The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-07-17 10:19:09

larsH

Re: Audacity and Musescore Spyware problem

Hi

My biggest concern are actually that they plan to stop further development of the sound engine on the Musescore program. And then let you download a free crumbled add on from their website or pay for a better one. So in fact making the program nonfree for practical use. It is nice they come with developer resources, but they are in fact trying to make the program commercial. But lets hope for a fork of that as well  ;-)

Have a nice day
Lars H

#27 2021-07-17 14:55:44

yeti

This may or may not be related...

—▷ [Hackaday 2021-07-16] Just What Have We Become?
—▷ [Hackaday 2021-07-17] Open Source Is Choice

... and I hereby demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

#28 2021-07-17 16:10:36

larsH

Hi

A bit related. With musescore they are rewriting all of the code. And they have removed most comments in the code, so it will be a big challenge for somebody to maintain a fork of the new code because of that. In a way I feel they are "stealing" the program from the current users. And quite a lot of the of developers has left.

Have a nice day.

#29 2021-07-17 19:08:52

yeti

larsH wrote:

And they have removed most comments in the code, so it will be a big challenge for somebody to maintain a fork of the new code because of that. In a way I feel they are "stealing" the program from the current users.

Life can be such a kindergarten sometimes...  :-/

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

#30 2021-07-17 19:40:38

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:

Life can be such a kindergarten sometimes...  :-/

Life among human piranhas . . . not fun . . .

#31 2021-07-17 19:54:08

larsH

No, we need to avoid piranhas. They eat all of us except the bones. But in a way they are violating the purpose of the GPL. By slowly making vital parts of a program non-free. But I do not know if anybody could stand up against violations when they happen. GNU.org ??? Maybe google ?? I have no clue.

#32 2021-07-18 02:34:11

zapper

golinux wrote:

OK everybody . . . please just take a deep breath . . .

Yeah... I did that after I replied...

That being said... this thread has run its course for me...

for the most part anyways....

I might make more replies, but I probably will do it in a more limited fashion...

only wish I had done so sooner....

I should've looked inward before I replied to him... aka, the 2-3 replies before this one. Or more even...

Feel free to laugh, but I feel so silly...

oh well...

But yeah, brocashelm, you don't have to leave. 

You are  right, I should have heeded my own advice...

Ironic, but it happens... sad

Last edited by zapper (2021-07-18 02:38:54)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#33 2021-07-18 09:52:55

mstrohm

larsH wrote:

Hi

A bit related. With musescore they are rewriting all of the code. And they have removed most comments in the code, so it will be a big challenge for somebody to maintain a fork of the new code because of that. In a way I feel they are "stealing" the program from the current users. And quite a lot of the of developers has left.

Have a nice day.

Hmm... when they removed all the code comments without storing them somewhere else to look them up, they will probably suffer from code amnesia in a few months (code amnesia = when you don't remember why something is done in a particular way in the source code). That could lead to slower Audacity development, giving the Tenacity project an advantage. Documentation is important, inside and outside of the source code. If Muse Group thinks otherwise, they may be up to an interesting development adventure.

#34 2021-07-18 10:36:17

larsH

Hi

I know. But they might keep a database or another tool to keep track of the records. I was in the beginning impressed by how one person could add several thousand lines in 100+ files in one commit, and at the same time make more such commits per day. Very efficient. But I am sure there are tools for such jobs. But no one outside of muse knows what is going on. But one one the old developers jojoSchmidt is still there. In case of a fork I am sure he might be the person to clean up the mess.

They do btw. still have some comments in the code. But way fewer than previous versions. If it is enough to let someone from outside hack into it I will not be able decide.

We will have to see what happens. If they remove and commercialize big parts of a GPL program they might be on the edge of violating the license, or at least what it was intended to do. I hope someone will stand up and defend the license in that case. A lot of firms are depending on GPL software, and would probably not be happy if someone steals that. And if they require you to buy or download commercial software in order to achieve core functionality I think it must be considered non-free software and by that violating the GPL. The muse group is by the way registered in San Fransisco.

Have a nice day
Lars H

Last edited by larsH (2021-07-18 10:38:55)

Board footer