 2021-10-05 12:13:44

nixer

I use PCLinuxOS on my main PC, and have done so happily since early 2007.

It was late 2006 (December 8, 2006 to be exact) for me.  I have read many of your posts before with much enjoyment and gratitude. 

kjpetrie, welcome to the devuan galaxy.

Back on topic, for me, I only use devuan and pclinuxos.  Scenarios for usage are laptop, desktop(s), home theatre pc, and three servers - home, vps, vpn.

Last edited by nixer (2021-10-05 12:14:22)

#105 2022-07-22 20:25:47

Camtaf

Devuan on nearly all my many computers, I seem to collect them..... big_smile

Presently having a look at Void XFCE Live - seems like a good alternative - time will tell. wink

I have bought a couple of thin clients recently; they have only 16GB disks in them - first I installed Fatdog64 on them, but soon replaced with my regular Devuan Live. smile

Also checking out derivatives - Crowz & Star - really liking the minimalism of them - might end up using one of them instead of Devuan Live......

Last edited by Camtaf (2022-07-22 20:26:21)

Board footer