The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-03 00:32:11

golinux
Administrator

Please trim quotes in responses

Everyone . . . PLEASE learn to only quote essential segments of the posts to which you are responding.  It really bloats things to quote the whole thing.  I start to get scroll and attention fatigue seeing all the useless repetition float by . . . Thanks.

#2 2021-10-03 23:52:50

Fa

Re: Please trim quotes in responses

@golinux
Hello could you explain

quote essential segments

um are you saying my first post is too long because I don't see any " Quotes in responses That are long there is a short 1/2 line from @PedroReina
That's it
Thanks
Fa

#3 2021-10-04 00:43:15

golinux
Administrator

Sorry for your confusion Fa.  That was not directed towards you and I should probably move that post to Forum Feedback.

You might have noticed that this thread has gotten shorter.  That is because it was "hijacked" by another topic and I removed those posts to a separate thread.

Those posters are notorious for quoting the COMPLETE message to which they are responding instead of trimming to specific points.  It makes the page very long with useless repetitions and requires endless scrolling which is quite inefficient.

I might move these last three posts actually so don't be upset if you find them missing.  I will do that later or tomorrow though.

#4 2021-10-04 02:07:10

Fa

No you moving the last three post won't bother me no way, I had an idea that that " quote essential segments of the posts " could be a mistake, did not know you had removed some posts, last few days tending to the yard /garden was in need of attention, I have many interests, including not limited to two art projects ongoing, acrylic on canvas and acrylic paint pour that some are used as backgrounds for detailed artwork always wish for more hours on that,  I don't always have time for the computer ( reason for moving away from 'Rolling Releases Bleeding Edge) but fixing this new install will be worth the effort could end up having to reinstalling that's OK ( I'm not an expert just only toe into advance user level )  Have to get that done this week fix or re-install, must do ( tomorrow posting swap partition Question. )

When I see that the reply is quoting all or most of the previous I don't read that, why would I read the same thing twice I'm not absent minded most days, if it's from a few posts back up  then using  ' replying to post No ** seems to be a  better way, it's a much  easier to read.
Just putting it out here is another way provide links to the post (if it's a long thread) instead of quoting ( https://forum.manjaro.org/c/announcemen … le-updates is a good example of that), they are on the right hand side of replies, the arrow pointing up = previous post being answered instead of quoting , the heart button = that works, makes the forum look tidier Using a quote box or big tick for the solution makes easier to find the solution also, instead of see all the distracting eyeball pollution. .

Good Luck
Fa
edit
If you don't want the link in there scrub it . . .

Last edited by Fa (2021-10-04 05:21:20)

#5 2023-10-07 14:12:27

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I searched the forum asking users not do "full quote posting". I could find nothing through the search. Then I found this manually.

If I may, could I suggest that a "Sticky" be enabled for this thread? That way, a user could kindly point another user to this.

#6 2023-10-08 00:30:16

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Thank you! smile

Board footer