The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-04-16 16:32:58

nauved-rex

I had to use sudo to setup my printer

While installing Beowulf using the NetInst ISO, I chose "Standard Utilities" and "Print Server" from tasksel. After rebooting, I installed alsa-utils, xorg, wicd, lxde-core and a handful of other lxde packages. After adding a sound driver to modconf and firmware, I rebooted once more. Note: this is an Acer Chromebook 11, model C740.

Now I added system-config-printer. On the LXDE menu, I chose, under Preferences, Print Settings. The dialog was locked, and clicking unlock had no effect. So I was unable to add a printer.

So I executed

su -
system-config-printer

The error message was, "cannot open display". I had no choice but to install sudo, add my username in /etc/group, logoff and login, then setup my printer with

sudo system-config-printer

Comments, anyone?

#2 2021-04-16 17:10:06

blackhole

Re: I had to use sudo to setup my printer

You could have tried:

su
system-config-printer

#3 2021-04-16 17:12:13

fsmithred
Administrator

You're running into the changes made to su in buster/beowulf. See the release notes for fixes. https://files.devuan.org/devuan_beowulf … _notes.txt  It's in the "What's new" section near the top.

The print server task includes cups. You could set up the printer by going to localhost:631 in a web browser. When you do any admin tasks, it will ask for root login.

#4 2021-04-17 22:40:30

nauved-rex

blackhole wrote:

You could have tried:

su
system-config-printer

Thank you!

#5 2021-04-17 22:42:41

nauved-rex

fsmithred wrote:

You're running into the changes made to su in buster/beowulf. See the release notes for fixes. https://files.devuan.org/devuan_beowulf … _notes.txt  It's in the "What's new" section near the top.

The print server task includes cups. You could set up the printer by going to localhost:631 in a web browser. When you do any admin tasks, it will ask for root login.

Thank you once again, Admin. I used

su
system-config-printer

Board footer